Thii Rak Alternative Terms Of Affection?

DeDanan

Thii Rak alternative Terms of Affection?

I am looking for Thai terms of affection. “Thii rak” seems over done!

Sorry I can't help restrain myself, and with apologies for the plagiarism to my good friend LG , but to quote the most infamous line ever posted on the Internet regarding Thai culture, a common way to express such sentiments is haa roi baat, although these days taking into consideration inflation, phan baat.

I think it is rather the fact that there aren't a lot of choices apart from tee rak. I never took the optional poetry course when I studied Thai though...

...asked my significant other and she racked her brain for answers, saying she really could not find any other alternatives.

Her next reflexion was that many Thai couples will give each other sweet-sounding nick names. She also said that many Thais never use such names in public, because of shyness and social faut-pax.

Using 'pii' (female to male) and 'nong' (male to female) is more common.

คู่รัก koo rak (sweetheart)

คู่ควง koo kuang not commonly used now

สุดที่รัก soot tee rahk (darling)

My favorite is ทูนหัว toon hua (beloved)

Edited by tywais

...she agreed with ทูนหัว (male to female) but said not many people use it. As for คู่รัก and คู่ควง, they are a bit different from 'tee rak' in that you cannot use them to call upon your loved one, but to speak ABOUT her.

You're right. คู่ means spouse, mate or partner. Just thought I would give him a spectrum to look at because not clear what context he would like to use it in.

Let's be certain we make clear which are address terms (used to speak *to* the person), versus reference terms (used to speak *about* the person). Some can be both, but some can't.

ที่รัก สุดที่รัก and ทูนหัว (or แม่ทูนหัว) are all address terms. They can also be reference terms, often in the possessive, unless already understood as such. ทูนหัวโทร.มาตาม...ต้องกลับบ้านแล้ว

คู่รัก คู่ควง and หวานใจ are reference terms.

Another random note:

Watching American movies in Thai movie theathers, I have noticed คู่ควง is commonly used in the subtitles to translate the English word "date" in the noun sense of "she is my date for the evening." That is, your partner for a date/event. In this usage it doesn't appear to mean the two are necessarily romantically involved, so if it has fallen out of use in the meaning "sweetheart, lover," perhaps it is coming back into use in line with the English "date." Since ควง means to walk arm-in-arm, it is a return to a more literal meaning: you go places together (though not actually arm-in-arm constantly), but you're not in a relationship yet.

After typing all that, I asked my wife, and according to her คู่ควง is a bit pejorative, too, meaning someone who you go out with, but maybe you're not sincerely interested in them. Perhaps it's because you're leading them on, or maybe similar to the idea of a กิ๊ก. Not sure, but very interesting.

Edited by Rikker

I don't know why this thread reminds me of this, but as slight aside, I love that ad they play at the cinema just before the movie where the girl falls in love with the nerd cause he says the turns his mobile off.

Prior to this, she is insulting him for stalking her by telling him 'hua muan har-kow tord", litterally, "your head looks like a fried (dim sum) dumpling".

Totally hillarious, and it gets Thai people to switch off the mobile during the movie. Somthing that I thought could never be achived!

ํThanks for pointing this one out, too. You've transliterated it fine. What you're reffering to is spelled จ๋า in Thai. For linguistics nerds, it's a vocative final particle, meaning it's used when speaking to someone, specifically calling out to them. It follows a noun and has the effect of endearment. You can use it with a lot of different nouns in reference to your significant other:

ที่รักจ๋า

เธอจ๋า

(name)จ๋า

etc.

The response to this is also typically จ๋า, used without a head noun, or with the noun following:

Person A: ที่รักจ๋า

Person B: จ๋า มีอะไรเหรอจ๋าที่รัก

Talk about super sweet!

(This is also used between parents and children, or other close relationships. แม่จ๋า, ลูกจ๋า, that sort of thing.)

"ja" is my term of choice (though I don't have anyone to use it with now!). I think in addition to its meaning, it has such a nice, soothing sound. I was astonished once in class when I called on a student (adult) & she answered with "Ja". Thinking maybe I didn't quite understand the range of meaning I asked some Thai friends about it. They agreed that it was highly unsual, & pretty bold, for a student to use this term for a teacher. Not that I minded too much...

Thanks for the info on JA จ๋า. :o

PS

Shouldn't JA จ๋า only come after a vocative or when answering a call, so B should say:

จ๋า มีอะไรเหรอจ้ะที่รัก (or จ๋า มีอะไรเหรอจ๊ะที่รัก).

In my mind there's a bit of stylistic freedom here... I think maybe typing it the "correct" way is as you have pointed out. If you actually said it the way I typed it, it would be fine, but perhaps laying it on a bit thick.

You might potentially answer simply: จ๋าที่รัก, with the noun following the responsive จ๋า.

All this sweet talk, you all must be young and still infatuated as only young lovers may be. Those of us long married to a Thai woman, or any other nationality for that matter, know one best refer to your beloved as cao nai, the boss. :o

Thanks for the info on JA จ๋า. :o

PS

Shouldn't JA จ๋า only come after a vocative or when answering a call, so B should say:

จ๋า มีอะไรเหรอจ้ะที่รัก (or จ๋า มีอะไรเหรอจ๊ะที่รัก).

จ๊ะ is the final particle in questions.

จ้ะ - yes, yes sir, a term of affirmative response.

So, the correct one is จ๋า มีอะไรเหรอจ๊ะที่รัก not จ๋า มีอะไรเหรอจ้ะที่รัก or จ๋า มีอะไรเหรอจ๋าที่รัก

To my credit, I was writing it to imitate speech, as I pointed out. I think in actual pronunciation I've heard it like I spelled it, but your point on correct official spelling using is valid.

Or it's possible that to segment it to make clear how it might also be how I spelled it:

จ๋า มีอะไรเหรอ จ๋าที่รัก, where the second จ๋า is not ending the question, but rather a repetition of the response to the vocative, along the lines as if the reply had simply been "จ๋าที่รัก".

That's just an idea, though.

คู่รัก koo rak sweetheart

คู่ควง

My favorite is ทูนหัว

หวานใจ wahn jai = sweet heart, but only used when talking about them

ด่า ลิง dar ling = darling = complain about the monkey :D

honey = หันหนี turn back ห่านี่ cursing :D

teerak is sweet ( wish someone could call me too :o But many at home would like to say Phee (for man and Nong for woman. Or Phor ( wife calls her husband as Daddy ;-) and Mae , husband calls his wife as Mom.

Edited by Saothai

honey = หันหนี turn back ห่านี่ cursing :D

teerak is sweet ( wish someone could call me too :o But many at home would like to say Phee (for man and Nong for woman. Or Phor ( wife calls her husband as Daddy ;-) and Mae , husband calls his wife as Mom.

แฟนผมก็บอกไอห่านี่ หวานมากเลยนะ 555

ดวงใจของพี่ (or as I like to use it....ดวงใจของข้า)

example:

Me : ดวงใจของข้านะจ๋า

Her: จ๋า

Me: หยิบเบียร์ให้นอยนะจ๊ะ

Her: จ๊ะ

So to understand how you use the จ๋า..... after another 3 or 4 repititions of the above conversation, would it end up something like this?

Me: หยิบเบียร์ให้นอยนะจ๊ะ

Her: เลิกเติมสักที ไอห่านี่ (trans... I am honey :D )

Me: OK honey :D:D

Her: จ๋า ไอห่า......

Just for fun na :o:D

Don't you people listen to Thai pop music? With mostly variations on the theme 'chan rak thur / thur mai rak chan / thur bpen khawng khao (boo-hoo :o )', the lyrics are littered with these kind of words:

แก้วตา gaew dtaa - the apple of my eye (non-literal translation)

แม่ทูนหัว mae toon hua (woman I carry on my head?! - literal trans.)

สายใจ saai jai

ขวัญใจ kwan jai

กานดา gaan da

ชื่นใจ cheun jai

These are just a few I can remember just now, there must be more.

I have no idea how common they are in everyday parlance, so of course you run the risk of sounding like a popstar (but that's no bad thing...) I think the first 'gaew dtaa' to be rather lovely and personally, I still always enjoy being called 'khon suay', even (or especially!) when said to me by a stranger...