English Pronunciation Tutor Wanted

willyumcr

First, Issan is not Lao, as Lao has hundreds of words not used in Thai, Shan, Northern Issan or North Eastern Issan.

Although all the dialects are considered to be of the TAI language, spoken from India to Taiwan.

As for English, are you seeking the most common pronunciation - American, or the less common British or Australian accents...???

• Like 1

First, Issan is not Lao, as Lao has hundreds of words not used in Thai, Shan, Northern Issan or North Eastern Issan.

Although all the dialects are considered to be of the TAI language, spoken from India to Taiwan.

As for English, are you seeking the most common pronunciation - American, or the less common British or Australian accents...???

My G/F speaks Thai and Lao. The area she is from in Issan speaks mostly Lao opposed to some parts of Issan which speak mostly Cambodian and they don't have the same pronunciation. Sorry for the confusion as Thai dialects are not a strong point for me. I would prefer American English but not so sure why American is the most common as I have lived here for 7 years and have found a lot more British than Americans living here.

Depending on her level, I recommend a book with CD specifically designed to help with pronunciation called 'Ship or Sheep'.

Thanks for that. Well worth a try. Any sugestion where I can find.

They're actually "ship" in New Zilind and "sheep" in Orstraileea

• Like 1

Depending on her level, I recommend a book with CD specifically designed to help with pronunciation called 'Ship or Sheep'.

Hello again. After Goggling that book I found it on line with voice help. Also I found lots of YouTube videos with pronunciation help. So......will have G/F do some of these practice stuff. Thanks for you suggestion and I should have Goggled it first as lots of stuff there on line.

Aussies can't say NO. It always sounds like NOI for some reason. I knew an Aussie English teacher that wasn't even aware until I pointed it out to him. It's not like a strong NOI but they say NO then raise their jaw which creates the y sound. I love Aussies but when they say NO it sounds like NOI.

Look at the Beatles; "I SOAR a film today Oh Boy" There's no R in SAW but that's considered proper English. English is almost impossible to define.

I agree with you. How do you say the number that comes after 39? Most English speakers would pronounce it fourdee, with no hint of a T. Or the word sweet - most would say sweedt with no aspirated T as it should be correctly spoken.

English is a very bastardised language. But as to the OP's original question, he's probably best to consider using a "middle English" (dare I say Oxford English?) accent as this will more uniformly conform to written English and word/letter structure.

Hollywood is the big spreader of American English. That's why many Brits can understand American but often can't be understood by Americans.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Aussies can't say NO. It always sounds like NOI for some reason. I knew an Aussie English teacher that wasn't even aware until I pointed it out to him. It's not like a strong NOI but they say NO then raise their jaw which creates the y sound. I love Aussies but when they say NO it sounds like NOI.

Actually, depends what part of Aussie the speaker came from. Even in Aussie and NZ we have dialects of English that are virtually impossible for a non-Aussie or non-Kiwi to pick up on.

Hollywood is the big spreader of American English. That's why many Brits can understand American but often can't be understood by Americans.

Did you know that copious amounts of muck and diseases are spread!!cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Actually, depends what part of Aussie the speaker came from. Even in Aussie and NZ we have dialects of English that are virtually impossible for a non-Aussie or non-Kiwi to pick up on.

Then why bother to speak to us then??blink.png.

Define who "us" is. I don't understand your question anyway - are you trying to make some specific point? Please clarify.

Look at the Beatles; "I SOAR a film today Oh Boy" There's no R in SAW but that's considered proper English. English is almost impossible to define.

I agree with you. How do you say the number that comes after 39? Most English speakers would pronounce it fourdee, with no hint of a T. Or the word sweet - most would say sweedt with no aspirated T as it should be correctly spoken.

English is a very bastardised language. But as to the OP's original question, he's probably best to consider using a "middle English" (dare I say Oxford English?) accent as this will more uniformly conform to written English and word/letter structure.

. The "T" in sweet is aspirated if he word is spoken alone - try it.

In the phrase " sweet bun" , the T would have the aspiration "absorbed" by the "b" in bun. This

is well-known phonetics.

Define who "us" is. I don't understand your question anyway - are you trying to make some specific point? Please clarify.

If I (as an Englishman) cannot understand what you are saying then what is the point of having a conversation?

Example: If someone was talking to you in Hebrew what would you respond with?

The Beatles don't count as they are 'scousers'!!

If I (as an Englishman) cannot understand what you are saying then what is the point of having a conversation?

Example: If someone was talking to you in Hebrew what would you respond with?

You have misunderstood my post. I said " Even in Aussie and NZ we have dialects of English that are virtually impossible for a non-Aussie or non-Kiwi to pick up on." This means that we have slight vagaries of accent/dialect in our spoken English that we can determine between but a non-Aussie or non-Kiwi won't.

A good example is that most Americans and English that I've met are unable to tell a Kiwi from an Aussie based on speech unless the Aussie or Kiwi has a very strong accent that highlights the key differences in our two forms of English. To an Aussie or a Kiwi, the accents are miles apart. And even inside each of those, we have a range of dialects that can be differentiated only by our own ear.

Just like in say a range of villages in Sussex only miles apart, the inhabitants will recognise somebody from a specific village based on a slight variation in their accent, that to an outsider sounds identical.

. The "T" in sweet is aspirated if he word is spoken alone - try it.

In the phrase " sweet bun" , the T would have the aspiration "absorbed" by the "b" in bun. This

is well-known phonetics.

I don't disagree, if spoken properly and in accordance with the Oxford pronunciation. But in everyday conversation as many will say sweedt (closed mouth dt at the end) as will aspirate the T with an open mouth - try it.

Now, now. Your ignorance and arrogance are showing.

Dialects naturally occur when communities of language speakers are separated or overlap (sometimes called "rub against each other" in linguistics). The dominant (most powerful) region's dialect almost always becomes the official "language" as such. That is why English contains so many words with French origins as well as two words for the same/similar things. The ruling French-speaking Norman rulers used the French word for cow meat -- beef, which they ate, while the English-speaking peasants/serfs/slaves spoke "Anglo-Saxon" and used the Germanic word -- cow, which they raised but rarely ate. Over hundreds of years the Norman rulers became anglicized as well as the power shifted and what we call English today became the dominant and official language.

As the British empire expanded, English-speaking communities were spread around the world. These communities were separated by great distances and so naturally developed their own dialects with the differences becoming more pronounced with the decline and almost complete collapse of the British empire. As it declined, the USA, left largely unscathed by WW II, rose to dominance. With its rise in power came much greater use of American English. Now the UK, as a member state in the EU, has its dialect largely used in European business, especially since English is the lingua franca of the EU.

I get your point now.

It is even worse in England as if you have someone from the North East such as Newcastle having a conversation with someone from Wolverhampton or a carrot cruncher from East Anglia then it woul be like a bunch of confused aliens from outer space making noises to each other!!

Dialects naturally occur when communities of language speakers are separated or overlap (sometimes called "rub against each other" in linguistics). The dominant (most powerful) region's dialect almost always becomes the official "language" as such. That is why English contains so many words with French origins as well as two words for the same/similar things. The ruling French-speaking Norman rulers used the French word for cow meat -- beef, which they ate, while the English-speaking peasants/serfs/slaves spoke "Anglo-Saxon" and used the Germanic word -- cow, which they raised but rarely ate. Over hundreds of years the Norman rulers became anglicized as well as the power shifted and what we call English today became the dominant and official language.

As the British empire expanded, English-speaking communities were spread around the world. These communities were separated by great distances and so naturally developed their own dialects with the differences becoming more pronounced with the decline and almost complete collapse of the British empire. As it declined, the USA, left largely unscathed by WW II, rose to dominance. With its rise in power came much greater use of American English. Now the UK, as a member state in the EU, has its dialect largely used in European business, especially since English is the lingua franca of the EU.

My long post about dialect, power and language use was in response to sichonsteve's post commenting on Amerigrish.

Edited by asupeartea

"Now, now. Your ignorance and arrogance are showing".

So using Wickileaks or something similar makes you clever does it??

Go on, tell me you never plagiarised this from another source and these words are purely on account of your expertise on the subjectclap2.gif.

If I am wrong on this, remind me never to arrange to meet you in a pub for a nights stimulating conversation!!!w00t.gif.

Sent from my little pink Nokia that my wife gave me when she upgraded to an I-phone 5.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE