A Thailand Customs Question?

Im not sure if this is the correct spot for me to put this question so sorry if it isnt.

I am an American Citizen and I will be
visiting Thailand from August to December. I was a Rotary Youth Exchange
Student from 2009-2010. I speak Thai as well. This will be the first
time that I will be visiting the country as a tourist. I will be staying
in Chonburi with one of my Host families from my exchange. My question
is what are the policies about bringing a Hookah pipe (Arabic Water pipe
used for smoking flavored tobacco) and shisha (Flavored tobacco used in
a hookah) to thailand. I am an avid hookah smoker here in the united
states. I actually started in Thailand. I have been planning on bringing
1 hookah pipe with accessories and about 5 kilo grams of Shisha
tobacco. I know that there is probably a tax on the shisha because it is
a tobacco. Do you know how much the tax is? Also would a Clean hookah
and Shisha tobacco be confiscated by customs? It has a total value of
approximately 300$ usd. I would really like to bring this to thailand to
enjoy while im living in Chonburi since it is a Daily activity and
hobby of mine. I wanted to bring my own because getting these materials
shipped to thailand would cost the price of the items plus about 200$ in
shipping which is alot. I also havent found any good sources for
hookahs in Thailand.

Thank for the help!

A warning first. The customs department here is extremely corrupt. Any answers here should be taken with that in mind. What happens to one traveler may, or may not, happen to another.

The legal limit of tobacco is 250 grams. Anything more and you risk a HUGE fine. Determined on the spot by the officials. With no recourse.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/travellers/allowance+and+relief/allowancerelief

As for the pipe, I can't find anything saying it is illegal. Hopefully others will help out here. I did find this article for New Zealand. Seems it's illegal:

http://www.customs.govt.nz/news/resources/factsheets/Documents/Fact%20Sheet%2028.pdf

As for a young person doing this, I'd do some research on the health risks:

A typical, one-hour-long hookah session involves the inhalation of the equivalent of 100 or more cigarettes. The water in the bowl of the pipe does not filter out the addictive nicotine or any of the other toxins in tobacco

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hookah/AN01265

Seems you'd be better off just smoking cigarettes. And we all know how dangerous that is. They've got campaigns here trying to warn young people regarding the dangers of these pipes.

I have seen them using the pipe openly outside a bar, a 100 meters from a police station.

You better check if you can get the tobacco in Thailand itself, per above post the tobacco is above the duty free limit so you must declare it and pay duty on it.

Im sure you can buy your kit in Pattaya.

You are only allowed so much tobacco anyway. Im sure when they see that stupid thing in your bag, you will be subject to search.

Thanks for coming to Thailand and smoking, especially you working with kids and all

+3

• Like 2

I have seen them using the pipe openly outside a bar, a 100 meters from a police station.

You better check if you can get the tobacco in Thailand itself, per above post the tobacco is above the duty free limit so you must declare it and pay duty on it.

These pipes are all over the place now. Especially with the increase we've seen in Arab tourists and the popularity now of them among younger people....unfortunately.

My concern would be a sneaky customs agent saying they tested it and found marijuana residue. I've never heard of this happening, but we know they employ some dodgy tactics.

• Like 1

These pipes are all over the place now. Especially with the increase we've seen in Arab tourists and the popularity now of them among younger people....unfortunately.

My concern would be a sneaky customs agent saying they tested it and found marijuana residue. I've never heard of this happening, but we know they employ some dodgy tactics.

I never thought about that. That would be pretty crappy.

A warning first. The customs department here is extremely corrupt. Any answers here should be taken with that in mind. What happens to one traveler may, or may not, happen to another.

The legal limit of tobacco is 250 grams. Anything more and you risk a HUGE fine. Determined on the spot by the officials. With no recourse.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/travellers/allowance+and+relief/allowancerelief

As for the pipe, I can't find anything saying it is illegal. Hopefully others will help out here. I did find this article for New Zealand. Seems it's illegal:

http://www.customs.govt.nz/news/resources/factsheets/Documents/Fact%20Sheet%2028.pdf

As for a young person doing this, I'd do some research on the health risks:

A typical, one-hour-long hookah session involves the inhalation of the equivalent of 100 or more cigarettes. The water in the bowl of the pipe does not filter out the addictive nicotine or any of the other toxins in tobacco

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hookah/AN01265

Seems you'd be better off just smoking cigarettes. And we all know how dangerous that is. They've got campaigns here trying to warn young people regarding the dangers of these pipes.

The part that mayo clinic didnt include is that Shisha, atleast the big brand name shishas in america dont contain any of the chemicals and tar that perhaps traditional egyptian tobacco has.

A post has been removed from view and a member warned to abide by forum rules. Specifically these:

1) To respect fellow members.

3) Not to post in a manner that is vulgar, obscene or profane.

4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.