Moving To Samui With 2 Kids, Need Advices

SBK,

My experiences differ. I don't speak fluent Thai let alone Thaai.

My wife's dad used to be a song theaw driver, so with my wife we drove mostly for free, if we needed one, back in the days, on my own I definately did not pay Thai prices.

Hi Amelia

I see you from Switzerland. I am living in Samui 3 Years now and I am Swiss too. Here I have a lot of French and German families’ friends who have also kids. I am sure I can help you in one way. Please contact me for personal thinks per mail, in French or german.

• 7 months later...

the issue of dulwich is dead as is the one in phuket they pulled out years ago. it is not and will not happen on samui!!!!. If you have children and you value a good education don't bring them to samui. there is not one school on this island that has a staff of teachers with degrees in education yet the fees are on the moon.

• 6 months later...

Amila,

I don't want to bust any bubbles, but working here in Thailand is very difficult. Even for 'free' work you need a work permit. And many 'jobs' are restricted to Thai Nationals.

It is not impossible, but i think if you not really need it, then just find a hobby instead. (One that does not look like work, and keeps you from getting bored quickly.

If i understand correctly you want to go to Thailand on retirement. Are your 50 years or older?

I don't know if your children can come with you on such a visa. (non immigrant type 'o' visa)

If you don't want to do a border run every 90 days you need 800.000 baht in the bank, or the same amout in monthly income measured over 1 year. I heared the 800.000 in the bank is the smoothest way to apply for a visa and need the least amount of paperwork.

On this same website you can find a lot of visa information. I would research it very thoroughly before making any further plans. It might be different than you initially thought.

Good luck.

I don t mind people bustin my bubbles, Khun Jean! That s why I m here for, actually, to get informations that are right, as I have no clue! Only thing I know is that whenever I come back from the place, I miss it deeply, because I like the people there, I like the food, I like the heat, and well, I just feel I got to do it once in my life, go there for a while, because it s been said everytime I come back and then I ve let people telling me I could never do anything like that, having two kids, that it s just a pipe dream and stuff. My mother says a saying that I actually like a lot "better to die with sorrows having done something wrong than die with regrets not having lived what you wanted to". So this time, I ll do it as I feel I could do it in a sensitive way (that pension I get will stop maybe soon, basically, in a year and a half or so), it s the last year I can do it "easily".)

I m 32 years old, not 50 yet!

I read a good bit what has been written here on the forum last night, seems you re saying things that might disturb people!!! :o Personnally, I like people saying those stuff too, coz it s reality, can t be all good, and if you actually get those infos, it might actually keep you out of trouble!

I m a big dreamer, I know that (all the people knowing me know that!), naive and sometimes to the extent "dizziness" (Queen Dizzy is my nick name!), wich is no danger here in my country (Switzerland), as the place is pretty safe, and well, you re not alone in your country. Stil, after a few.... "funny" experiences in Thailand (that were all my fault, like leaving 2000 euros in cash, in my bag in the bungalow, and then realising they got robbed!!! I spent 2 days in the bungalow resort s dump looking for my bin, coz I thought I could have thrown them in it! Imagine the pic, Queen Dizzy Farang with her flip flops on a bin hill, litterally, with a shocked face,freaked out looking for all her money. When people wud ask me what the f... i was doing, I didn t dare I was looking for so much money (was afraid that others would start looking too), so was just answering "oh, nooo... nothing special, just lost something insignificant... Do you know where they bring all the Samui s bin, BIG DUMP, I d like to give a look!!!!!!" (and no, I don t drink, don t do drugs, it s all natural!!! :D

The next day, coming back from the beach, I found the cleaning ladies looking in my stuff, in the room, so I stopped opening all the bins and understood I can t be there the way I am home, have to be carefull.

I got friends put in jail, friend swho got ripped off, others who got involved in big fights, and 2 years ago we ended up the fullmoon party with a guy crying on our shoulder, coz he had been raped...

So ye, being so naive, and though knowing that you have to be responsible, carefull, doesn t scare me but pushes me to come on forums like this one so I can really do what has to be done and stuff (especially with 2 kids, I can t let any big trouble happen. What could be seen as a shit experience but funny souvenirs after a few days when you re by yourself, could be a freaking disaster for kids.

Ok, so for the work it doesn t look easy then... well, I suppose I ll check it when there as well. For the visa, I ll call the consulate, but I do have the "required" amount monthly, so hopefully will work! Will let you know! And once again, thanks to you, Khun Jean, good to meet people like you to keep my eyes open a bit, I actually feel more safe! :D You re in Bangkok, now? What are you doing there?

I got friends

Best come over the summer have a look. A Great island I lived there for a year but terribly depressing for a non thai women but the kids and my husband loved it! Night mare regaring quality schooling - non Thai of course as st Josephs was a good Thai school. Weird bunch of foreigners though! Bonne chance! Moi je dirais non, reste un swiss specialement pour les enfants.

Hi everybody,

I ve been willing to move to Thailand for the last years,and then always changed my mind at the last moment,with people telling me it was madness (which might be true in a way, but now decided to live what I want to live.) I need advices from people who did it already before me...

My situation is that I have 2 kids (aged 7.5 and 9), both french speaking (but just started english courses and smart!), Im by myself with them, but basically get a pension so wouldn t really need to work there (although I d rather do something). I ve been looking on the net about any school possibilities in Samui, and that s not very easy.

I ll be going to Mae Nam I reckon (if I can find a 3 bedroom house there)in september or october this year.I plan to employ somebody to help me in the house, does anybody know if it s easy to find somebody reliable, speakin english, and maybe with a driving license for that (or is it really a pipe dream?!)

Also, what kind of visa do we need? (we plan to stay between 6-8 months, for a start, and then we ll see what happens).

Any constructive advises?! :-) Thanks anyway to those who can help me on that one!

Frankly this sounds crazy.

Have you ever been to Samui? Thailand? Samui is basically considered lawless.

Is there any reason to believe this will be good for the kids?

Hi everybody,

I ve been willing to move to Thailand for the last years,and then always changed my mind at the last moment,with people telling me it was madness (which might be true in a way, but now decided to live what I want to live.) I need advices from people who did it already before me...

My situation is that I have 2 kids (aged 7.5 and 9), both french speaking (but just started english courses and smart!), Im by myself with them, but basically get a pension so wouldn t really need to work there (although I d rather do something). I ve been looking on the net about any school possibilities in Samui, and that s not very easy.

I ll be going to Mae Nam I reckon (if I can find a 3 bedroom house there)in september or october this year.I plan to employ somebody to help me in the house, does anybody know if it s easy to find somebody reliable, speakin english, and maybe with a driving license for that (or is it really a pipe dream?!)

Also, what kind of visa do we need? (we plan to stay between 6-8 months, for a start, and then we ll see what happens).

Any constructive advises?! :-) Thanks anyway to those who can help me on that one!

Why did you dig this one up after 4 months? :o

Hi everybody,

Why did you dig this one up after 4 months? :o

Found it TODAY on View New Posts!!