Blue Eyed Father, Brown Eyed Mother = Always Brown Eyed Child?

MrHammer

Half Thai, brown eyed dad. Blue/Green eyed mother. We produced a very blue eyed girl.

Wow. The child in the middle has amazing eyes.

Bangkok

I've only seen blue eyes once in BKK. The father was an English guy; his wife was Thai. They had two sons. Both had sky blue eyes.

Pattani

I've heard stories about a family of Portuguese descendants with blue eyes and the surname Santo Da Cunha. The story dates back several decades. It was reported by a UN guy. I've written to the guy (twice, in fact), and he's adamant that his story is real. I live in Pattani but have never seen these people.

Nakhon Sri Thammarat

My Thai GF's mother has green eyes. She is almost certainly of Dutch descent, but thus far this has been impossible to prove.

I got into a Bangkok taxi the other week and had to do a double take of the driver given his sub-continental looks.

This bloke was in his 60's, and had green eyes. He was light skinned (think Imran Khan) with looks approaching that of someone from the mediteranian. Turns out he was born in Chiang Mai to a Thai mother and a half English-Aghan father. So he was Thai born and bred and had worked in shipping import/export for his career. The taxi job was his part time retirment job (he owned the taxi and only drove when he needed to).

I have blue eyes, and stuck with being left handed as well... :-)

When my half Thai daughter was born, she had astonishing blue eyes.

So much so the Thai medical staff would keep coming into the room

to look at her after she was born. The blue faded away in a few months,

and now she has the standard light brown eyes..

I too am blue-eyed and left-handed.

Never heard of blue eyes fading (or changing) to brown, though.

It's not really that blue "fades" because blue is just the colour that eyes look when the iris does not have any of the brown pigment melanin. It is the default "non-colour" and the appearance of blue is caused by light scattering, not by any blue pigment.

When Caucasian babies are new born, often the layer of melanin that causes brown eyes has not been developed, and takes months (or rarely years) to form. It's unusual though for Asians not to already have this melanin layer laid down in the iris before birth.

• Like 1

I got into a Bangkok taxi the other week and had to do a double take of the driver given his sub-continental looks.

This bloke was in his 60's, and had green eyes. He was light skinned (think Imran Khan) with looks approaching that of someone from the mediteranian. Turns out he was born in Chiang Mai to a Thai mother and a half English-Aghan father. So he was Thai born and bred and had worked in shipping import/export for his career. The taxi job was his part time retirment job (he owned the taxi and only drove when he needed to).

Yes you see blue/green eyed people in Northern India/Afghanistan/Iran, Parsi's etc. Remember that striking Nat Geo cover girl? She was Afghani.

I would reckon the genetics governing that factor in those gene pools may work a bit differently from Northern European populations, since the colors have been able to persist over thousands of years where 99.99% of the surrounding population are dark-eyed.

Or maybe somehow that characteristic originally came from the Aryan regions, in which case another example of how non-scientific the common concept of "race" is.

Edited by GottaGo

Phenotype is not often as simple as crossing a single gene, i.e., two from Mum, two from Dad (allele combinations). Often multiple genes contribute towards a single trait, expressing the phenotype. If all the genes involved in a certain trait are known then a Punnet Square can be constructed and the probability calculated as to the physical expression. It is normal for the dominant gene(s) to express in the phenotype. Phenotype means physical appearance.

Edited by lujanit

Half Thai, brown eyed dad. Blue/Green eyed mother. We produced a very blue eyed girl.

you overlook the fact that many children are born with bluish eyes that grow darker within the first year. .

post a picture in a year or so.

Edited by joeaverage

you overlook the fact that many children are born with bluish eyes that grow darker within the first year. .

post a picture in a year or so.

Just as many children, particularly eastern european, are born with blonde/white hair and that changes to mousy brown, case in point is me