Withdrawing Money At Bank With Passport & Overseas Debit Card

blackman

i remember seeing posts about this before somewhere on TV but can't find it

how do i go about withdrawing funds from an overseas bank account using a Visa debit card and passport?

are there any limits to the withdrawal?

i expect there's a fee to be paid for the service

can someone how it works please?

thank you

Do you know your PIN, if so why not bypass the bank and go to the ATM? AEON ATM's do not charge.

i know about Aeon but my bank only allows a few hundred a day withdrawal by way of ATM

i want a few thousand so it would take me a few days to get that amount out

i can't organize an overseas transfer either as its Friday, it wouldn't get here until Monday and i want it today

thanks anyway

Both Siam Commercial and Bangkok Bank will do this. No fee on the Thai side. I did it at Bangkok Bank a couple of weeks ago, needed 170,000B quickly, got the Bangkok Bank exchange rate (44.4 on the day), though Nationwide (UK) charged me a total of GBP76 (a couple of %). There are cheaper ways, but its quick.

I think most of the exchange booths around town have limits of around 20-25k Baht per day. Possibly the ones outside branches of banks may allow larger withdrawals but I have not tried recently. Krung Thai in Pattaya Klang, (near to Beach Road) used to allow you to draw as much as you had in your account but when I tried a few months back they had reduced their limit to 20k as well.

OK, NP. My father did this a year ago or so, but it was on his credit card and he went into his Thai bank (Kasikorn). So you should be able to do it. I don't think he got a charge for the withdrawal from his bank here, although there was a charge for a cash withdrawal on the credit card and he got the credit cards wholesale exchange rate.

I have done this at SCB and Bangkok Bank with no problem. Go to a proper branch not Tesco. There is no charge this end. The only limit would be the ammount in your account. If you have not used this for some time

or at all I recommend phoning your bank first. If you are from UK the Fraud department will not be open but anyway the system is automatic to stop the withdrawal with no human intervention for what they think is suspect.. Most banks have 24 hours service call offices I suggest you phone them first. They will inform you that any suspect transaction is automatic and they cannot advise the system of your intended transaction. Having said that if they do stop it you can then phone back and they can unblock the system to get your money.

You will have to endure the press 1 press 2 etc untill you get to a human being . I do not think you will have a problem

I have done this at SCB and Bangkok Bank with no problem. Go to a proper branch not Tesco. There is no charge this end. The only limit would be the ammount in your account. If you have not used this for some time

or at all I recommend phoning your bank first. If you are from UK the Fraud department will not be open but anyway the system is automatic to stop the withdrawal with no human intervention for what they think is suspect.. Most banks have 24 hours service call offices I suggest you phone them first. They will inform you that any suspect transaction is automatic and they cannot advise the system of your intended transaction. Having said that if they do stop it you can then phone back and they can unblock the system to get your money.

You will have to endure the press 1 press 2 etc untill you get to a human being . I do not think you will have a problem

All I use is the yellow bank in Tesco,no queuing,friendly service and quick,better rates than ATM,service charge at other end though

All I use is the yellow bank in Tesco,no queuing,friendly service and quick,better rates than ATM,service charge at other end though

I should have said the mini branches that are found in places such as Tesco.

I have done this plenty of times from many different banks (Kassikorn, Ayuttayah, Siam, Bangkok). I think the rule basically depends on the branch. I was taking $100,000 baht at a time out of the same Siam bank for a couple of years and then one day they said sorry, only $50k at a time now, new rules. But I could go to the other Siam branch, about 5km away, and take out $100k still.

Have seen some refuse to let me take out more than $50k at a time as well and I gather it is just the tellers rule, not the branches. No idea why this happens, TIT

Wether you withdraw from an ATM or over the counter in the bank you will be charged a percent.

It's usually a percent of rate not really the amount you withdraw.

Ie if Bangkok bank had a rate of 44.04, your bank at home would have given you a rate of 43.7/43.8.

If you have online banking it should show in your transactions, it does with Halifax.

It took me about a year until I realised you could take big money out at a bank. I used to withdraw twice a week and pay for items on my card incurring charges all over the place.

Now I use Ayuthaya located central festival 4th floor (the yellow bank). They almost always have the best rates. I can withdraw anything from 15,000 to 250,000 baht. Then run across the mall and deposit into my kasikorn. Another point there card machines are ver quick, you can have 100,000 baht in minutes.

And obviously you avoid the 150baht charge from ATM.

I personally think its the best and safest way to withdraw in Thailand.

I have done this plenty of times from many different banks (Kassikorn, Ayuttayah, Siam, Bangkok). I think the rule basically depends on the branch. I was taking $100,000 baht at a time out of the same Siam bank for a couple of years and then one day they said sorry, only $50k at a time now, new rules. But I could go to the other Siam branch, about 5km away, and take out $100k still.

Have seen some refuse to let me take out more than $50k at a time as well and I gather it is just the tellers rule, not the branches. No idea why this happens, TIT

Siam commercial located in TukCom used to have a maximum of 250,000baht withdrawal, but they have the worst rates in Thailand.

Did you get your money?

SCB said i had to go to a main branch to draw up to 250,000

my home branch is on beach road

i will go there next week

meantime i drew 25000 at the sub branch as a test

worked a treat!

thanks guys

Wether you withdraw from an ATM or over the counter in the bank you will be charged a percent.

Ie if Bangkok bank had a rate of 44.04, your bank at home would have given you a rate of 43.7/43.8.

If you have online banking it should show in your transactions, it does with Halifax.

It took me about a year until I realised you could take big money out at a bank. I used to withdraw twice a week and pay for items on my card incurring charges all over the place.

Now I use Ayuthaya located central festival 4th floor (the yellow bank). They almost always have the best rates. I can withdraw anything from 15,000 to 250,000 baht. Then run across the mall and deposit into my kasikorn. Another point there card machines are ver quick, you can have 100,000 baht in minutes.

Your suggestion that all are charged by your home when withdrawing from an ATM is incorrect. Many are not. Including holders of the Halifax Clarity credit card.

You just need to obtain better financial instruments. Metro Bank debit and credit cards top the list. Halifax Clarity too. N&P BS Gold account debit.

Your suggestion that all are charged by your home when withdrawing from an ATM is incorrect. Many are not. Including holders of the Halifax Clarity credit card.

You just need to obtain better financial instruments. Metro Bank debit and credit cards top the list. Halifax Clarity too. N&P BS Gold account debit.

Will not accept Metro card using passport at yellow bank,maybe because its MasterCard ,Visa it will (Small yellow bank in Tesco north)

We struggled with this when we first got here too.

We didn’t know the name but eventually learned they understand it by “fast cash” or “cash advance”. They’ll try to sway you towards the ATMs, just tell them your card doesn’t work or something.

You can do it at:

Big C Extra, at the green bank outside (cash exchange stand--best experience here overall), the bank of bangkok/western union stand inside (hear it has bad rates though), or the green bank upstairs.

Central Festival - yellow bank on 4th floor.

Tesco Lotus, yellow bank upstairs. Sometimes they do it, sometimes they don’t. Depends on the person you ask.

Any luck for you yet?

Next time you withdraw check the rate the bank actually gives you for withdrawal.

Will not accept Metro card using passport at yellow bank,maybe because its MasterCard ,Visa it will (Small yellow bank in Tesco north)

I use an ultimate Reward Halifax. The charge I incur is the difference in rate.

Regardless of what card you have when you withdraw inThailand with visa you are withdrawing at the £ to baht rate issued by visa.