Thailand To Propose Multi-Cooperation With Cambodia

webfact

Thailand to propose multi-cooperation with Cambodia
By English News

13697078232575.jpg

BANGKOK, May 28 – A proposal to jointly develop economic zones and communication infrastructure between Thailand and Cambodia will be presented to a bilateral meeting next month.

Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul on Monday presided over a meeting of the Thai ad hoc committee preparing for bilateral talks in Phnom Penh on June 10-11.

He outlined five issues to be raised in the meeting including the establishment of two special economic zones in Aranyaprathet district of Sa Kaeo and Poipet district of Banteay Manchey, and Thailand’s eastern province of Trat and Koh Kong of Cambodia.

The second issue involves infrastructure developments of Roads # 5, 6 and 48 in Thailand which link Srae Ambel district of Koh Kong, a 6km railway from Aranyaprathet district to Ban Klong Luek of Tha Kam sub-district, Sa Kaeo, 48km railway from Poipet to Sri Sopon, and Ban Nong Iam border checkpoint in Sa Kaeo adjacent to Stueng Bot of Banteay Manchey.

Mr Surapong said Thailand will also propose public utility development and energy cooperation including Thailand’s offer to sell electricity to Cambodia from 80 megawatts to 120 megawatts and joint development of a power generating dam in Stueng Nam and coal power plant in Koh Kong.

The fourth proposal is on human resource development, particularly on public health, labour skills, Thai language studies, and opening of a centre for victims of human trafficking in Banteay Manchey and a centre for economic self sufficiency on the border.

Thailand will assist Cambodia in increasing its people’s income by facilitating the neighbouring country on agro industry and tourism.

Mr Surapong said the proposals, if agreed by Cambodia, will be immediately implemented without having to seek Thai parliamentary approval. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-05-28

Mr Surapong said Thailand will also propose public utility development and energy cooperation including Thailand’s offer to sell electricity to Cambodia from 80 megawatts to 120 megawatts

But I thought there wasn't enough electricity to meet Thailands needs as it was ! Good job there won't be any more power shortages in Bangkok and power outages in the South then rolleyes.gif

Not a word about the use of the disputed land next to the World Heritage temple in Cambodia.

It will be interesting to see how much of the rest of his speech turns into reality in the future.

Right on HD, one wounders just where these people spring from, on the one hand they are in the world court over a temple dispute , which is important in Their life , with the other hand ,we get this big presentation and feel good projects , which will never see light of day, these people sure are a worry.coffee1.gif

Two points only:
- allow Cambodian workers to take up jobs legally in Thailand. The Eastern provinces are DYING of lack of manpower. I found plenty of capable Cambodian men and women but I cannot get them legally into Thailand. I have the quota approval by the Dept. of Labour in Cholburi but the applicants have to enter Thailand on a "LA" visa which is NOT issued in Phnom Penh. Catch 22.
- allow Thai-registered vehicles to legally enter Cambodia (like Laos, Malaysia and Vietnam). While Cambodian-registered cars can roam Thailand for a month, the driver can stay in Thailand only 15 days as the driver entered ..... yes you got it right ...... overland. I got permits for legally entering/leaving Cambodia which took two months and USD 800 in fees. For what was the ITP (International Transport Permit) invented if not roaming Southeast Asian Countries.

We will see .........

• Like 1

"Without having to seek approval from pariament"? Anyone else think it should go through parliament?

Apparently it's written in the Constitution to enter these types of agreements, hence why Noppadon got into trouble about Phraer Viharn.

Yes, this type of stuff should be debated, but then so should a whole lot of stuff that appears to just be thought out on a whim, and cause huge trouble later such as the rural doctors or the closing the rural schools. Of course the government would win the vote, but why it isn't debated, just issued by cabinet decree I have never quite understood.

I guess it gives the chance for most of the MP's to be absent from parliament most of the time.

So Thaksin with the assistance of his eternal brother Hun Sen is ready to 'organise' a joint economic development programme with no need to 'bother' parliament. I wonder what else they have discussed he is isn't bothering them with. Those natural underwater resources the two countries share maybe?

Two points only:

- allow Cambodian workers to take up jobs legally in Thailand. The Eastern provinces are DYING of lack of manpower. I found plenty of capable Cambodian men and women but I cannot get them legally into Thailand. I have the quota approval by the Dept. of Labour in Cholburi but the applicants have to enter Thailand on a "LA" visa which is NOT issued in Phnom Penh. Catch 22.

- allow Thai-registered vehicles to legally enter Cambodia (like Laos, Malaysia and Vietnam). While Cambodian-registered cars can roam Thailand for a month, the driver can stay in Thailand only 15 days as the driver entered ..... yes you got it right ...... overland. I got permits for legally entering/leaving Cambodia which took two months and USD 800 in fees. For what was the ITP (International Transport Permit) invented if not roaming Southeast Asian Countries.

We will see .........

Depends on the natoinality, but the Labor office should have clear guidance for each nationality (Burmese, Lao and Cambodian) where they get their L-A Visa's. For most, you get them on the border in temporary passports issued there, but again, check with the Labour department. We went through the process for our Burmese maid. There will be an anaologous process for Cambodians.

As for you driving to Cambodia - did you by chance write up how you got this permit?

"Without having to seek approval from pariament"? Anyone else think it should go through parliament?

Apparently it's written in the Constitution to enter these types of agreements, hence why Noppadon got into trouble about Phraer Viharn.

Yes, this type of stuff should be debated, but then so should a whole lot of stuff that appears to just be thought out on a whim, and cause huge trouble later such as the rural doctors or the closing the rural schools. Of course the government would win the vote, but why it isn't debated, just issued by cabinet decree I have never quite understood.

I guess it gives the chance for most of the MP's to be absent from parliament most of the time.

The advantage to debate even when you know you are not going to sway the already bought and paid for MPs is that it gives more of the Thai population a chance to see what they were payed to vote for.sad.png

"Thailand will assist Cambodia in increasing its peoples income by facilitating the neighbouring country on agro industry and tourism."

The minister of Foreign Affairs forgot to add "as we are doing in Thailand"

Not a word about the use of the disputed land next to the World Heritage temple in Cambodia.

It will be interesting to see how much of the rest of his speech turns into reality in the future.

He's not likely to say anything is he? The ICJ ruling isn't due until October.

It's Article 190 of the Constitution that states that all treaties and contracts with Foreign Countries be debated in parliament. The PTP want to amend this article to define what actually needs to be debated first. You may remember the farce with the NASA weather project. The PTP had to let that one "get away" because they were (rightfully) worried that if the cabinet signed off on it the Democrat Party would set the Constitutional Court on the dissolution path - it's not as if they don't have previous.

Edited by amore

Right on HD, one wounders just where these people spring from, on the one hand they are in the world court over a temple dispute , which is important in Their life , with the other hand ,we get this big presentation and feel good projects , which will never see light of day, these people sure are a worry.coffee1.gif

This government was left with the ICJ ruling debacle by the last lot, whose diplomatic overtures with Cambodia were as infantile as threatening to pull Thailand out of Unesco and as dangerous as letting the Thai Army fire the almost universally worldwide banned cluster munition at the Cambodians then denying it and then admitting it. Except that the army calls them Dual Purpose Improved "Conventional" Munition - Nice. Far more of a worry I'd have thought.

In response to amore's off-topic drivel
"It's Article 190 of the Constitution that states that all treaties and contracts with Foreign Countries be debated in parliament. The PTP want to amend this article to define what actually needs to be debated first. You may remember the farce with the NASA weather project. The PTP had to let that one "get away" because they were (rightfully) worried that if the cabinet signed off on it the Democrat Party would set the Constitutional Court on the dissolution path - it's not as if they don't have previous."

The current government led by majority party Pheu Thai is pushing for various amendment. The reason for amending section 190 might be the dire situation on chap called Noppadon is in. He caused the ICJ debacle which gave the previous government a headache and which was 'conveniently' escalated by eternal fiend Hun Sen who seemed to mingle in Thai politics. The multi-purpose cooperation mentioned in the topic may very well be put on hold when the ICJ makes a ruling later this year on the area around the temple complex.

Of course, it won't be Ms. Yingluck's fault, her cabinet just sometimes seem to have less knowledgeble, capable, full of potential, suitable figures. The Minister in this topic keeps forgetting things, like asking for the return of a passport.

Thailand has been supplying electricity to Cambodia for years.

I wonder what mark-up is?

It is called TRADING. Buying from Laos at X, using the power grid through Thailand and selling it to Cambodia results in Y; the make the deal work there is the Z factor to cut the deal!