Buddhist Amulet

ika

Hello,

I just spent 7 months in Thailand which was life changing to me.I made a lot of close friends. When I left one of my friends gave my a nearly 100 year old amulet (the one on the left in the picture).
My question is, I understand there are things you have to do and respect while wearing these amulets. Like not taking a shower with it, praying when you take it off in the evening, not drinking alcohol while wearing it etc.

Could anyone please tell me what exactly are the rules? And what are the prayers you are suppose to do?

I respect this amulet a lot and would like to do right and be able to follow the rules as I wear it with pride.

Thank you!

post-164564-0-69630000-1369066817_thumb.

Could anyone please tell me what exactly are the rules? And what are the prayers you are suppose to do?

I respect this amulet a lot and would like to do right and be able to follow the rules as I wear it with pride.

The amulet on the right is Phra Setthi Nawakot, which is supposed to make you rich. The one on the left is in the style of the famous "Phra Somdet," made by LP Toh (1887-1981) and his students. If it was the genuine article it would be worth over 3 million baht now.

If you are a Buddhist, try to keep the 5 Precepts. Otherwise, just don't have the amulet around the lower parts of your body, like in a back pocket. When Thais take off or put on an amulet, they usually put it between their palms and touch it to their forehead - perhaps silently reciting the Three Refuges.

• Like 2

I refuse to have one though my wife would have gladly bought me a good one. They are not Buddhist in any meaningful sense of the word and are wrapped up in Thailand's numerous animism and cultural practices. You often see some well dodgy Thai types with a neckful of them.

Here's some useful links.

http://thebuddhasface.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/luck-thai-buddhist-amulets-power-to.html

http://www.thebuddhasface.co.uk/thai-buddha-amulets-121-c.asp

http://www.thebuddhasface.co.uk/thai-buddhist-and-buddha-amulets-130-c.asp

I refuse to have one though my wife would have gladly bought me a good one. They are not Buddhist in any meaningful sense of the word and are wrapped up in Thailand's numerous animism and cultural practices. You often see some well dodgy Thai types with a neckful of them.

http://thebuddhasface.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/luck-thai-buddhist-amulets-power-to.html

I realize that this is a HUGE business in Thailand. And wherever there is this much money involved (an industry worth 10 BILLION baht a year, I read in one of the links) it's not good. It becomes a money making business and loses its purpose.

But what do you mean by "They are not Buddhist in any meaningful sense of the word" ? They are made by monks with the image of Buddha. Like Christians wearing a cross around their neck. I suppose that in the beginning these amulets were not suppose to become a money industry, but rather to protect and comfort the owner. How come you think they are not Buddhist?

The amulet on the right is Phra Setthi Nawakot, which is supposed to make you rich. The one on the left is in the style of the famous "Phra Somdet," made by LP Toh (1887-1981) and his students. If it was the genuine article it would be worth over 3 million baht now.

If you are a Buddhist, try to keep the 5 Precepts. Otherwise, just don't have the amulet around the lower parts of your body, like in a back pocket. When Thais take off or put on an amulet, they usually put it between their palms and touch it to their forehead - perhaps silently reciting the Three Refuges.

I have worn three for the last 23 years and would not be separated from them.

I have a serious interest in learning more but my Thai wife and friends pooh-pooh this as not an avenue for farang.

Any suggestions where to go further? I seem to find very little useful on internet searches. wai2.gif

I have worn three for the last 23 years and would not be separated from them.

I have a serious interest in learning more but my Thai wife and friends pooh-pooh this as not an avenue for farang.

Any suggestions where to go further? I seem to find very little useful on internet searches. wai2.gif

Me too I had difficult to find anything decent on the internet. But the website that Jimmy gave earlier in the thread proves useful! Go and have a look there. And also this one I just found: http://www.thailandamulets.com/index.php

I'm sorry to hear about your wife. The Thai friends I made in Thailand were proud and happy about that I was so interested in their religion and the amulets. They said it's rare for a farang to be so interested in amulets. They gladly answered the questions I had. And when I left I had 6 Buddha images with me that they had given me!

I realize that this is a HUGE business in Thailand. And wherever there is this much money involved (an industry worth 10 BILLION baht a year, I read in one of the links) it's not good. It becomes a money making business and loses its purpose.

But what do you mean by "They are not Buddhist in any meaningful sense of the word" ? They are made by monks with the image of Buddha. Like Christians wearing a cross around their neck. I suppose that in the beginning these amulets were not suppose to become a money industry, but rather to protect and comfort the owner. How come you think they are not Buddhist?

There are a lot of temples in Thailand that seem more interested in making money than spreading the message of the Buddha and amulets are a big part of that business. Go to Chacensao if you want to see a big business temple. I made a video of my trip. Wheras Wat Pa Baan Taad near Udon Thani which was home to one of Thailand's most revered Abbots in the last 100 years refused to have anything to do with them. The Buddha also expressly wished that images weren't made of him as it was the teachings not how he looked that mattered.

Sad to say they are a lot of crooks in Thailand wearing the orange robes of monks.

Edited by beautifulthailand99

There are a lot of temples in Thailand that seem more interested in making money than spreading the message of the Buddha and amulets are a big part of that business. Go to Chacensao if you want to see a big business temple. I made a video of my trip. Wheras Wat Pa Baan Taad near Udon Thani which was home to one of Thailand's most revered Abbots in the last 100 years refused to have anything to do with them. The Buddha also expressly wished that images weren't made of him as it was the teachings not how he looked that mattered.

Sad to say they are a lot of crooks in Thailand wearing the orange robes of monks.

c

It saddens me to see the video... Makes me think that people seem to have lost the meaning of Buddhism. But these money making temples wouldn't exist if people wouldn't keep buying.

A friend told me "Don't buy an amulet. It will come to you if you're meant to have one". Proved she was right...

Edited by ika

Yes, I understand what you mean when you say they they need to have a hope.

When I stayed in Chiang Mai I went to Wat Tham Tong. I stayed there for 10 days. It is a temple much like the one you showed - Wat Pa Baan Tad. Very quiet, in the nature. It has its famous cave and Chiang Mai would like to make more publicity of the temple (such as website). But the boss monk (sorry don't know how you call him in English) said that he wants no publicity whatsoever. The ones who are suppose to end up there will anyway.

Yes, I understand what you mean when you say they they need to have a hope.

When I stayed in Chiang Mai I went to Wat Tham Tong. I stayed there for 10 days. It is a temple much like the one you showed - Wat Pa Baan Tad. Very quiet, in the nature. It has its famous cave and Chiang Mai would like to make more publicity of the temple (such as website). But the boss monk (sorry don't know how you call him in English) said that he wants no publicity whatsoever. The ones who are suppose to end up there will anyway.

I like that Abbott - I go to Amaravati Temple sometimes in the UK for retreat which is a very peaceful and spiritual place. After you leave they never email or pester you to sign up or donate or even advertise forthcoming events - I asked one of the organisers why not and she said we never do. As you say it is for you to find what you are looking for and that's what I like most about Buddhism the onus is on you to make the change and follow the path.I will put Wat Tham Thong on my list of places to see/stay.

• Like 2

Posts containing links to other forums have been removed as per this forum rule:

10) Not to post commercial spam or to post any promotional links, URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site. Not to post URL links to other forums . Not to flood, post commercial or for-profit advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and similar solicitations. Any member who violates this prohibition will be banned from all forums on this website.Advertisers are the only members allowed to post links, URL's or addresses to their sites.

Posts containing links to other forums have been removed as per this forum rule:

10) Not to post commercial spam or to post any promotional links, URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site. Not to post URL links to other forums . Not to flood, post commercial or for-profit advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and similar solicitations. Any member who violates this prohibition will be banned from all forums on this website.Advertisers are the only members allowed to post links, URL's or addresses to their sites.

Apologies for that - probably time I had a careful look at the rules but can't seem to locate them - could you please point me in the right direction.

Apologies for that - probably time I had a careful look at the rules but can't seem to locate them - could you please point me in the right direction.

You can click on the link Forum Rules at the bottom righthand corner of everypage, in any case, here's the link:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

In my Wat Umong Chiang Mai ( me baby monk 23 years ago) they made a Buddha Amulet. A group of monks (a German monk included), my spiritual master and my medical Teacher for TCM had the luck to have a

an old "holy" mold from a Lampang Wat. They mixed the ingredients (108 elements in the tradition), pali chanting to give power, then forming the ingredients to put in the mold, drying in the sun after.

Common meditation and pali chanting for the results.

No big business, these Buddha amulets never appeared on the market. The monks took their part of the "production" to distribute free to the lay people visiting them.

Edited by lungmi
  • Like 1

In my Wat Umong Chiang Mai ( me baby monk 23 years ago) they made a Buddha Amulet. A group of monks (a German monk included), my spiritual master and my medical Teacher for TCM had the luck to have a

an old "holy" mold from a Lampang Wat. They mixed the ingredients (108 elements in the tradition), pali chanting to give power, then forming the ingredients to put in the mold, drying in the sun after.

No big business, these Buddha amulets never appeared on the market. The monks took their part of the "production" to distribute free to the lay people visiting them.

Are you currently a monk in Wat U-Mong? (Since you say "my" Wat),

No

Are you currently a monk in Wat U-Mong? (Since you say "my" Wat),

No, but I visit my preceptor regularly. He provides the herbal medicine I use in my clinique.

Oh, so you are a doctor. Are there English speaking monks in Wat U-Mong? I was considering staying there instead of the Wat where I ended up staying for a week. The Wat I was in nobody speaks English, but I managed with the little Thai I speak. But I'd love to speak to a monk or a nun about Buddhism. I want to learn everything there is to learn about it!

c

It saddens me to see the video... Makes me think that people seem to have lost the meaning of Buddhism. But these money making temples wouldn't exist if people wouldn't keep buying.

A friend told me "Don't buy an amulet. It will come to you if you're meant to have one". Proved she was right...

I have 5 or 6 amulets I loved very much...

reading your answer I realised for the first time I have only bought one, the very first, all the other were offered to me by Thai people, so true they came to me smile.png

• Like 1