Thai Tourist Dies In Boating “Incident” Off Jomtien Beach

Rimmer

Thai Tourist dies in boating “incident” off Jomtien Beach

boat-2.jpg
PATTAYA:--A 36 year old Thai Tourist died in an incident involving a speedboat off the coast of Jomtien beach on Saturday afternoon. Police are unsure if the man had already died before the collision or if the collision with the boat killed him.

The victim, Khun Pitak from Phitsanulok Province in the North of Thailand, was staying at the Natural Park Resort on Jomtien Beach and used the beach opposite the resort on Saturday. It is thought he went for a swim and was struck by the speedboat which was approaching the shoreline.

Khun Atichai aged 22, the boat driver, later explained to Police that he tows a Banana Boat and was about to finish for the day when he felt something hit his boat as he approached the shore. He claimed not to have seen the object which he soon found out was Khun Pitak who was pulled unconscious from the water.
Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/88500/thai-tourist-dies-boating-incident-jomtien-beach/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-05-26

My question is how many crew did the boat have, you need look forward and also backward at all times.

I would never go on one of them boats a you see the cretins that drive them deliberately do sharp turns in order to overturn the inflatables and tip everybody in the water.

{reply to post #6}

Maybe the paying customers want to be dunked in the water, but do you think the cretins who operate these boat ever methodically check each life preserver at least once a day for damaged buckles, straps and any other damage and check each passenger has put them on correctly before they get on the inflatable?

Edited by Basil B

>>>

Police are unsure if the man had already died before the collision or if the collision with the boat killed him.

>>>

>>>

He claimed not to have seen the object which he soon found out was Khun Pitak who was pulled unconscious from the water.

>>>

Since unconscious is not dead, the statement about the police makes no sense whatsoever.

TL

• Like 2

Glad to see all the effective measures that were taken after that Polish woman was killed here in Jomtien a few months back. Still haven't seen any signs that were there supposedly warning people about power boats, as claimed by Thai media (thereby making it her fault,of course). What sort of spin will be applied to this, other than already dead (sucide?).

• Like 1

Uk is just as bad, any fool can buy and operate a boat without a license. Never understand why you need a license for a scooter but you can tool about in a 40 foot power cruiser with no regulation.

Hopefully we will come into line with the rest of Europe, only just out of the news here in the UK was the runaway boat disaster 3 weeks ago the killed a top TV executive and his 8 year old daughter, and left his wife and son with "life changing" leg injuries after they were all thrown in the water and the boat continued circling and running over them many times because the driver failed to use a kill cord.

• Like 1

{reply to post #6}

Maybe the paying customers want to be dunked in the water, but do you think the cretins who operate these boat ever methodically check each life preserver at least once a day for damaged buckles, straps and any other damage and check each passenger has put them on correctly before they get on the inflatable?

Whilst a minor point when you considered someone died here, but back in 2004, up in Chiang Mai there is a lake outside of the city that offers pedal boat rental, they also provide a life jacket, however, if you returned the life jacket WET, they used to charge you extra! You weren't even allowed to rent a boat with a life jacket if you were still wet from swimming - Some of these things are just pure madness!

It wasn't me so Mai pen rai. If it is me one day then I will sort those cretins out! Oops already dead - didn't think about that 'insert your chosen religious icon here'. Nobody cares here if it does not directly affect themselves - not even worth the time to think about it. Think????

Edited by timewilltell

Uk is just as bad, any fool can buy and operate a boat without a license. Never understand why you need a license for a scooter but you can tool about in a 40 foot power cruiser with no regulation.

Hopefully we will come into line with the rest of Europe, only just out of the news here in the UK was the runaway boat disaster 3 weeks ago the killed a top TV executive and his 8 year old daughter, and left his wife and son with "life changing" leg injuries after they were all thrown in the water and the boat continued circling and running over them many times because the driver failed to use a kill cord.

That was his choice, he chose not to use a kill cord - bad decision - but we certainly don't want even more laws to curb personal freedom. Personally, I don't want to ever see Thailand become like Europe, I don't want a "Nanny State" I don't want laws controlling every action trying to control anything you want to say, people are responsible for their own actions, we do not need to be treated like 5 year olds, that is one of the reasons I like Thailand. It will be a very very black day if ever this country has the same idiotic laws that prevail in Europe that prevent your freedom to do what you want (within reason). A Brussels version of Thailand? No thanks! I can well do without that garbage!

Edited by Briandajew
  • Like 2

When are these brilliant people going to get a clue that boats and swimmers should not be in the same area? How many more tourists have to die before swimming areas are set up on all beaches or boats banned from beaches? I guess quite a few more as this just keeps happening without any change.

They could prevent this sort of thing cheaply and easily, I have been to a few lakes around Thailand there they simply attach ropes and nets to empty plastic bottles and make a floating rope barrier, it doesn't cost a lot, and if the boats want to cross it they have to come to almost a stop when they try to cross it or it gets in their props. (I suppose however the jet types could still get over them, so they could probably put huge steel spikes mounted in the seabed at horrible angles that would penetrate the boat and impale the drivers like Vlad The Impaler, it would probably rake in the tourists to watch the spectacle.

"Police were unsure if the man had already died before the collision or if the collision with the boat killed him?"

Wasn't this the same line used last week on the unfortunate death of the 68 year old man who was hit by a train up north...dead before the train hit him?

50/50% element of doubt cast in peoples minds and hey presto blame is shifted away from any other 'potential' guilty parties...don't you just love there way of reasoning

and not ever getting to the truth and bottom of anything..."NO ONE IS EVER TO BLAME"...(Repeat after me folks!)

• Like 1

.......something hit his boat.....

(..maybe better sue the family of the person he killed....)

.....truth.......the Thai way.....never ending convoluted reality to suit one's own needs....and keep oneself from any blame whatsoever...

.....this is really, really scary.....

(....think of all the other possibly innocent traffic victims....who were 'going at high speed'....but just possibly run into....)

I second the motion, NO seatbelts, No safety helmets, and No life jackets! It was much better a hundred years ago, with out the government getting in our hair. We could even go back to the caves. Why dont we just take out the traffic lights, while were at it, since most brain dead people dont use them anyway.

• Like 2

Banana Boat Collides With A Man At Jomtien Beach Tears His Ear Off And Dies After
A banana boat collided with a man from Phitsanulok province, the boat's propeller then tear his ear off. The man died shortly after the accident.

PATTAYA – May 25, 2013 [PDN]; At 5.50 p.m. on May 25, 2013 Pol. Lt. Col. Attharos Khrongrach, Investigation Officer of Pattaya police station, was informed that there was an accident at Jomtien beach. It was reported that a banana boat collided with Thai man. Which fatally injured the man. The owner of the boat and the municipal officer brought the injured back to shore and called an ambulance to aid him to Bangkok-Pattaya hospital. Police then sent out a team to investigate the incident.

The man was then sent to Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital’s emergency room where he was immediately treated by doctors and nurses. It was reported that his left ear was torn and that he was bleeding heavily. Doctors tried to pump his heart, but the injuries were so severe that he couldn’t endure the pain. Moments later, he ultimately died at the emergency room. The man was later identifed as 36 year-old Phitak Ad-on.
Full storyhttp://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/05/26/banana-boat-collides-with-a-man-at-jomtien-beach-tears-his-ear-off-and-dies-after/

--PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2013-05-26

"When he felt something hit his boat". So it will be the dead mans fault for hitting the boat.

driftwood, bottles, dogs, dolphins, people are all in the same category when they go thump on a Thai drivers powerboat. If there was damage I would not be surprised to see him ask for compensation in court.

My question is how many crew did the boat have, you need look forward and also backward at all times.

I would never go on one of them boats a you see the cretins that drive them deliberately do sharp turns in order to overturn the inflatables and tip everybody in the water.

Here's your answer Basil. Thai's are always looking forward when going backwards and backwards when going forward. They call this back to back forward thinking, I think? blink.png

• Like 1