Bill Gates Reclaims Title Of Richest Person In The World

webfact

Gates reclaims title of richest person in the world

Washington - Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates has regained the title of world's richest person with a fortune valued at 72.7 billion dollars on Bloomberg's billionaire index, Bloomberg news service reported Thursday.

It is the first time the former Microsoft chief executive has held the title since 2007. He took the title away from Mexican telecommunications billionaire Carlos Slim.

The 57-year-old Gates’ net worth grew in recent weeks thanks to a rally on Wall Street. His fortune climb about 10 billion dollars this year, hitting a five-year high Thursday when the stock market closed.

Slim, 73, owns a fortune valued at 72.1 billion dollars, according to Bloomberg, whose billionaires index is updated every day. It dropped more than 2 billion dollars this year after Mexico’s Congress passed a bill to end the market dominance of his America Movil.

The bill would allow regulators to break up phone companies with more than 50 per cent of the market or force them to share their networks. America Movil has 70 per cent of Mexico’s mobile-phone subscribers and 80 per cent of the country’s landlines.

Gates has stakes in more than a dozen publicly traded companies, including the Four Seasons hotel chain, and several closely held operations, Bloomberg said. Less than a quarter of Gates’ fortune is held in Microsoft.

Gates has donated 28 billion dollars to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, a charity working largely in poor countries to improve health and education.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-17

• Like 1

Mind Boggling Numbers.

Indeed.

And yet he's not even the richest ever. John D. Rockefeller's fortune adjusted to what it's current value would be ranges from (depending on calculation)...wait for it...

...US$390 billion to US$660 billion.

• Like 1

There are richer today, Bill gates isn't interested in accumulating welth, assets or the power, he is simply interested in Microsoft, in making it the most successful and efficient. The people that are interested in the welth and the supper powere that presidents could only dream of go through grate strange to make the actuly welth unknown other ways there power is limited.

And know I'm not talking about The Free masons and the imaginary illuminati, but real individuals and families.

While Gates appears to be a philanthropist, I personally watched as a privately-owned non-profit organization in Portland, Oregon got taken over by Big Brother Bill & Melinda Gates, where the services that had been provided for free to poor and homeless people instead were gradually phased out, so mostly under-employed white middle class college kids could get free or low cost health care. They did, however, continue funding programs for homeless teenagers and junkies, but this was already a program in the previously private and very open-to-the-public clinic that had been there before it was taken over and turned corporate.

In other words, their charity organization took over and controlled an enterprise that had helped certain segments of the population, and once having taken it all over, phased out the programs and turned it into a more profit-generating business. I suspect the developing nations are also great revenue-generating businesses for their charity organizations. Not very impressed, but at least someone is doing something to help poorer people, maybe in Africa they truly help I can't say.

I wonder to what extent MySQL affected Larry Ellison's fortune. My guess is that the impact was enormous.

My guess is not much at all - major companies use Oracle and SQL Server editions that are waaayyyy higher up the RDBMS food chain than MySQL.

MongoDB, now that's something else - no RDBMS is safe from it ;)

"Gates has donated 28 billion dollars to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, a charity working largely in poor countries to improve health and education."

I have a lot of respect for Bill Gates due to the above line. Most rich people don't give too sh_t's about the poor.

What I find even more remarkable is the "Giving Pledge" that Bill and Melinda Gates organized with Warren Buffett: they have started an effort to get the super rich to commit at least 50% of their wealth to philanthropy and are reportedly working to expand the list of people who have made the pledge to the mega wealthy all over the world. Even if one wants to argue - not unreasonably - that it's easy to be generous when you still have remaining far more money than you'll ever need, it's still a really fine thing to do that they simply didn't have to and it could make a real difference...

So far the following folks have signed on:

Bill Ackman

Paul Allen

John D. Arnold

Manoj Bhargava

Steve Bing

Nicolas Berggruen

Arthur Blank

Michael Bloomberg

Richard Branson

Eli Broad

Charles Bronfman

Edgar M. Bronfman

Steve Case

John Caudwell

Leon G. Cooperman

Joe Craft

Joyce

Ray Dalio

John Paul DeJoria

John Doerr

Barry Diller and Diane von Furstenberg

Glenn Dubin

Larry Ellison

Chuck Feeney

Andrew Forrest

Ted Forstmann

Phillip Frost

Dan Gilbert

David Green

Jeff Greene

Harold Hamm

Reed Hastings

Lyda Hill

Barron Hilton

Chris Hohn

Jon Huntsman, Sr.

Mo Ibrahim

Carl Icahn

Irwin M. Jacobs

George Kaiser

Vinod Khosla

Sidney Kimmel

Richard Kinder

Kenneth Langone

H.F. Lenfest

Peter B. Lewis

Lorry I. Lokey

George Lucas

Duncan MacMillan

Alfred E. Mann

Joe Mansueto

Bernie Marcus

Red McCombs

Michael Milken

George P. Mitchell

Tom Monaghan

Gordon Moore

John Morgridge

Dustin Moskovitz

Patrice Motsepe

Elon Musk

Jonathan M. Nelson

Pierre Omidyar

Bernard Osher

Ronald Perelman

Jorge M. Perez

Peter George Peterson

T. Boone Pickens

Victor Pinchuk

Hasso Plattner

Vladimir Potanin

Azim Premji

Julian Robertson

David Rockefeller

Edward W. Rose

David M. Rubenstein

David Sainsbury

John Sall

Henry Samueli

Herb Sandler

Vicki and Roger Sant

Denny Sanford

Lynn Schusterman

Walter Scott, Jr.

Thomas Secunda

Harold Simmons

Jim and Marilyn Simons

Jeff Skoll

John A. Sobrato

John Michael Sobrato

Patrick Soon-Shiong

Ted Stanley

Tom Steyer

James E. Stowers

Vincent Tan

Claire and Leonard Tow

Ted Turner

Albert Lee Ueltschi

Dr. Romesh Wadhwani

Sanford Weill

Shelby White, widow of non-signatory Leon Levy

Charles Zegar

Mark Zuckerberg

That's worth a minimum of something like $125 billion if they come through.

• Like 1

"Gates has donated 28 billion dollars to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, a charity working largely in poor countries to improve health and education."

I have a lot of respect for Bill Gates due to the above line. Most rich people don't give too sh_t's about the poor.

What I find even more remarkable is the "Giving Pledge" that Bill and Melinda Gates organized with Warren Buffett: they have started an effort to get the super rich to commit at least 50% of their wealth to philanthropy and are reportedly working to expand the list of people who have made the pledge to the mega wealthy all over the world. Even if one wants to argue - not unreasonably - that it's easy to be generous when you still have remaining far more money than you'll ever need, it's still a really fine thing to do that they simply didn't have to and it could make a real difference...

*Snipped*

Crikey, that's a lot of letter writing for me.

Edited by Scott

*Snipped*

Crikey, that's a lot of letter writing for me.

Yeah, I figure they could each give me $50,000 grand and it wouldn't make the tiniest bit of difference in their life - they wouldn't even know it if it fell out of their pocket - but I'd never have to work again. And they'd still have plenty left over for somewhat less important stuff like feeding starving children and such.

Edited by Scott

Windows 8 should help him lose a bit of that wealth. It is terrible and nosy. You have to have that Microsoft account for so many things. I bought a new Windows 8 Ultrabook but kept it 3 days then sold it on. It was a good reminder why I changed to Apple 6 years ago.

Money you do not spend and money you do not have is the same.

It's a clever turn of phrase - and has an appealing logic - but it simply isn't so, is it?

There's a massive difference between having millions (or billions) in reserve and having none. The ability to buy virtually whatever you want without concern for how much it will deplete those reserves (or what's left for your progeny) - that's quite different from having only enough to buy something you want leaving no remainder.

But it's obviously true that after a certain point, it wouldn't make much difference in your life - but it could make a difference for others ( hence the philanthropy).

Edited by SteeleJoe

This is all false

they don't even mention the Rothschilds They are said to be worth 10s of Trillions

Yeah, it's a conspiracy!!! Actually, Chapo Guzman may be up there on the list, but since he probably does nor use banks for deposits in his name his wealth is difficult to calculate.

Bill Gates is a good man. Funny how flashy Paul Allen is compared to Bill and differently they spend their wealth. Is Gates still passing over his children when he dies with most of his wealth? Not sure I agree with that one!

Gates has stakes in more than a dozen publicly traded companies, including the Four Seasons hotel chain, and several closely held operations, Bloomberg said

Monsanto, Monsanto, Monsanto! Watch out! They are taking over the worlds agricultural supplies and it's all GM (and Bill Gates won't eat any of it!)

This is all false

they don't even mention the Rothschilds They are said to be worth 10s of Trillions

Yeah, it's a conspiracy!!! Actually, Chapo Guzman may be up there on the list, but since he probably does nor use banks for deposits in his name his wealth is difficult to calculate.

Bill Gates is a good man. Funny how flashy Paul Allen is compared to Bill and differently they spend their wealth. Is Gates still passing over his children when he dies with most of his wealth? Not sure I agree with that one!

The Rothschilds own the Federal Reserve, therefore the USA, they own the worlds Central Banks. Comparing their wealth, (which is world controlling), to that of Bill Gates, is like comparing that belonging to Bill Gates to any TV forum member. There can be only estimates but very clever people in the know put their assets not in the tens of trillions, but hundreds of trillions. Some estimates have it as high as 50% of the worlds money, which puts it somewhere in the region of 500 Trillion. They are kept company by some other unbelievably wealthy european families and they control pretty much everything and everybody. I saw an excellent interview with one of the Rothschilds, I think it was the current head of family Evelyn de Rothschild who said that his Grandfather was responsible for starting the suffragette movement (he did this covertly) and getting women the vote and the right to work. he was asked what the motivation was for his Grandfather to do that and he said it was nothing to do with equal opportunities for women, he said that by giving women the vote and the right to work, almost overnight they doubled the amount of people that could be taxed in the countries that implemented it!

Check out Monsanto, Bill Gates and also the Rothschilds but be prepared to lose about 3-4 hours before you even know it ;)

Gates has stakes in more than a dozen publicly traded companies, including the Four Seasons hotel chain, and several closely held operations, Bloomberg said

Monsanto, Monsanto, Monsanto! Watch out! They are taking over the worlds agricultural supplies and it's all GM (and Bill Gates won't eat any of it!)

This is all false

The Rothschilds own the Federal Reserve, therefore the USA, they own the worlds Central Banks. Comparing their wealth, (which is world controlling), to that of Bill Gates, is like comparing that belonging to Bill Gates to any TV forum member. There can be only estimates but very clever people in the know put their assets not in the tens of trillions, but hundreds of trillions. Some estimates have it as high as 50% of the worlds money, which puts it somewhere in the region of 500 Trillion. They are kept company by some other unbelievably wealthy european families and they control pretty much everything and everybody. I saw an excellent interview with one of the Rothschilds, I think it was the current head of family Evelyn de Rothschild who said that his Grandfather was responsible for starting the suffragette movement (he did this covertly) and getting women the vote and the right to work. he was asked what the motivation was for his Grandfather to do that and he said it was nothing to do with equal opportunities for women, he said that by giving women the vote and the right to work, almost overnight they doubled the amount of people that could be taxed in the countries that implemented it!

Check out Monsanto, Bill Gates and also the Rothschilds but be prepared to lose about 3-4 hours before you even know it ;)

Been a while seem I have seen the data, but I recall seeing the richest Rothschild individuals see like 40 or 50 billion for one dude that was or is an investment banker and one dude worth about 20 billion. No doubt family has money.

Been a while seem I have seen the data, but I recall seeing the richest Rothschild individuals see like 40 or 50 billion for one dude that was or is an investment banker and one dude worth about 20 billion. No doubt family has money.

In 1998 a conservative estimate of the real wealthy had the Rockerfellers at 7 Trillion and the Rothschilds at 64 trillion. I know its off thread but these are the people that control your everyday lives. Spend some time and dig your nose in, it's quite fascinating. Some of the super wealthy, and there are lots, simply choose and structure things so that they do not appear in Forbes rich list and the like, so there we have it, something closely in common with the super mega ultra wealthy....non of us are on the rich list.

Edited by GentlemanJim

In 1998 a conservative estimate of the real wealthy had the Rockerfellers at 7 Trillion and the Rothschilds at 64 trillion. I know its off thread but these are the people that control your everyday lives. Spend some time and dig your nose in, it's quite fascinating. Some of the super wealthy, and there are lots, simply choose and structure things so that they do not appear in Forbes rich list and the like, so there we have it, something closely in common with the super mega ultra wealthy....non of us are on the rich list.

The Man Who May Become the Richest Rothschild

In five short years, the man in line to be the fifth Baron Rothschild is close to becoming a billionaire through a web of private equity investments in Ukraine, Eastern Europe and most significant, his partnership stake in Atticus Capital, the fast-growing $14 billion hedge fund.

The ascent of Mr. Rothschild is a vivid illustration of how the still glittering, if somewhat faded, prestige and wealth of Europe’s most storied banking family has been reinvigorated from bold bets in this era’s new-money investment vehicles.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/09/business/09rothschild.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I wonder to what extent MySQL affected Larry Ellison's fortune. My guess is that the impact was enormous.

I admire Bill Gates, he is one of the few that have really done something to help people. Most just do F... all when they have made it big. Respect to you Bill!

• Like 1