Anybody In The Tpl Who Could Do A Job In The Big Leagues?

citizen33

I've always thought the gap is way too big. What has got my attention this season though is Buriram's Carmelo scoring 10 in 10 league games from mid-field, way better than Robbie Fowler managed. This lad was a Spanish under-21 international, had a few spells in La Liga's Primera Division, but struggled with serious injury for 3 or 4 years. Has he got his fitness back so that he could hack it in one of the big leagues, or is it just a case of a player finding his level? Anybody seen much of him?

Then:

And now:

Maybe one of the bigger leagues in Asia (Chinese Super League or Japanese J League). You need to bear in mind the differences between the standard of defenders he's up against in Thailand in comparison to Europe,

Probably right. Even with Carmelo, one could point to the fact that he has scored a lot of headed goals against weak defences, and also missed chances against bigger clubs in the AFC Champions League (including a pen). And yet he was seen as a real prospect at Sporting Gijon in La Liga about four years ago before his bad injury. If he keeps scoring it might indicate that he has got his fitness back (the powers of sun, sea etc?), and if that is so perhaps he could get back to where he was before. Will be interesting to see how the season goes.

There's a reason the lad is in Thailand and not Spain. Nearly 30 and towards the end of his career. Disappearing defenders and comedy goalkeepers. Fair play to him though. If he can make a name for himself and a bit of money at this age, good on him. But he's hardly a young prospect who might go back to Europe and make some kind of impact.

Nothing in the TPL is anywhere near even Championship at present.

Buriram and Muangthong are roughly the equivalent of a top half league 1 side. They would be the equivalent of Bristol City in the Championship last season if they were 'dropped' into that division.

That is probably about right, but the question is: could any player step up to a higher level?. If we take Bristol City, a couple of Prem clubs (iSwansea and Palace) have sniffed around Albert Adomah. Even though Carmelo is aged 29, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get another chance if he bangs in 25 goals this season. Admittedly the TPL is weak, but it is not actually so easy to score week after week. Fowler managed 2. Look at how few ex-Prem league players get a lot of goals when they drop down the leagues.

I don't know if there have been any good past examples of TPL players doing well. Buriram's previous top goal scorer, Frank Acheampong (who got 12 goals in a season), signed for Anderlecht for 1 million euros earlier this year. He doesn't seem to have done much for them but recently got a full Ghana cap.

Edited by citizen33

What has got my attention this season though is Buriram's Carmelo scoring 10 in 10 league games from mid-field

Watched him at Chonburi on Wednesday and was quite impressed with him. He bossed the midfield, his movement and link up play was very good and he was always available and in that extra yard of space. He must have been watching Paul Scholes videos. He was also rewarded with his goal at the end. He's obviously played at a higher standard. wai2.gif

Mind you we were total crap on the night and made it easy for him. Our midfield was simply non existent, Micky Mouse would have been man of the match if he'd played against us Wednesday.sad.png

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if there have been any good past examples of TPL players doing well. Buriram's previous top goal scorer, Frank Acheampong (who got 12 goals in a season), signed for Anderlecht for 1 million euros earlier this year. He doesn't seem to have done much for them but recently got a full Ghana cap.

Frank played season very well in Anderlecht U21 team which is unbelievable good team. They beat AC Milan in Viareggio Cup final and Frank scored twice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Torneo_di_Viareggio

I think I saw Frank play against Chelsea a couple of years ago in the Thailand XI. He was by far the best player in the Thai XI, very short and caused Chelsea loads of problems.

Yes, it will be interesting to see if Frank can break through into the Anderlecht first team, which given his age is a possibility.

Meanwhile Carmelo scored again against Pattaya and so maintained his goal a game average in the league - not bad for somebody who was crocked, but as others have said at 29 he may not have much future back in the big leagues. I see that his agents FIA Sports Management have prepared a compilation of his highlights from the Spanish leagues, which suggests to me that they want to see what the market for him is. The way Carmelo is going he will be the highest goalscorer in a season since the TPL was formed, and that from an attacking midfielder - so his performance is quite something.He scored another cracker against Ratchaburi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZsThiX5Uk4

Carmelo is on 15 goals in 14 games now - which is probably a record for the TPL He looks on course to surpass the 24 that Silva and Dangda got last season. Frank managed 19 in 2011 I see though that in the first year of the TPL, when it wouldn't have been as strong, Oliveira got 18 goals in 19 games.

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing in the TPL is anywhere near even Championship at present.

who was the lfast stocky little forward at buriram, african dude, achimpong? summat like that, thinks he's gone to turkey now, he could have played in the championship

woops just looked bac at the thread seems my mans been done!!! mario at muang thong could play at championship level, needs 2 get his precious posy arse into gear though this leagues to easy for him.