Get A Wp For A 4-Month Contract?

I just want some feedback about this. My local college wants me to teach Hotel &Hospitality subjects to their English Programme students. The monthly salary is low (28,000 baht), but the college is only 5 minutes from my home.

However, when I asked them if the contract length was 12 months or 10 months (ie no pay for the long holiday), they replied that they would pay me only for each term of work (4 months), and then make a new contract for the next term.

Putting aside my views on no pay out of term time, I think it would be difficult to obtain a WP for a 4-month contract, or the effort/cost required would then need to be repeated for each new contract each term.

What are your thoughts? As much as I would like to help them, I have to say that it sounds like they want all from me and little in return.

Simon

Many companies believe that if they issue you continual 4 month contracts one after the other then they will not be liable for severence pay after one year of work.

In reality if you have 12 months of tax records I believe the labour court will be on your side.

• Like 1

I assume you will ask the school to arrange for the WP, doing all the admin work and pay relevant costs. You might have some costs for verification of degree or similar from the embassy, but you can ask the school to reimburse you.

If they are prepared to do it, fine. If not, then it might look that great.

Many companies believe that if they issue you continual 4 month contracts one after the other then they will not be liable for severence pay after one year of work.

In reality if you have 12 months of tax records I believe the labour court will be on your side.

I agree with overherebc

I just had a similar experience, a school offered to employ me for ten months but the contract was for eight and a half months. Needless to say, I told them to they'd need to find some other sucker.

No pay for October as the director and head of Ingrish wanted to pocket the 76,000 baht that was left over from the fees the parents had paid for a native speaker.

Quite sad that this short term gains mentality isn't changing. Rip us (teachers and parents) off in the long run by upping the fees year by year by giving minimal pay rises, everyone would be quite content but it's not good enough for the greedy 845t4rds.