Is 'grassing' A Social Stigma Amongst Thais?

jaffacakes1

Reading yet another case of a drug bust in Phuket. What I have found interesting about these busts is the speed with which the Thai dealers give each other up. Firstly the users were busted and gave up theirThai supplier - in the same evening a sting operation nabbed him and he, in turn immediately gave up his source in yet another sting.

I wondered if the notion of the code of honour amongst thieves just doesn't exist within the Thai criminal classes as it does so strongly in most Western countries, or if the 'interrogation techniques' used are simply more effective in this part of the world?

It might go some way to explaining how whenever you rent a house from someone Thai,all your neighbours suddenly turn into Mossad Agents reporting to The Bureau Chief who also happens to be your landlady and the house owner!blink.png

"I wondered if the notion of the code of honour amongst thieves just doesn't exist within the Thai criminal classes as it does so strongly in most Western countries, or if the 'interrogation techniques' used are simply more effective in this part of the world?"

I think you'll find that it is just a 'notion' in the west rolleyes.gif

I think it might also have to do with the fact that Thai prisons are probably a thousand times worse than Western ones.

If they can get a reduced sentence or even avoid going there all together by squealing,then I would imagine that the choice is easy.

Not condoning it.....but can understand why.

You see how the good Thai people are reliable, faithful and not coward at all ? So imagine the gangsters...

Did you watch police reports in the west ? All these "big guys" are just whining little girls ready to lick any cops axx to reduce their sentence. I have no esteem for what is called gangster nowadays, anywhere in the world.

Edited by bangkokstick

Be careful who you turn in.

My ex wife has new neighbors selling stolen motorbikes and drugs.

I suggested she turn them in to the police but she warned me the police supply the drugs.

• Like 1

No honor among thieves anymore, that's the problem!

No Respeckt!

Not like the good ole days when Ronnie and Reggie would smash your knee caps then ask after ya mother.

Then put £5 in yer pocket for a taxi to the hospital!

Big difference nowadays. Ronnie and Reggie looked after their community interests and woe betide any local scumbag or idiot who was daft enough to commit any type of 'crime' on their Manor. Old Granny Smith would pop in for a chat with the boys and ask them to sort out next door's barking Dog or the teenager that spat on her front lawn and they would oblidge. She would be given Tea and Scones and a fiver in her pocket before she left too. No more barking Dog's and no more spitting by the next day. How can you get that kind of service today?

• 4 weeks later...

They get paid for grassing - simple!

paid by whom ?

Police.

There is no investigation work here ( or very little ), all ( or the majority ) of info comes from grasses.

It was advertised a while back that there was 10K for anyone who helped turn in drug dealers.

• Like 1

paid by whom ?

Police.

There is no investigation work here ( or very little ), all ( or the majority ) of info comes from grasses.

It was advertised a while back that there was 10K for anyone who helped turn in drug dealers.

he's talking of drugs offenders already caught red handed by police

surely the cops are not gonna offer money to criminals

paid by whom ?
Police.

he's talking of drugs offenders already caught red handed by police

surely the cops are not gonna offer money to criminals

Laughable.... They may not offer hard cash, although it wouldn't surprise me, but they do leverage information out of people with offers of leniency, and much of their information will come from street level snitches who supply information on competing rackets to police protected dealers in return for drugs or money....

All bar very few stories in the thai news about drug busts start "acting on a tip off".

No trick to low, no method too devious. There is no length to which the Thai police will not go to make sure his weekly $$$ quota is met..... A Thai policeman told me that.

They are the biggest crims of the lot. Thailand's most shameful elephant in the room.

• Like 1

But everybody knows and accepts it. That is the sad thing. The good thing is that police in thailand bother about things, small crimes, where in the west you have to make an appointment to file a report. Once we had a brake in with some items stolen. Police came with 5 people in a pick up to the house. 4 months later they caught the thief and came back to the house to re enact the break in with the arrested suspect. Thought it was funny, they told us that the guy entered the house with a gun. Fun changed in luck within a second !

Laughable.... They may not offer hard cash, although it wouldn't surprise me, but they do leverage information out of people with offers of leniency, and much of their information will come from street level snitches who supply information on competing rackets to police protected dealers in return for drugs or money....

All bar very few stories in the thai news about drug busts start "acting on a tip off".

No trick to low, no method too devious. There is no length to which the Thai police will not go to make sure his weekly $$$ quota is met..... A Thai policeman told me that.

They are the biggest crims of the lot. Thailand's most shameful elephant in the room.

scary !

But everybody knows and accepts it. That is the sad thing. The good thing is that police in thailand bother about things, small crimes, where in the west you have to make an appointment to file a report. Once we had a brake in with some items stolen. Police came with 5 people in a pick up to the house. 4 months later they caught the thief and came back to the house to re enact the break in with the arrested suspect. Thought it was funny, they told us that the guy entered the house with a gun. Fun changed in luck within a second !

The police will "bother about things" ONLY if there is something in it for them.

• Like 1