92-kilometre Motorway

egeefay

I keep reading that there are plans underway for a motorway that's suppose to cut driving time between Hua Hin and Bangkok by an hour. It was suppose to cross the water and construction was suppose to start in 2006

Does anyone know if anything is happening?

I keep reading that there are plans underway for a motorway that's suppose to cut driving time between Hua Hin and Bangkok by an hour. It was suppose to cross the water and construction was suppose to start in 2006

Does anyone know if anything is happening?

:o This was a nice sounding idea but like many of Mr T's pipedreams, it would have strained the budget of a superpower! The government rightly told him there was no way the kingdom could afford a plan like that, so the cross-sewa road (which was due to hit land near Cha Am) has been shelved -- probably forever.

The main hope for getting HH closer to Bangkok is to update the railway, but that wouldn't get him enough headlines, so for the time being, I suppose things will stay as they are -- though they are widening the road around north Petchburi, which is better than nothing. :D

Are there plans to build a bypass around Hua Hin? Then, south of Hua Hin, the road from Bangkok, which is often four lanes and divided, becomes a very hectic two-laner toward Pranburi and the capital city Prachuap Khirikan (sp?). By contrast, Mr. Thaksin's north country is well serviced by a superhighway. It blows my mind that there isn't something equivalent to a superhighway running the entire distance from BKK to the border(s) of Malaysia.

there already is a bypass around hua hin , highway 4 splits into the magnificent eight laner highway 4 ( through cha-am and hua hin) and the newer but poorly surfaced four laner highway 4 that by-passes cha am and hua hin and re-joins highway 4 just before pranburi.

this plethora of branching and intersecting highway 4's has confused many a traveller.

the highway south , although picturesque in parts with fruit vendors and huge trees , definately needs upgrading south of hua hin.

i read that the proposed new road over the sea , that would have hit land at haat chaaw samraan , 15 minutes drive north of cha am , was vetoed by the king , it would have had a huge environmental impact on the mangroves swamplands and coastal wetlands in the petchaburi area.

they are quite special , as anyone who has visited and explored that area will i'm sure agree. (apart from the oil tank storage terminal there !!)

with all the development going on along the prajuap /cha am/hua hin coastal strip it surely wont be too long before the airservice is improved.

there is a good little airport just north of hua hin , and apart from a couple of daily flights to bangkok on a 15 or 20 seater , gets little use (apart from the flying school there)