Can My Farang Girl Become Thai ?

I'm a Thai national, my girlfriend is farang. I've heard that she could become a Thai citizen (with a Thai ID card as well) on top of her current non-Thai passport if we would be married. Is this true? Because the thing is that our government has different rules towards foreign women. As you know it's not possible to become a Thai for foreign men. Is it true that there is some kind of "positive discrimination" towards women? I'm sure there must be other farang woman here married to a Thai husband.

Thank you krup.

Assuming your Post is genuine? then you really have a lot to learn from your Thai Ministry either way i'm not biting. But I can tell you that positive discrimination,most certainly does not apply to Farangs!

Well, my post is genuine, I'm Thai but also farang. Got 2 passports myself (dad is farang, mom is Thai), however we moved here 2 yrs ago and we plan to stay and marry in thailand and I don't get all these different stories from both farangs as well as Thais.

I figured if I marry her as a Thai man instead of farang, things could become easier, as her husband is Thai.

Anyways, looking for answers, and I'm not here to fool around or troll lol.

• Like 1

Well, my post is genuine, I'm Thai but also farang. Got 2 passports myself (dad is farang, mom is Thai), however we moved here 2 yrs ago and we plan to stay and marry in thailand and I don't get all these different stories from both farangs as well as Thais.I figured if I marry her as a Thai man instead of farang, things could become easier, as her husband is Thai.Anyways, looking for answers, and I'm not here to fool around or troll lol.

A Thai Dutchie ?

Yes, if married to a Thai it is more easy to become a Thai national. But there are additinal requirements! A foreign woman has slight advantages over a foreign man in that regard.

You topic is about Thai nationality, which is discussed in the visa for Thailand section.

I move your topic to there, where you can find more answers on this.

• Like 1

Well, my post is genuine, I'm Thai but also farang. Got 2 passports myself (dad is farang, mom is Thai), however we moved here 2 yrs ago and we plan to stay and marry in thailand and I don't get all these different stories from both farangs as well as Thais.I figured if I marry her as a Thai man instead of farang, things could become easier, as her husband is Thai.Anyways, looking for answers, and I'm not here to fool around or troll lol.

A Thai Dutchie ?

Yes :)

You will always marry her as a Thai (and Dutch) national as you have both nationalities.

As she will be married to a Thai male, she doesn't have to show any income for an extension of stay.

Look here under PR and Thai naitonality for some links to documents regarding Thai nationality:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/3139-useful-immigration-information-visa-descriptions/

• Like 1

Actually both men and women can become naturalized Thai - just as other countries allow such. It used to be easier for a woman as PR was not a requirement but PR has been removed from the requirement for men now also. Read the threads here in visa section on Thai Citizenship if you do not obtain enough information in this thread.

• Like 1

Assuming your Post is genuine? then you really have a lot to learn from your Thai Ministry either way i'm not biting. But I can tell you that positive discrimination,most certainly does not apply to Farangs!

Ignore this poster, he doesn't know what he is talking about.

If you marry your girlfriend, she is eligble to apply for Thai citizenship at the Special Branch office at police HQ on Rama 1 Rd in BKK. And yes, the laws written to slightly favour foreign females who apply.

There are a range of criteria needed including (but not limited to):

- Being married for 3 years (without kids) or married for 1 year (with kids)

- The husband having an income of at least 15,000 per month

- Evidence of tax paid on that income (tax returns need to be shown

- The wife registered in the yellow tabieen baan

- Your military records, showing you have reported for the draft

- Thai witnesses to vouch for the application.

There are a few other thing, but they are the main ones. You apply at special branch, and the entire process can take a minimum of 3 years after application, which will include interviews with the Ministry of Interior etc.

Also, another thing to correct, as others have said, foreign males can and do apply for Thai citizenship.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

Assuming your Post is genuine? then you really have a lot to learn from your Thai Ministry either way i'm not biting. But I can tell you that positive discrimination,most certainly does not apply to Farangs

If you marry your girlfriend, she is eligble to apply for Thai citizenship at the Special Branch office at police HQ on Rama 1 Rd in BKK. And yes, the laws written to slightly favour foreign females who apply.

There are a few other thing, but they are the main ones. You apply at special branch, and the entire process can take a minimum of 3 years after application, which will include interviews with the Ministry of Interior etc.

Also, another thing to correct, as others have said, foreign males can and do apply for Thai citizenship.

Samran. Have you forgotten the need to speak Thai up to P6 level test!

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Haven't forgotten anything. It isn't needed, though some level of communication is going to be needed.

No singing of national or royal anthems either if applying via a spouse.

Haven't forgotten anything. It isn't needed, though some level of communication is going to be needed. 

No singing of national or royal anthems either if applying via a spouse.

OK. So I presume that's the same the married men?

You say "some level of communication" can you elaborate please. Thanks

Thanks everyone I think that link is very helpful!

Yes I also believe basic Thai should be enough. Although she is really doing her best in Thailand. She speaks Thai, she can both read and write it because of the language school. She did not study Thai due education visa or to become Thai one day. She thinks its better to learn both culture and language in a new country, she would expect the same from foreigners who are going to live in her home-country.

Anyways, thanks again, now we go marry first, start a family, apply for it and perhaps in a few more years I can leave a positive post in this same thread :)

Thanks everyone I think that link is very helpful!

Yes I also believe basic Thai should be enough. Although she is really doing her best in Thailand. She speaks Thai, she can both read and write it because of the language school. She did not study Thai due education visa or to become Thai one day. She thinks its better to learn both culture and language in a new country, she would expect the same from foreigners who are going to live in her home-country.

Anyways, thanks again, now we go marry first, start a family, apply for it and perhaps in a few more years I can leave a positive post in this same thread smile.png

thats the idea - it can not be rushed I am in the steps of applying now, trust me its not easy lol but get all the documents in order submit and wait wait wait,......

• Like 1

OK. So I presume that's the same the married men?

You say "some level of communication" can you elaborate please. Thanks

check out the link provided above.

I was refering to your statement P-6 level of Thai being needed, which it isn't. Depending on your qualifications and how you apply, some Thai will be needed - how much depends on your other qualifications. For those applying on the basis of being married to a Thai, then no singing will be required.

rolleyes.gif No, she can not become a Thai citizen from marriage to a Thai.

For that matter neither can a Farang male become a Thai citizen by marrying a Thai woman.

Now there is a process to become a Thai citizen, but that's a long process and it is not from simply marriage.

If she had one Thai parent, then she would possibly have dual nationality from that, and therefore would be a Thai citizen.

The rules, as far as I know, regarding becoming a Thai citizen are exactly the same for a male or female.

And normally the key to becoming getting Thai citizenship is having one Thai parent --- nothing else.

whistling.gif

P,S. Now it is possible for a woman married to a Thai to get long term residence in Thailand, in exactly the same way that a man married to a Thai woman, can also live long term in Thailand based on marriage to his Thai wife.

But that's just living in Thailand, it's NOT citizenship or becoming a permanent resident in Thailand.

Becoming a permanent resident in Thailand or actually getting citizenship is possible ..... but it's a long involved legal process.

Ok thanks again all, now I'm a bit confused because all 3 guidelines posted here all seem to be legit, not made up or something, so how do I know which one is the good one? Also asking in favour for possible other people following this thread, because it is already confusing, but 3 guidelines is even more confusing. Or she could follow all 3 of them and she is always good ;)

Ok thanks again all, now I'm a bit confused because all 3 guidelines posted here all seem to be legit, not made up or something, so how do I know which one is the good one? Also asking in favour for possible other people following this thread, because it is already confusing, but 3 guidelines is even more confusing. Or she could follow all 3 of them and she is always good wink.png

While ChrisinBKK's post is an excellent one, it is for foreign males married to Thai wives.

The rules for foreign females married to Thai males are slightly different and sightly more advantaegous (eg, lower income threshold). Special branch will have the correct details for you.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

Ok thanks again all, now I'm a bit confused because all 3 guidelines posted here all seem to be legit, not made up or something, so how do I know which one is the good one? Also asking in favour for possible other people following this thread, because it is already confusing, but 3 guidelines is even more confusing. Or she could follow all 3 of them and she is always good wink.png

While ChrisinBKK's post is an excellent one, it is for foreign males married to Thai wives.

The rules for foreign females married to Thai males are slightly different and sightly more advantaegous (eg, lower income threshold). Special branch will have the correct details for you.

Yes that is correct I think the information you need is in http://gsd.sbpolice....onality eng.pdf but the guide line I posted is a clear guide as to what you would need to get together (taken me a good couple of months just to get it all together and correct) as Samran stats for Farang Lady it should be a little easier....

• Like 1

Samran has described the main requirements for her to apply for Thai citizenship.

The answer to your question about gender discrimination is that it still exists in this respect but much less so than before. The 2008 Nationality Act allowed foreign men applying for naturalisation exemption from the previous need to have permanent residence. They are also exempted from singing the National and Royal Anthems but they still need to have a profession in Thailand be able to tax receipts. Women with Thai husbands apply under Section 9 of the Act and the process is called "adoption of husband's Thai nationality" rather than naturalisation which is under Section 10. The main difference is that in chauvanistic Thailand women are expected to be house wives and mothers and aren't expected to go out to work. The onus is on you to show an income but, as Samran says, it is only 15k a month which wouldn't tempt too many farang women to tie the knot. Farang men with Thai wives have to show salary of 40k a month which is probably not too tempting to many Thai women either.

Unfortunately the process seems to be taking longer than it did even a few years ago. Some people are waiting 4-5 years for the interview at the Ministry of the Interior and the rest of the process could easily take another 2-3 years or more. So bear that in mind, if she wants to apply in future, although hopefully things will improve.

• Like 1

If you are asking, can a white skinned person become a brownie, no, probably not.

If you are asking if an American, Danish, or British person can get thai citizenship, yes, it is probably possible.

If you are asking, can a white skinned person become a brownie, no, probably not.

If you are asking if an American, Danish, or British person can get thai citizenship, yes, it is probably possible.

And what has colour have to do with the price of milk my old son?

Sent from my GT-I9300

• Like 2

Who in their right mind want to be Thai citizen. Ok if you have another nationality as well.

I have a friend who is married to thai but she kept her nationality, no problem. No need to show money in bank for visa.

Your point? Please stay on topic