Thaksin’s Attempt to Mediate Peace in Myanmar Faces Challenges

webfact

image.jpeg

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's recent efforts to mediate peace talks in Myanmar have hit a roadblock, with experts suggesting that the initiative may be premature.

Thaksin reportedly met with representatives of Myanmar's dissident National Unity Government (NUG) and ethnic armed organizations (EAOs) in April but faced resistance in his attempt to mediate a truce between the EAOs and the country's ruling State Administration Council (SAC) junta.

According to Dulyapak Preecharush, an expert from Thammasat University, the SAC is unlikely to engage in peace talks with the EAOs, whom they consider as terrorists. The EAOs refused to sign any binding documents granting Thaksin a mandate to mediate, leading to doubts about the success of his efforts.

Thaksin's move has also created confusion in the Thai government, with Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin claiming to be unaware of the initiative. While the government expressed its desire for peace in Myanmar, it distanced itself from Thaksin's actions, stating that he was working in a personal capacity.

Thaksin, known for his engagement with Myanmar during his time in power, previously attempted peace talks through the "Bangkok Process" in 2003. However, his recent initiative faces skepticism due to the complex political landscape in Myanmar and the SAC's reticence towards dialogue with the EAOs.

The international community remains watchful of developments in Myanmar, with questions arising about Thailand's foreign policy towards its neighbor. Despite Thaksin's efforts, the government's policy remains in line with previous stances guided by the Foreign Ministry, National Security Council, and the Army.

As Thaksin's mediation efforts encounter obstacles, it is clear that achieving peace in Myanmar will require a more nuanced and inclusive approach involving various stakeholders and international partners.

File photo: Thaksin Shinawatra

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-13

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

He should be arrested for meddling in state issues.

The criminal should play with his grandchildren like he promised he will. But he lied, as usual. 

Yeah, he's the one and only liar in Thai politics. Amen 🙏

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

He should be arrested for meddling in state issues.

The criminal should play with his grandchildren like he promised he will. But he lied, as usual. 

So still with the Thaksin derangement syndrome I see.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, pegman said:

So still with the Thaksin derangement syndrome I see.

Do you see?

Please tell me what you see when you look at the last 12 months or so, Thaksin arriving in Thailand, Thaksin so ill that he needs a helicopter flight to a VIP hospital, Thaksin so ill that he can never go back to prison, and then being freed because he is so old and fragile that he needs his rest.

And then, was it days or a week later, Thaksin suddenly healthy again, meeting with politicians, walking in the streets all over Thailand, and and and.

What do you see? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaksin reportedly met with representatives of Myanmar's dissident National Unity Government (NUG) and ethnic armed organizations (EAOs) in April but faced resistance in his attempt to mediate a truce between the EAOs and the country's ruling State Administration Council (SAC) junta.

Where did he meet them?

Perhaps he stated to the generals:

Please guys, you have already raped the nation, and it's women, and amassed tens of billions of dollars from your pillaging. When is enough, enough? Does you evil know no limitations? Have you no decency?

And maybe it would be a good idea to mediate, before the youth and the resistance utterly destroy you and your families? Ever thought about that? You are going down in flames and the world will rejoice. 

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The elected government should make a decision what they want. And then they should assign someone to mediate, with the conditions in mind which were set. That's what professionals would do.

I thought that the Thai government wasn't the one that was elected?

It is a fudged up committee perhaps?

Professionals? I suppose that technically that is what they are. They are being paid after all.

19 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I would have thought that anyone who is trying to help to stop fighting would be a positive anywhere in the world.

Oh, I forgot about the Thaksin haters.

as useful as some fat cow ( 2 legged ) blocking the road to protest oil production

• Confused 1