Expired Usa Drivers License, What To Do?

BobTH

I retired in October 2011 in the USA and moved here in Bangkok at that time. I had a Tennessee driver’s license only because I worked there and it expired October 4th, 2012. I plan to visit my parents in August this year and will be at their home in Indiana. It appears that I will not be able to obtain an Indiana drivers license there because I am not a resident. I don't have a residence in any place now except Bangkok and I do not have a Thailand driver’s license either, nor plan to get one in the immediate future. I use the public transport here in Bangkok and get around just fine and my girlfriend drives here also so she can take me someplace if I want.

I was just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem also and if so I would appreciate if anyone knows of a simple way to get a USA drivers license while I am home, do they make special exceptions for expats?

Thanks
in advance

Edited by BobTH

You have a couple of choices. Don't forget if you get residence in a state that has an income tax, you may have to file and pay.

I don't know what Ill. residency requirements are to hold a license. Some state require that you live there a certain amount of time, and prove it.

One option is always S. Dakota. Online you can find a private, established mail forwarding service that will give you an address, and enough paperwork to get a driver's license and establish residency. S. Dakota has no income tax and is probably the most lenient about physical presence.

You find online a forwarding service and they will actually help you do the paperwork to get you your license and establish residence. The license is good for 4 years and then you have to decide whether to go back and renew.

The mail forwarding is nice anyway. You can change your mailing address with them with a simple phone call or email, without going through the hassle of actually changing your address for mail.

A lot of snowbirds who essentially live in the US in a motor home, and expats use this service.

• Like 2

Just go get a Thai license and a IDP and you will be good to go.

I think you are right, that is what I should probably do. I ride a bicycle around on the roads here in Bangkok but I am not comfortable yet with driving a car yet. I do not go to the USA until late August so I have plenty of time, I think you are correct though; and I think I will start working in that direction. Thanks.

The OP should check if the Tennessee DPS (or whatever entity issues DL's there) has an on line presence and see if it can be renewed online. Some states allow you to renew an expired DL within 6 or 12 months of expiration if there is already a DL on file with that agency. The only exception was for older licenses where they did not have a digital image of the applicant on file. In that instance, a personal visit would be required to renew the DL.

I wonder how they manage to issue a South Dakota DL without the applicant being there to have the picture taken? Or maybe you upload any picture to them and and they accept it? Maybe that's where Lindsay Lohan gets her DL's these days.

• Like 1

The OP should check if the Tennessee DPS (or whatever entity issues DL's there) has an on line presence and see if it can be renewed online. Some states allow you to renew an expired DL within 6 or 12 months of expiration if there is already a DL on file with that agency. The only exception was for older licenses where they did not have a digital image of the applicant on file. In that instance, a personal visit would be required to renew the DL.

I wonder how they manage to issue a South Dakota DL without the applicant being there to have the picture taken? Or maybe you upload any picture to them and and they accept it? Maybe that's where Lindsay Lohan gets her DL's these days.

Good idea, I will check online to see if Tennessee allows renewals online. Thanks for that suggestion.

Yep I renewed my Florida license that way a few years ago and then immediately got called for jury duty and played hell proving with mail and such that I was not in country. No problems other then that though, I used my mothers address to have it registered and sent to and then she forwarded it to me.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

I spent a few years traveling the world on a motorcycle. While in Africa in 2008, my Washington State D.L. expired. My I.D.P. had expired in 2007. Eleven months later (July, 2009), somewhere in western Europe, I lost that expired license. So at that point, I figured I needed to head back to the U.S. and get a new license - I figured some German or Swiss cop would not see the humor in the situation. I learned that if I went over one year not having a valid license, I would have to redo all the testing - written and driving. So just a few weeks short of a year, I went to Michigan, where my mail was delivered (to a brother).

I got a fax from the Washington State D.L. people regarding my expired license (auto and motorcycle endorsements), and was able to use some bank statements going to my bro's address to obtain a Michigan D.L. I haven't lived in Michigan since 1985.

I registered to vote at that time at the license bureau. Checking with my brother, he never got a voter i.d. card from the county. I've been "disenfranchised" - oh well! don't blame me, I didn't vote for whatshisname.

Edited by qdinthailand

BobTH,

Get a Thai license. You don't have to drive on the roads in Bangkok to get one. Just drive around the test track near Sukhumvit soi 62.

Thanks Neal, that is good to know. Getting a Thai license is the right thing to do, I thought about renewing my Tennesse license online but I would have to lie about my present address and that is really not how I work. Then I can get the International license and be good to go, I have plenty of time to get it all done since I do not travel to the USA until August 27. One person replied that he did it online and right after he got called for Jury duty, that would be just my luck also. I do not own a car but my girlfriend here has a Ford Aspire that I could use for the testing. Thanks again everyone that replied, I love this Thai Visa site for things like this. thumbsup.gif

BobTH,

Get a Thai license. You don't have to drive on the roads in Bangkok to get one. Just drive around the test track near Sukhumvit soi 62.

Thanks Neal, that is good to know. Getting a Thai license is the right thing to do, I thought about renewing my Tennesse license online but I would have to lie about my present address and that is really not how I work. Then I can get the International license and be good to go, I have plenty of time to get it all done since I do not travel to the USA until August 27. One person replied that he did it online and right after he got called for Jury duty, that would be just my luck also. I do not own a car but my girlfriend here has a Ford Aspire that I could use for the testing. Thanks again everyone that replied, I love this Thai Visa site for things like this. thumbsup.gif

Take into account that for the Thai license you first get a 1 year (temporary) license. After that one has expired you can get a full 5 year license. On the 12 year temporary license normally no IDP will be issued, only on the 5 year ones.

Thai license first year is regarded as a temporary license and is stated so on the license This license is NOT illiagable for a IDP. After one year you can apply for a 5 year Thai DL and this license you can obtain a IDP. Most states (not all) you can drive and rent cars on your Thai DL. I just returned from the US and used my Thai DL.

Edited by khwaibah

BobTH,

Take into account that for the Thai license you first get a 1 year (temporary) license. After that one has expired you can get a full 5 year license. On the 12 year temporary license normally no IDP will be issued, only on the 5 year ones.

Dam; there is always a catch lol. Well it is still the right way to go; so I quess I will just have to let my 84 year old father haul my butt around this year and then I can haul his around the next trip. Thanks for this info.

Thai license first year is regarded as a temporary license and is stated so on the license This license is NOT illiagable for a IDP. After one year you can apply for a 5 year Thai DL and this license you can obtain a IDP. Most states (not all) you can drive and rent cars on your Thai DL. I just returned from the US and used my Thai DL.

So when you say you used your Thai drivers license this year I am assuming you mean a 5 year Thai license and not the first one year temporary type, is that correct? Thanks in advance.

JFYI In my case there was no lying being done as my official address was my mothers back home while I was overseas and nothing wrong with that.. I just needed to prove that to the courts to be officially released from jury duty..

• Like 1

The United States signed an agreement with many other countries to honor
a foreign driver license for visitors to the United States for at least
one year from the date of arrival. This privilege is made possible as a
result of the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic (Geneva, 1949),
and the Convention on the Regulation of American Automotive Traffic
(Washington, 1943), both of which have been ratified by the United
States.

• Like 1

Also, most states DO NOT recognize the "International Drivers License" even thought most will issue one but all states recognize a legal foreign drivers license as stated previously.

• Like 1

States.

Tyey ratify FULL licences. THe One year one is a provisional licence.

States.

Like they can read Thai! It doesn't matter.

• Like 1

Assuming there are no onerous or significant income/cap gains/investment income issues I might try to establish a residency with the parents in Indiana. (Most jury duty summons work off voter registration records rather than DMV records.) This might be as simple as changing the name on one of the utility bills for the parents' home to that of the OP, or it may be even simpler by just saying you've moved from Tennessee to Indiana to care for your aging parents. You may not even be required to take a road test, as the Tennessee license may be considered OK for road-worthiness? Most DMVs do allow for the on-line renewal of a driver's license but typically just one cycle as they do want to check your vision at least every twelve years.

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

States.

It is in English, so I hope they can read that. You can be sure that in case of an accident things like this will be examined.

• Like 1

Looks like from their website, you can renew on-line and they will mail the license to you.

And states this can be done up to 5 years from the time that the license expired

https://apps.tn.gov/tndlr/renew-instr.html

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I had already taken a look at the Tennessee renew site but the problem is that I am pretty sure they might have a few questions if the forward address is in Bangkok, lol. I don't have any relatives there and I really don't want to ask my previous landlord to pick it up at my old address and send it to me. It just all seems a bit shady to me. I think my best route is getting a Thail one year license and just using it to drive if I have to when in the USA, if they question about it being a temporary one I will just plead ignorance and hope for a warning perhaps. Most of my driving will be done there in my hometown and my family is well known plus I happen to have a younger sister that works at the police department. When the one year Thail license expires I will go to get the 5 year and everything should be good to go from then on. Again thanks for your comments however.

Edited by BobTH

Looks like from their website, you can renew on-line and they will mail the license to you.

And states this can be done up to 5 years from the time that the license expired

https://apps.tn.gov/tndlr/renew-instr.html

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

They would likely mail the renewed license to the address on the license, which may or may not be helpful for the OP?

I'm not sure they'd mail the license to Thailand or Indiana? And if using a credit card for the fee it might help if the CC billing address aligned?

• Like 1

Assuming there are no onerous or significant income/cap gains/investment income issues I might try to establish a residency with the parents in Indiana. (Most jury duty summons work off voter registration records rather than DMV records.) This might be as simple as changing the name on one of the utility bills for the parents' home to that of the OP, or it may be even simpler by just saying you've moved from Tennessee to Indiana to care for your aging parents. You may not even be required to take a road test, as the Tennessee license may be considered OK for road-worthiness? Most DMVs do allow for the on-line renewal of a driver's license but typically just one cycle as they do want to check your vision at least every twelve years.

Due to low voter registrations this is less and less the norm and why they now dip into the much larger license pool.. They also free up the voters registration this way by NOT tying it to jury duty..

Edited by WarpSpeed

States.

It is in English, so I hope they can read that. You can be sure that in case of an accident things like this will be examined.

This............thumbsup.gif Or a driving infraction for that matter, it ain't Thailand!! No 200b lunches to be bought...

]Six years ago I went back to the states for six months and had in actual fact no real residence of my own. I found it exceedingly easy to "establish residence" and get licenses in 2 different states. I can't remember what I did in California (I'm pretty sure I just wrote down the address where I was staying with family). In Tennessee, I think I may have shown a bill with my name and my dad's address on it (he was a resident of Chattanooga)...

I can't really remember what I did but I do know it wasn't hard - and I didn't even have a passport or any other legal ID.

Oh, and I hadn't lived in the states for 20 years at the time, so obviously I had no record of being established there.

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

You can be sure that in case of an accident things like this will be examined.

coffee1.gif Just like they do here. The police may not but the insurance company will.

Yes, but with IDP not required insurance will not be an issue, provided a valid license can be shown of course.