Health Groups Plan Protest At Yingluck's House

webfact

Health groups plan protest at PM's house
Puangchompoo Prasert
The Nation

30206689-01_big.jpg

Rural doctors, kidney patients seeking dialysis want minister Pradit dumped

BANGKOK: -- The Rural Doctors Society and its allies will protest in front of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's residence from June 6 onward to press for the dismissal of Public Health Minister Pradit Sinthawanarong.

They have accused Pradit of many wrongdoings, including an attempt to undermine the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation (GPO). The protest plan was unveiled yesterday around the time the Cabinet approved the GPO board's decision to sack GPO managing director Witit Artavatkun.

Thai Kidney Club of Thailand chairman Saharat Sarapaiwanich said someone had secretly plotted to destroy the GPO and push for a co-payment system at the expense of patients.

"Such actions will put kidney patients in serious trouble," he said.

As part of the protest, Saharat said more than 50 kidney patients would undergo dialysis in front of Yingluck's house on June 6.

"If she ignores us, the number of patients in front of her house will increase," he said.

Rural Doctors Society chairman Kriengsak Watcharanukulkiat attacked Pradit for many controversial policies including the pay-for-performance system for medical workers and an alleged plot to privatise the GPO.

"He's unethical," Kriengsak said.

Pradit, who is now in Geneva, has yet to respond. Deputy Public Health Minister Cholnan Srikaew, however, urged all sides to embrace mutual discussions.

"Please talk, otherwise problems can't be solved," he said.

In regard to the plan to arrange dialysis in front of Yingluck's home, he asked protesters to think about patients' safety.

Cholnan dismissed a suggestion that Witit was kicked out because he tried to resist the transfer of Bt75 million from the GPO to the Public Health Ministry.

"I don't believe he was sacked on this ground. Otherwise, he would be able to easily fight against the GPO board's decision to sack him," the deputy public health minister said.

Witit said yesterday he had not yet planned to lodge a complaint against his dismissal, because he had yet to see an investigation report about his "wrongdoing".

The GPO board says it sacked Witit over alleged irregularities in the procurement of raw material to produce paracetamol.

Witit said he would be looking for a new job and would never return to the government sector.

Cholnan, however, insisted the termination of Witit's employment contract was in line with proper procedures. "I hardly needed to explain anything when his proposed dismissal was put before the Cabinet," the deputy minister said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-22

I wonder if a concerned red-shirt group will post along PM Yingluck's mansion to prevent 'hooligans' and other odd folks to disrupt the peace and quiet of the PM's neighbourhood.

Mind you, I wouldn't have a problem with an extra platoon of Police though, that's just part of their job.

Cholnan, however, insisted the termination of Witit's employment
contract was in line with proper procedures. "I hardly needed to explain
anything when his proposed dismissal was put before the Cabinet," the
deputy minister said.

Rather revealing that his dismissal wasn't based on any facts. Yet another independent body bites the dust.