Arrived On A Tourist Visa, Need A Non Immigrant B Visa For Work

Not me but...........

Hypothetical, If someone arrived on a tourist visa (not a visa exempt entry) can one obtain a non immigrant B visa in country or will they have to go to a neighbouring country ?

I apologise if this subject has been done to death but in all honesty the search function on TV is that useless it should infact be removed, might save on some bandwidth.

Normally a trip to a Consulate is required - although suspect large firms my be able to obtain a conversion or perhaps BOI One Stop customers (for work permit type work reasons). But what we see reported are trips to Consulates to obtain.

Thankyou for confirming my understandings of the process Lopburi.

Do you have a link to the immigration website to confirm this ?

Here is the required link for Non Immigrant Category 'B' Visas which are obtained at Thai Consulates http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

Edited by digitalchromakey

It used to be that provided you still had 28 days or more remaining on your tourist visa you could change the category of visa to a non-immigrant class B. I haven't heard of this ability being discontinued.

whistling.gif In the past it has been possible to convert the visa with some kind of letter offering you a job from a Thai employer and then paying the conversion fee. for a non immigrant B class visa.

As far as I know it's still possible.

But I've never done it, so I can't say for certain.

I believe you do need that 28 days minimum left on your tourist or non O visa however.

whistling.gif In the past it has been possible to convert the visa with some kind of letter offering you a job from a Thai employer and then paying the conversion fee. for a non immigrant B class visa.

As far as I know it's still possible.

But I've never done it, so I can't say for certain.

I believe you do need that 28 days minimum left on your tourist or non O visa however.

Requirement for WP is a non Imigrant visa so WP should be issued on a current Non O

I should have said there should not be any non immigrant O visa in this thread. They can not be converted - if on an extension of stay from a non immigrant O visa entry labor may or may not provide a work permit depending on the reason for extension (in most cases retirement extension would not allow a work permit issue).

It's a catch 22 situation.

Normally you can only convert into a non immigrant visa if you can fully comply with the requirements to get a 1 year extension.

A 1 year extension based on employment requires amongst others holding a work permit, but a work permit cannot be issued unless you have non immigrant status!

Different for example in case of retirement, when it's easy to fulfill all requirements (financial and age) before applying the conversion to non immigrant.

Sent from my B1-A71 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app