Taxi Fares To Be Raised As Living Cost Rises

webfact

This maybe of interest.

Follow That Cab!
Balidiscovery.com Compares Taxi Fares for a 3-Kilometer Ride in Bali and Around the World

argometer-in.jpg

(8/19/2013)

Using a variety of sources, including www.mytravelcost.com and local websites, balidiscovery.com has pieced together a rough comparison of the cost of a 3-kilometer taxi ride in Bali and a number of other international destinations.

Rates stated are approximate and do not include surcharges for special routes, tolls, additional baggage or charges for higher-rated time of day for the taxi’s usage:
The estimated cost of a 3-kilometer taxi ride in:
Denpasar, Bali US$ 2.31 Sydney, Australia US$ 6.90 Singapore US$ 4.00 Hong Kong US$ 3.55 Beijing, PRC US$ 1.80 Bombay, India US$ 1.50 Amsterdam, The Netherlands US$12.95 London, England US$21.57 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia US$ 2.06 Tokyo, Japan US$ 11.00 New York City, USA US$ 7.50 Rome, Italy US$ 7.40 Bangkok, Thailand US$ 1.30 Paris, France US$ 6.57 Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam US$ 2.30 Seoul, South Korea US$ 2.78

© Bali Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Taxi to airport, signs everywhere in Jomptien/Pattaya 800 bht, 1 hour and 35 mins.

Swampy BKK airport to Pattaya 1,500 bht AND you have to get a 50 bht ticket from desk ( whose desk) ??????before you can get your taxi

Why there is not a queue system in line with hand rail, next in line next taxi.

TAT take note, Good areas in general I have found are BKK -- bht taxi Pattaya --if meter give the % rise they deserve it.

Bad areas Samui--Phuket TAT take note, act-we do not want cat bags, I think you can do something about this. Is your job Tourism. This topic is in your interest.

This maybe of interest.

Follow That Cab!
Balidiscovery.com Compares Taxi Fares for a 3-Kilometer Ride in Bali and Around the World

argometer-in.jpg

(8/19/2013)

Using a variety of sources, including www.mytravelcost.com and local websites, balidiscovery.com has pieced together a rough comparison of the cost of a 3-kilometer taxi ride in Bali and a number of other international destinations.

Rates stated are approximate and do not include surcharges for special routes, tolls, additional baggage or charges for higher-rated time of day for the taxi’s usage:
Denpasar, Bali US$ 2.31 Sydney, Australia US$ 6.90 Singapore US$ 4.00 Hong Kong US$ 3.55 Beijing, PRC US$ 1.80 Bombay, India US$ 1.50 Amsterdam, The Netherlands US$12.95 London, England US$21.57 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia US$ 2.06 Tokyo, Japan US$ 11.00 New York City, USA US$ 7.50 Rome, Italy US$ 7.40 Bangkok, Thailand US$ 1.30 Paris, France US$ 6.57 Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam US$ 2.30 Seoul, South Korea US$ 2.78

© Bali Discovery Tours. Articles may be quoted and reproduced if attributed to http://www.balidiscovery.com.

That's about right the ubiquitous British Black Cab being way out there at over sixteen times the fare in Bangkok!

Edited by wolf5370

Even so, it seems Thailand has the cheapest taxi rates of all Asian countries.

Even so it only appertains to taxi meter prices, mainly BKK BUT try Swampy airport- Samui-Phuket issues here. Bht taxi Pattaya-Jomptien 3 kilometers 10 bht. Flag him down don't speak get in the back bell him when you want to get off pay him 10 bht. Udon very similar. if I am not driving because of traffic congestion I use these, brilliant (apart from getting shaken around a bit )

This maybe of interest.

Follow That Cab!

argometer-in.jpg

(8/19/2013)

That's about right the ubiquitous British Black Cab being way out there at over sixteen times the fare in Bangkok!

Though to be fair diesel here is running at £1.41 a litre right now...then there's insurance, VED, accountant costs for the non cash sales whistling.gif , taxes (SE rate plus any NICs), oh and of course the cost of living!

No, I'm not a Black Cab driver, nor are any relations, biggrin.png

This maybe of interest.

Follow That Cab!

Posted Image

(8/19/2013)

Using a variety of sources, including www.mytravelcost.com  and local websites, balidiscovery.com has pieced together a rough comparison of the cost of a 3-kilometer taxi ride in Bali and a number of other international destinations. 

The estimated cost of a 3-kilometer taxi ride in:Denpasar, Bali   US$ 2.31 Sydney, Australia   US$ 6.90 Singapore US$ 4.00 Hong Kong US$ 3.55 Beijing, PRC         US$ 1.80 Bombay, India   US$ 1.50 Amsterdam, The Netherlands US$12.95 London, England       US$21.57 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia US$ 2.06 Tokyo, Japan     US$ 11.00 New York City, USA   US$  7.50 Rome, Italy       US$  7.40 Bangkok, Thailand US$  1.30 Paris, France   US$  6.57 Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam   US$  2.30 Seoul, South Korea US$  2.78

Though to be fair diesel here is running at £1.41 a litre right now...then there's insurance, VED, accountant costs for the non cash sales Posted Image , taxes (SE rate plus any NICs), oh and of course the cost of living!

No, I'm not a Black Cab driver, nor are any relations, Posted Image

Sorry, but most taxis run on lpg or cng.

As much as I have complained about everything in Thailand, even some taxi etiquette, it is about time they raise their fees. The rates have been the same since the 20-years I've known them. The gas and cost of living in Thailand has gone up significantly over the years and in all fairness, if their lives are made easier, maybe it would improve their service including picking and choosing fares.

Not going to affect anyone outside of Bangkok I guess - taxis in other areas never use meters anyway!

correction!

there is an excellent metered taxi service in Chiang Mai, always one operator who speaks English, always punctual and arrives a few minutes before a booked pick-up.

Not sure of their costs, but never had a problem, and they are always cheaper than a tuk-tuk!

As much as I have complained about everything in Thailand, even some taxi etiquette, it is about time they raise their fees. The rates have been the same since the 20-years I've known them. The gas and cost of living in Thailand has gone up significantly over the years and in all fairness, if their lives are made easier, maybe it would improve their service including picking and choosing fares.

except it wouldnt improve the service at all.

their daily rates would increase BEFORE the fare rate/s increased and there would/will be an influx of more vermin itching to get at the new 'windfall' of easy money.

More taxis, less money to go around and more blocked lanes where these turds sit outside every condo/hotel refusing to take any customer who knows that 'meter no good' is bullshit.

i would like to see some taxi sized rat traps for the worst of the worst and recognition for the better ones.

as it stands i'd rather not use a taxi for anything other than an emergency, the gamble of getting into a potential psycho/socoipaths car has taken its toll on me.

id be happy to see them all run out of gas and live the rest of their vulgar existences sleeping in petrol stations and pissing wherever they feel like.

SAME goes for the popo, the motorbike taxi gangs & the tour 'guides', they all need a good culling.

Not really sure what is going on, but the inflation rate under Yingluck has been staggering. As inflation always hurts poor people more than rich people, I am hoping that the bitter pill of inflation will not be forgotten by the poor people at the next election....

Not that I am a big fan of the PM, but let's get the facts straight. Inflation (consumer prices) in Thailand 2012 was 3.8%, amongst the lowest in SE-Asia. And better than the UK @ 4.5%! thumbsup.gif
Here's some other facts, the consumer price index "excludes food and fuel" which are some pretty important items to taxi drivers and anybody.

The inflation in "Vegetables & Fruits" which is a large part of what Thai's eat was 13.1% from Apr 12 to Apr 13. And the increase in "Electricity, Fuel, and Water Supply" was 14.0% from Apr 12 to Apr 13.

See attached from Bank of Thailand statistics area:

CPICapture.JPG

Virtually all taxis drive natural gas which is subsidised by PTT, so the price of that has not increased. PTT on the other hand is taking huge losses due to this subsidy as they are forced to buy the gas at market price, and sell it at a loss to the taxis and others. Edited by monkeycountry

Not going to affect anyone outside of Bangkok I guess - taxis in other areas never use meters anyway!

correction!

there is an excellent metered taxi service in Chiang Mai, always one operator who speaks English, always punctual and arrives a few minutes before a booked pick-up.

Not sure of their costs, but never had a problem, and they are always cheaper than a tuk-tuk!

I can honestly say I have never had a taxi in CM (where I live) use a meter - and all refusing to do so in my experience. The airport uses fixed prices (plus the usual 50b), Arcade taxis are fixed prices (or more if they think they can get away with it) - though cheaper than tuktuks and usually more than songtaews (heading away from town - always cheaper heading in). AT Airport Plaza they want 250 b just to Samoeng - less than 5km away on a main road in a straight line. If you have the number of a service that does enforce the use of meters I'd be happy to have the number.

correction!

I can honestly say I have never had a taxi in CM (where I live) use a meter - and all refusing to do so in my experience. The airport uses fixed prices (plus the usual 50b), Arcade taxis are fixed prices (or more if they think they can get away with it) - though cheaper than tuktuks and usually more than songtaews (heading away from town - always cheaper heading in). AT Airport Plaza they want 250 b just to Samoeng - less than 5km away on a main road in a straight line. If you have the number of a service that does enforce the use of meters I'd be happy to have the number.

It's the usual yellow and blue taxis you see around the city. I've used them many times to be taken to the airport, and it's a much better service than trying to get home from the airport.

Would be nice if one could get on a abht bus and not be told to get off cos he has some russians who will pay bigger money

This happened to my 12 yo stepson,coming home from school at 5pm

Now that's when taking a taxi does make sense - if you are going to pay higher fee anyway, why not go direct and use a taxi - madness!