Tax Is Mor Than Airfare -- Bkk To Vientiane

mineonunder

I looked into this and am catching the bus up instead. I really like meeting the locals on the bus, I love the Thai countryside. I dislike waiting in airports and the Air Con on-board the plane does funny things to my skin which takes a week to recover from (no, I am not gay, just particular).

The bus ride is very easy to navigate, as us Farang are always there on the buses so don't think you might get stranded somewhere with nobody to help you. Just make sure you book a first class bus unless you really love the "normal" Thai experience. I try to avoid it if I can as those non-First Class buses tend to take a lot longer to get to Vientiane (the holdup being the Bangkok-Udon Thani leg).

You will need to get a single bus from Bangkok to Udon Thani, changing buses at Udon Thani to take you to Vientiane. I have contacts in Udon if you need help they can get times etc for you. A friend also owns a backpackers there if you need somewhere clean to rest your head for 150 baht or so a night (I may be slightly off on pricing but not far off).

I looked into this and am catching the bus up instead. I really like meeting the locals on the bus, I love the Thai countryside. I dislike waiting in airports and the Air Con on-board the plane does funny things to my skin which takes a week to recover from (no, I am not gay, just particular).

The bus ride is very easy to navigate, as us Farang are always there on the buses so don't think you might get stranded somewhere with nobody to help you. Just make sure you book a first class bus unless you really love the "normal" Thai experience. I try to avoid it if I can as those non-First Class buses tend to take a lot longer to get to Vientiane (the holdup being the Bangkok-Udon Thani leg).

You will need to get a single bus from Bangkok to Udon Thani, changing buses at Udon Thani to take you to Vientiane. I have contacts in Udon if you need help they can get times etc for you. A friend also owns a backpackers there if you need somewhere clean to rest your head for 150 baht or so a night (I may be slightly off on pricing but not far off).

12 hours plus on a bus with a driver that doesn't sleep,no thanks!w00t.gif

At least get the train,you can go right through to Nong Khai plus eat,drink and sleep on there!

I thought bus journeys in Thailand were fun once,you eventually wise up and realise they are nothing but a risk to personal health and well being.

Nothing odd about this at all. Air Asia and Nokair also fly to Udon from Bkk a lot cheaper than international flights and you avoid paying cross border taxes.

Edited by lovelaos

I flew Lao Central VTE BKK in march and it was 695,000 kip bought at their booth at VTE airport, direct to Swampy, added it up and don't think you can get to Swampy and cheaper by air, plus you save about 4 hrs of travel time, I looked for a Lao Central booth at BKK and couldn't find one, but someone told me you can buy at the check in counter there