Who's Who At The Oz Embassy

You have provided some great information and insight Chris.

I did phone Immigration in Oz about a month ago when we were thinking of applying for a tourist visa whilst waiting for the SV to be processed. The young guy who answered my call told me that allowing travel whilst the visa is being processed was purely up to the discretion of the case officer. He also told me that Thailand is a "high risk" country and that an SV will normally take a minimum of 6 months to process. I disputed this and told him that we belong to certain web forums and are in contact with a large community involved with gaining SV's and the process has been taking between 2 and 4 months as the norm. He seemed quite surprised.

Getting consistent infromation has been almost impossible and my wife and I find oursleves making up many reasons and scenarios why our visa application is now at the three and a half month mark.

I have been employed by the same company for 12 years on a salary twice the national average. I own my own house and am more than capable of supporting my new wife and her son. My wife has been employed by the Thai Education Department for the past 10 years and has travelled abroad to Europe and Australia for her vocation. We met in May 2004. Since then she has visited me three times in Perth and I have visited her four times. The evidence we have provided about our relationship certainly does spell out the obvious, THIS IS THE REAL THING!

My wife was very thorough with the application preparation and provided all required documents, medical, police clearance, etc, up front, all translated using a certified translator even though she was quite capable of doing them herself. We applied on December 12. At the interview, the CO hardly spoke to me at all. I waited outside for about an hour whilst she interviewed my wife.

All we can say to each other now is "can't they see we are genuine, why is it taking so long?"

I will be taking your advise and writing/calling to try and get more information as I am perplexed as to why it should take so long.

Many thanks

Paul

Paul I went through similar to you except my wife now,fiancee then had been to Australia once already on a fiancee visa so had a blotch on her visa,I was lucky enough to know a guy whom works for a federal politician who had also worked in immigration before so knew which buttons to push for us,but then I had a friend who waited ages also and he also went to a Federal Politician and got excellent results.Some times all needs is a push and if they know some one is looking at a case where the application should of been dealt with many moons ago they seem to move their asses very quick.

Two interesting experiences applyin for visas in OZ embassy BKK.

1. Not married. Wanted to take my teruk to Sydnet as a visitor:

At the counter I supplied all of the documentation. The little (Australian) pric* behind the counter asked me: : she is a hairdresser from Surin? we have an alert on girls who put this on their application form" ...Grrr. "Oh, said I. but you have her hairdressing school radutaion certificate, see, here it is".

He: "please wait"

Thumbs twiddling'

Called to hte counter again.

"let me see your passposrt " I gave him my passport. Examined it..."you know this could be a forgery"

Fuming but in control...."well it's not, if you want verifiation please contact Mr. xxx.yyy in UN ESCAP BKK and Mr. ZZZ KKK who is deputy director of Customs in New Zealan. Here is a photo of us at a dinner with this fellow."

"please take a seat."

GRRR Little pric*.

Called to the counter again....

" Well, I am inclined not give this visa"

Me: OK, what appeal mechanism is there available to me?

"I am inclined not to give the visa but on tis occasion I will."

I fell on my knees, and thanked him for his compassion and excellent service...NOT.

2. Applying foe a spouse visa: the interview. (note here that my spouse id 20 years younger than me)

A very nice woman took us into a small room (BKK ). We were well armed with photos, receipts, letter with postmarked envelopes.

She asked some personal questions like:

"Did you meet her parents prior to marryig her?"

"how did you meet?"

Well, short story, we got the spouse visa and happily settled in Sydney for the last 7 years...

• 1 month later...
Two interesting experiences applyin for visas in OZ embassy BKK.

1. Not married. Wanted to take my teruk to Sydnet as a visitor:

At the counter I supplied all of the documentation. The little (Australian) pric* behind the counter asked me: : she is a hairdresser from Surin? we have an alert on girls who put this on their application form" ...Grrr. "Oh, said I. but you have her hairdressing school radutaion certificate, see, here it is".

He: "please wait"

Thumbs twiddling'

Called to hte counter again.

"let me see your passposrt " I gave him my passport. Examined it..."you know this could be a forgery"

Fuming but in control...."well it's not, if you want verifiation please contact Mr. xxx.yyy in UN ESCAP BKK and Mr. ZZZ KKK who is deputy director of Customs in New Zealan. Here is a photo of us at a dinner with this fellow."

"please take a seat."

GRRR Little pric*.

Called to the counter again....

" Well, I am inclined not give this visa"

Me: OK, what appeal mechanism is there available to me?

"I am inclined not to give the visa but on tis occasion I will."

I fell on my knees, and thanked him for his compassion and excellent service...NOT.

2. Applying foe a spouse visa: the interview. (note here that my spouse id 20 years younger than me)

A very nice woman took us into a small room (BKK ). We were well armed with photos, receipts, letter with postmarked envelopes.

She asked some personal questions like:

"Did you meet her parents prior to marryig her?"

"how did you meet?"

Well, short story, we got the spouse visa and happily settled in Sydney for the last 7 years...

Nice to hear. Congratulations. :o

Im new to the site and the spouse visa thing but if you did the police thing all the medical stuff how long does it take, my wife has to go to the embassy next week and it the first time what is that about

If you look in the main forum you will find this info....but anywhere between 6 weeks and 3 months, sometimes extra info is sought by the embassy so it can take longer

I am sorry to offend anyone here but the case officers I dealt with were like a bad Nurse Ratchet from One Flew over the Cookoo's Nest. Both I was told had 11 years and 23 years experience. Their gratest downfall was lack of communiction. I won't go into the 1st one's behaviour but I lodged 7 complaints against her and the way she dealt with the application. After 1 month I am still waiting to here back from the new PMO.

I think you just ran into a typical Oz woman mate.

Now you know why we're all over in Thailand getting gf's and wives.

I am sorry to offend anyone here but the case officers I dealt with were like a bad Nurse Ratchet from One Flew over the Cookoo's Nest. Both I was told had 11 years and 23 years experience. Their gratest downfall was lack of communiction. I won't go into the 1st one's behaviour but I lodged 7 complaints against her and the way she dealt with the application. After 1 month I am still waiting to here back from the new PMO.

No mate, this was your more educated Bangkok type Thai woman working for DIMA. Then again if you had read the thread you would have realised this? :o

In my experience with Oz embassy and dima in BKK, never once talked to an Oz behind the counter, all hi so Thai shielas.

Gemma Jackson is an imaginary person, she sends anonymous emails but never responds.

she changes her voicemail message but never responds to messages.

I know you read this gemma so how about a response from you.

In my experience with Oz embassy and dima in BKK, never once talked to an Oz behind the counter, all hi so Thai shielas.

Gemma Jackson is an imaginary person, she sends anonymous emails but never responds.

she changes her voicemail message but never responds to messages.

I know you read this gemma so how about a response from you.

it wasnt an Oz woman I ran into it was a hi so Thai woman on many occasions,Khun W####e

Are you talking about the hi-so woman at the consular (passports) section. Curley hair, older woman? Well, she is gone now....though she was always really nice to me (I have very very good suck up Thai language skills). Having said that, I know she was a cow to most others.

Younger lady there now.....efficient is the best word for her. She tried to catch us out on my daughters passport application (my wifes maiden name on bubs birth certificate...married name on the application form), neccessitating a return trip to the embassy, but I was too well prepared. She almost looked shocked that she couldn't KB us there and then...

There are two sections that I dealt with, the DIMA staff level and the general enquiries where I did apply for our new born passport. The DIMA staff would not respond well to questions out of the ordinary, in fact I found it very hard to get a response from them once they took the money. These people wanted to remain under a vail of secrecey.

On the other hand the people at the other counter were completly the opposite. I did not fill in some detail on the form, they were very helpful as they even called the manager in to help. They appeared human!

Look some of the people that will post here have had a run of bad luck with the staff, but you really do need to do the application well. The DIMA front counter staff will not help; except in exceptional cases. Don't know why. The staff back in Aus are not like this. This was my experience.

If all else fails, you can revert to writting to the poly's. They seem to push things along if things are at a stalemate.

That young woman is sure efficient

I was there last month applying for a passport for my son

She picked me up on two things

In the Passport photo of my 2 week old you could see the tip of my wifes little finger in the photo

I tried some sucking up in my own stye she said she had to go and see if it was ok came back, all is well Whew!

Then she noticed on the witness section it had been white outed and signed over the top

I got quite a lecture about it and I thought i was going to be turned around then and there and was looking at another 800 klm round trip

Tried the charm thing again ,she dissapeared for a while and when she returned accepted it

As i found out after calling the wife when i left the Embassy she had called my wife to ask if she had signed the form and also rang the witness (a high ranking Police MIB) to check if he signed it .

Efficient Very! Fair Absolutley .

• 2 weeks later...

I think most people are the same as myself we go in blind with any visa application.

And we can only ask questions and in melbourne and in bkk i dont believe helping is part of there general practice,I think they Intentionally are instucted to make it hard.

It's sites like this that you get the answers to the questions not the people at imagration or a embassy.

I was in bkk to do a visa application and they would not let me in the gate.

So my exsperiance when your in another country and your a australian citizen is your on your own.

Graham, is this a "flaming" comment. I just re read the forum rules and I can't see where it said the reply was not appropriate.

I had forgotten that this started as a general post but was pinned after some good info was given, so my apologies for that...

I think a "Whos who at the Embassy" is a great idea....keeping up to date contacts at Immigration and the Embassy who can assist with application enquiries when the need arises for it, without having to trawl through piles of posts to find them.

Perhaps a current list could be compiled and a new pinned thread started...

If you want to do that Burnsy, I can close and pin it, people can PM me with new additions.

it wasnt an Oz woman I ran into it was a hi so Thai woman on many occasions,Khun W####e

Are you talking about the hi-so woman at the consular (passports) section. Curley hair, older woman? Well, she is gone now....though she was always really nice to me (I have very very good suck up Thai language skills). Having said that, I know she was a cow to most others.

Younger lady there now.....efficient is the best word for her. She tried to catch us out on my daughters passport application (my wifes maiden name on bubs birth certificate...married name on the application form), neccessitating a return trip to the embassy, but I was too well prepared. She almost looked shocked that she couldn't KB us there and then...

We may have had something to do with her demise, she had to lose a lot of face when dealing with our application. She mad some pretty bold statements concerning the polly who helped us and she happened to be the Parliamentry Under-Secretary to the Foreign affairs committee at the time.

We had our visa approved in 3 days 55555555

• 11 months later...
Vacancy at Australian Embassy, Bangkok: Regional Client Services Manager, Visa and Immigration Section. Anyone interested?
Early this year the Aust Embassy advertised for a new position abt 60000 baht pcm to be a medium for applicants of visa' between front counter staff and the aussie staff (among other duties of course). Part of the job discription indicated that people that wanting to find out information about their application could contact this person? Has anyone got an update as to this person or if they were appointed? :o

Does anyone know if this position was filled. I would imagine that they could help with some questions that some people may have. I don't see their position in helping with jumping ahead of other applicants just to settle the nerves.

• 1 month later...
Vacancy at Australian Embassy, Bangkok: Regional Client Services Manager, Visa and Immigration Section. Anyone interested?
Early this year the Aust Embassy advertised for a new position abt 60000 baht pcm to be a medium for applicants of visa' between front counter staff and the aussie staff (among other duties of course). Part of the job discription indicated that people that wanting to find out information about their application could contact this person? Has anyone got an update as to this person or if they were appointed? :o

Does anyone know if this position was filled. I would imagine that they could help with some questions that some people may have. I don't see their position in helping with jumping ahead of other applicants just to settle the nerves.

these positions tend to get filled quite quickly. Always an Australian/NZ/UK/Canadian spouse about who needs something to keep themselves occupied. Usually go to Aussies first, esp if they've got public service experience and the required security clearances.

Nevertheless, you do help your chances if you provide good and specific responses to the selection criteria.

• 5 months later...

This is an old thread but I have something to add......a guy I know applied for Spouse Visa and got it in a matter of days !!! How? Well he was well prepared with all the docs and photo albums etc......But possibly the main point was that he knew some guy who worked at the embassy.....I am sure this guy pushed the application through.......ok the applicant and his wife were known in the Australian expat community but it did seem quite fast and in relation to many other stories one hears about the process.....a little surprising.....as no questions were raised at all.

Bronco...what was the story with the maiden name difference on your docs ?

• 9 months later...

I agree with MM that when you go for a SV you are well awear of the waiting period. If you do all your home work and lodge a solid application then you are looking at approximately 3 months. If you get you visa in around three months then you've had good service imho, no point jumping up and and down and sending nasty letters.

Having said that I do question why the process in Thailand takes an average of 3-4 months. My cousin applied for a SV for his fiance who is American back in Janurary. They put their application in (in America) on the 4th Jan, she had an interview over the phone on the 17th Jan, and recieved the go ahead on the 24th Jan. A total of 20 days from start to finish. They are both 24 years old, have been together for about a year, and had never lived together for more than 3 months. I appriciate that she's American and the rest.....but 3 weeks vs 3-4 months certainly deserves some questions!

• 1 month later...
I think a "Whos who at the Embassy" is a great idea....keeping up to date contacts at Immigration and the Embassy who can assist with application enquiries when the need arises for it, without having to trawl through piles of posts to find them.

If you want to do that Burnsy, I can close and pin it, people can PM me with new additions.

I realise some of these posts are years old - so..

After a few calls to the Australian Embassy I asked our case officer who she knew of at the Embassy from the names below:

1. Rob Chambers is no longer at the Embassy.

2. She does not know of Australian officials with the names

Ross Greenwood and Damien Kilner - but that doesn't mean they are no longer stationed there.

My approach to all staff during our application process for a " prospective Spouse" visa is to tread softly,

even if you are not treated with the respect you deserve.

It is better to be 'polite but firm', and deal with each situation as it arises, and keep watching this forum for some good - and timely- advice.

• 2 months later...

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your posting.

My wife and i are just about to start the spousal visa process. We will be lodging our visa application at the THai CC building in Bangkok. We have been together for approximatley two years and we were recently married in Australia while my wife was here on a 90 day tourist visa. My wife has been granted three 90 day tourist visa's to Oz and we have abided by the immigration laws on all occasions.

We have got all the forms and checklists, proof of on going relationship, photo's, phone records etc, My questions are,

Have you got ant tips that may help this process go as smoothly as possible?

Would it be helpfull to the cause if i could get a letter from someone that was willing to employ her when she arrives in Australia?

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your posting.

My wife and i are just about to start the spousal visa process. We will be lodging our visa application at the THai CC building in Bangkok. We have been together for approximatley two years and we were recently married in Australia while my wife was here on a 90 day tourist visa. My wife has been granted three 90 day tourist visa's to Oz and we have abided by the immigration laws on all occasions.

We have got all the forms and checklists, proof of on going relationship, photo's, phone records etc, My questions are,

Have you got ant tips that may help this process go as smoothly as possible?

Would it be helpfull to the cause if i could get a letter from someone that was willing to employ her when she arrives in Australia?

You would get a better response if you posted this in the normal topics and not in a Pinned topic.

Having a job is not a prerequisite to getting the visa, therefore it wouldnt make any difference to the application.

If your wife has spent a lot of time in Oz (more time in than out) in the last twelve months than an AFP clearance maybe required.

Both of your letters detailing your history together should be totally honest, as should the whole application, it is likely that a lot of the interview questions will come from these. If they get the smallest hint that you are being dishonest then it may affect the decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dean

Being married in Australia is a good start.

Just put a good application in, and yes cover everything. Put as much detail in about the relationship, telephone calls/bills (a lot of people do phone cards so sometimes this is impossible), emails, letters from friends relatives (if they are Thai get them translated into English, I had mt brother-in-law do this and verify them to be true and correct-he was a Thai government official), letter from local member, any friends in the police force? there good references. Dot the i's and cross your legs.....just be patient.

Where is your wife from? I spent sometime in the waiting rooms in Bangkok and the women doing this process on their own appeared to wait the longest for the visa's; this was just my observation when talking in the waiting area.

If you going in for an interview, wear a suit and get your wife to wear similar clothing. Very fashion conscious and I believe appearance counts a lot. No jeans or shorts.

It would be helpful to have a letter of employment opportunity; what they want to see is that you can support your wife for the next two years. Get a letter from your employer. Very important. A good amount of cash in the bank is also good evidence. If you are unable to prove financial support they may want you to enter into an assurance that you will cover any Centrelink payments that may be made to her in the 2 year period. But don't worry about this until they ask for it. They will do this by a formal letter if needed.

No one appears to have kept the names up on this site as some people get paranoid that by leaving names out in the open you may have an unfair advantage in que jumping.

This is one of the most worrying times you may spend for the next...how ever long it takes at the moment. I can understand early stages of frustration and anguish this may bring up.

As long as you have your documents prepared you should go thru OK.

I have been told of some women, having worked illegal in Australia, overstayed their visa's by 1-2 years; going back and returning to Australia with new husband after only 8 months. The only real worries I think are when there are blatant lies and misleading information in the application and then there will be problems.

The people you deal with in the Embassy are middle class university educated women; my opinion was they were a bit snobbish, but then again some of the other members feel that they developed great friendships with their case managers?

Keep your head up and be patient.

Take care

Chris :):D

• 3 months later...

How are people going at the Embassy Immigration office now?

The reason I set this post up was to be a running commentary to list names of people in the embassy that have been helpful.

One thing with the offshore people (OZ employee's) was it was very hard to get to them when an issue or problem came up, against a non-compliant officer in the embassy. Not everyone will have these problems but some will. This was the intent, to find a person in Bangkok that you could speak to.

It was never set up as a queue jumpers guide to who's who in the embassy. (Some paranoid people may get the wrong impression). Then again the landscape in the Immigration at Bangkok may have changed and everyone is happy?

I suppose it would be good to hear how people have got thru the experience, if only to encourage people in the process.

I went thru the process in 2004/05, and am now in OZ. My wife has had a permanent visa for over a year; we have been back to Thailand together once and my wife and 3 yr have been back again on their own.

There is no shortcut in the process (except for Bronco getting a visa in 3 days); it is at times a very trying time for some. But we don't have to suffer if we no the right people to use.

Any way just thought I would have a stab at promoting this if there was need.

Chris :)

• 3 months later...

There is no shortcut in the process (except for Bronco getting a visa in 3 days); it is at times a very trying time for some. But we don't have to suffer if we no the right people to use.

Any way just thought I would have a stab at promoting this if there was need.

Chris :)

I havent been on here for some time now but thought i would re post what I have previously posted

Back in 2006 my wife applied for a spouse visa she had the interview at the embassy and lodged the docs at the same time .Result

Granted within 24 hours We were prepared for a 3 month wait

Who did I know at the Embassy ? No one. just gained valuble information from this site did my homework and submitted a strong and truthfull application.

How can they be approved in 24 hours when all health docs are sent to Australia to be veiwed by the medical board? I am of the belief the medical board are the ones who really control your destiny.

The Medical docs were done prior to the interview

All docs were supplied on the day

Homework!Homework Homework !

How can they be approved in 24 hours when all health docs are sent to Australia to be veiwed by the medical board? I am of the belief the medical board are the ones who really control your destiny.

The Medical docs were done prior to the interview

All docs were supplied on the day

Homework!Homework Homework !

Just checked with the missus

She went to the Korat Govt appoved Hospital In October for the tests and had the interview in Bangkok in January

• 2 weeks later...

The fast track method isnt always as fast as it seems...

You ring for the appointment and will get an interview date for something like 2-3 weeks later......you will need to provide the medical and police docs at the interview so this must be done first. The medical docs are sent to the Embassy so allow 2 weeks at least for that.

The clock starts when the Embassy receives the first docs....in the case mentioned the medical was done in October so thats when the clock starts for the entry date into Oz, Obviously the three months was more than enough time for the medical to be checked in Oz. The process time for this application is around 3 months

Obviously if the application is complete and comprehensive then it will process quicker, but if further docs are needed or there are some issues that need to be addressed then it will take longer to process.

People will say 24 hours, but that is not quite correct....the application starts from receipt of the first docs for the embassy......it starts for the applicant when they get the medical, police checks or ring for the interview. Usually well before the interview stage.

Edited by gburns57au