Friday, Dry Day?

WinnieTheKhwai

Friday is Butcher Day, a major Buddhist holiday. (Perhaps THE most major)

What is to be expected around the watering holes.. Completely shut, open but no music and no alcohol (or in coffee mugs), or completely open?

I know it may vary from place to place, but this Wildebeest will be coming from a VERY dry savannah and be in serious need of rehydration. Will I find it, or will my dry bleached bones be sticking out of the sand come Saturday?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Pattaya is never completely dry but in the main it will be coffee mugs in the right places. Some of those only for regulars. I've known us drink beer on dry days and had non regulars turned away or limited to 2 beers.

• Like 1

Ok. Vesak, Wisakha Bucha, etc.

Might even visit a temple and take some pics if I can find one, to show off how Thai I think I am.

Go to the big Buddha Temple. Plenty of Buddha statues up there and also some great views of Pattaya Bay.

20 Baht gets you to be blessed by the monk, kneel down, he chants, splashes you with water and he attaches a string round your wrist.

For another 20 Baht you lay flowers, light your candle and incense sticks and place your small gold square on one of the Buddha statues.

Very Thai :)

Excellent! Could be a bit of a traffic jam going up though? I'll probably visit a temple in Bangkok very early morning. Then visit Patters with a bottle of Sang Som in my bag, just in case. wink.png

better to go on a m/c than a car.

Enjoy the day, whatever you do :)

same goes for 7/11 if you ask with a smile and they know your face

You couldn't be any wronger. 7-11's do NOT sell booze on Thai Holy days like this. Wake up mate.

same goes for 7/11 if you ask with a smile and they know your face

You couldn't be any wronger. 7-11's do NOT sell booze on Thai Holy days like this. Wake up mate.

Yep they do if they know you... they don't type the sale in the cash register but for sure I bought Changs/Hong Thong on dry days at 7/11 whistling.gif

What is happening at Jomtien Beach ? Some kind of festival with stands going all the way from soi 1 to 12 .

I wish someone could have warned me before I used the baht bus.....