Two Die As Errant Bang Fai Rocket Engulfs Car In Ball Of Flames: Nong Khai

webfact

I love the hub of idiocy. Not the only reason i moved to Asia but this place would be numbingly boring if it was as heavily regulated as the west has become. 

Going to a rocket festival. Park at least rocket flight distance away and walk to the event?

Then you would need to park as much as 10km's away as that's how high some of these bloody things go.

These are not fireworks in the traditional sense they are solid fuel rockets and should be banned.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

"First degree burns"? Nobody dies from that. Maybe The Nation thought that first degree is of a higher class than third?

The report didn't actually say he died from first-degree burns, it says he suffered them and died later in hospital. Perhaps he died from smoke inhalation?

Good point, I didn't consider this. I would prefer that myself.

I love the hub of idiocy. Not the only reason i moved to Asia but this place would be numbingly boring if it was as heavily regulated as the west has become.

Going to a rocket festival. Park at least rocket flight distance away and walk to the event?

Then you would need to park as much as 10km's away as that's how high some of these bloody things go.

These are not fireworks in the traditional sense they are solid fuel rockets and should be banned.

I take it from your avatar that you ride a motorcycle? In Thailand?

Up to 26,000 people are killed in road accidents every year in Thailand, which puts the country

in the 6th spot in terms of road casualties. Of those killed, up to 70 or 80 per cent are motorcyclists or their passengers.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

Deaths from Bang Fai Rockets 2013 = 2, 2011 = 1

Deaths from motorcycle accidents in one year = approx. 19,500

Edited by amore
  • Like 1

>>

Up to 26,000 people are killed in road accidents every year in Thailand, which puts the country

in the 6th spot in terms of road casualties. Of those killed, up to 70 or 80 per cent are motorcyclists or their passengers.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html

One doesn't have to even see the avatar - thaicbr - is a clue. Hope thaicbr wears an inflatable crash vest ... or a red, yellow and blue suit that has a big triangularized 'S' on it (this would also make him rocket-resistant ... if not genuinely rocket-proof as well as motorbike-crash-proof).

Edited by MaxYakov

And deaths from heart disease and cancer 50,000 per year. What's your point?????

It so awful that happened RIP to the poor victims, some bangfai are dangerous, last year one exploded after been launched and did happily no victims.
I will go to launch my rocket this wednesday, hope the event will continue with no more accidents.

Be sure to attach the 'guidance system' and to remove the warhead or make it inert. A descent-parachute is probably out of the question, eh?

Edited by MaxYakov

RIP

2 more victims in the Hub of idiocy!

I like this hub of idiocy.

Not the reason I moved to Asia but one of the reasons I am still here is that it is not as heavily regulated as the west.

To a certain extent I agree with this sentiment. Regulation, even in the name of safety, can go too far. Last time I returned home to Australia I was amazed to see that you can now be ticketed for driving barefoot or wearing flip-flops. (!!)

On the other hand, a competition where local folks are encouraged to construct the kinds of things that can accidentally blow up a car in a nearby parking lot? I don't think it is too unreasonable to say the neighbour's right to safety is paramount in this case.

Edited by cocopops

B250,000 in insurance payments - I guess now to be paid to the families of the deceased. What happens if there are no "accidents"?

The same thing that happens if you don't have a claim on your car insurance, for example...the insurance company keeps the premiums, of course. That's the downside of insurance.

Forgetting, of course, that claims are actually paid by insurance companies ... even some illegitimate claims. No, I'm not defending insurance companies, it's just that I've been paid for theft and damage several times by my car insurance companies.

Here's an article on the profit margin of Ontario, Canada auto insurance companies (between 4 and 5.5 percent, if one is to believe it):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/audits-show-ontario-auto-insurers-profits-slim-as-ndp-seeks-premium-cuts/article11106497/

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.ht

ml

And deaths from heart disease and cancer 50,000 per year. What's your point?????

I would have thought my point was obvious. There is an incredibly far greater chance of a motorcyclist being killed on the roads of Thailand but you still ride a motorbike. Yet with the same decision / risk taking portion of brain you declare that the Bang Fai Rockets and by extension festivals are dangerous and should be banned.

Police said the firework, which was detonated by an electrical current,

was found to have been mistakenly launched without its guidance system

after the person responsible for launching the rocket forgot to include

it in the rocket's launch set up.

A more realistic explanation.

The guidance system is a set greased rings on a vertical wooden structure which the bamboo pole (stabilizer) slides through. Launch protocol calls for the rocket to be secured into position before the detonator is placed after which the operator hands the wires from the detonator to the firing man.

Obviously in this case some dimwit inserted a detonator into an unsecured rocket and the firing man didn't check to see if everything was safe before setting it off.

in either case this is Negligent Homicide x 2

and they all should see jail for it.

This MIGHT instill some increased thought to the rocketry process.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

The point is, in Thailand you can choose to take whatever risks you like without the 'nanny state' deciding for you, which risks are acceptable.

You want to risk death by rocket, m/c with no helmet, car with no seat belt, DUI, sausage+bacon+egg+hash browns breakfast, you can.

If you want to avoid those risks, you can.

Just as nobody forces you to ride a m/c.

Nobody forced those men to attend a rocket festival.

Personal choice, personal freedom.

• Like 1

Enforcing some levels of common sense is typically a reason to have a state at all.

As well as prevent the stupid and or evil from harming others willy nilly.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect

Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the

common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of

Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this

Constitution for the United States of America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Constitution

Now, let me see ... where would 'enforcing some levels of common sense' fit in there. I've got it! It would be under 'promote the general Welfare' right alongside 'redistribute wealth from those that have to those that have not' and 'create so many regulations that free markets and business cannot function' I suppose - along with a host of other freedom-constraining actions of government.

Edited by MaxYakov

I would have thought my point was obvious. There is an incredibly far greater chance of a motorcyclist being killed on the roads of Thailand but you still ride a motorbike. Yet with the same decision / risk taking portion of brain you declare that the Bang Fai Rockets and by extension festivals are dangerous and should be banned.

Nope. That's not what I said. I said the ultra large non traditional rockets should be banned and Bang Fai festivals go back to what they were like before the advent of huge rockets capable of a height of 5km's plus.

And my decision to ride a bike is tempered by the fact that I can wear protection, helmet etc. And to a certain extent control the situation.

I huge rocket flying out of control and hitting my car. can't really!

RIP

2 more victims in the Hub of idiocy!

I like this hub of idiocy.

Not the reason I moved to Asia but one of the reasons I am still here is that it is not as heavily regulated as the west.

To a certain extent I agree with this sentiment. Regulation, even in the name of safety, can go too far. Last time I returned home to Australia I was amazed to see that you can now be ticketed for driving barefoot or wearing flip-flops. (!!)

On the other hand, a competition where local folks are encouraged to construct the kinds of things that can accidentally blow up a car in a nearby parking lot? I don't think it is too unreasonable to say the neighbour's right to safety is paramount in this case.

And here in Thailand you can get a ticket for driving without a shirt... which petty law makes slightly more sense :)

The point is, in Thailand you can choose to take whatever risks you like without the 'nanny state' deciding for you, which risks are acceptable.

You want to risk death by rocket, m/c with no helmet, car with no seat belt, DUI, sausage+bacon+egg+hash browns breakfast, you can.

If you want to avoid those risks, you can.

Just as nobody forces you to ride a m/c.

Nobody forced those men to attend a rocket festival.

Personal choice, personal freedom.

Yep. Same as the people last year in Suphanburi who had their homes burnt down by an errant rocket.. they could have moved their houses!

I'm not saying ban it. Just saying some of the monster rockets are just that monsters.

On 15 kilometer distance you won't see much I guess.

I think it is time that we farang here in Thailand, should enter in the compitition with a state of the art, solid fuelled rocket and computer guidance system. I feel quite sure there is enough good old common sense and expertise in chemistry here on Thai Visa to make this work.

article-0-01CF306E00000578-296_468x286.j

• Like 1

The point is, if these blokes were to be paid commensurately with loss of future earnings, 5 mn baht at 20k per month for 20 years.

Then it would be rather worthwhile to attempt to make these festivals a hell of a lot safer instead of relying on somchai in flip flops to do the wiring and put on the guidance system.

Guidance system? Ooooh, please. They didn't tie it on properly.

On TV one hit a house with 3 occupants in. 2 km from the launch site. Luckily no one killed.

What goes up must come down. Our local launching starts next week and will go for 3 days with a new rocket every 2 minutes or so. I don't go to the grounds, the drunken louts drove me off years ago, but can see it clearly from my upstairs veranda. Once burnt out the rockets seem to float down horizontally and appear to be harmless BUT woe betide anyone being hit and no one knows where they are going to finish up. I very much doubt they could penetrate a tin roof let along tiled but in saying that I keep my head and my car under strong cover.

I am sure these burnt out rockets or plastic pies can do a lot of damage.

Recently something fell on our roof and made a large hole on the tiles. I couldn't see what it was only that it was blue. I was convinced it was something from a plane to be able to smash through the roof like that.

Anyway paid someone a fortune to fix the hole and found out what ot was. It was a baby toilet seat made of plastic. We can only guess that it must have beeb thrown or dropped from a nearby condo. I hate to think what would have happened if it had hit someone.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app