Thailand And Tourism. - The Future?

wilcopops

Are they going in the right direction.? Or is the country

soon going to accommodate only the lowest common denominator in tourism and
live up to its reputation as the brothel of the world?

It seems to me the Thailand has two main areas to sell to

foreign visitors -

1 -culture - history, food, temples Buddhism nature,

scenery, islands and beaches etc. etc.

Or

2 - pleasures of the flesh.

In my opinion the country is pursuing the latter over the
former and in the long run at least to it’s own detriment.

Its natural resources are under threat from all sides: -
encroaching unregulated development, industrial pollution, and urbanisation of
areas of natural beauty...all this means that Thailand in the future will have
less to offer.... except with the exception of sexual services. To this end the
industry is turning to import workers from its poorer neighbours as the
increasing wealth of the Thai population in general makes this sort of work
less attractive to the poorer native communities.

I'm sure the industry will continue to make big money but at whose or what expense?

So what do you think the future holds for tourism in Thailand in terms of attractions and facilities?

I think Thailand will increasingly become a transit destination with many travellers passing through Thailand on their way to neighboring countries. Although they might still spend a few days in Thailand on their way to/from countries such as Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam etc. Thailand will no longer be their primary destination although the TAT can still spin it in their favour by claiming that tourist arrivals are up despite tourists spending less time and money in the Kingdom than they used to.<br /><br />Another issue which Thailand needs to address is government mandated dual pricing at tourist sites. Thailand seems to charge more for foreigners at more attractions and many times higher for foreigners than locals compared to just about every other country in the region. Although Russians and Chinese on package tours may not notice this much now as their tours usually include entry fees to major attractions, in future as more of them travel independently it will leave a bad taste in their mouths as currently China does not charge foreigners more for visiting it's attractions (it abolished the practice back in 1996). Not sure about Russia but I'd imagine dual pricing is less common than in Thailand too. Of course keep in mind I am referring only to dual pricing at tourist attractions and other places where there is a set price difference for locals and foreigners - I am not referring to the street vendor that tries to extract an extra Baht out of a naive foreign tourist; such practices are common in most countries and have nothing to do with government policy indeed most governments understand that such practices make their country look bad but Thailand has for some reason never addressed the policy of dual pricing at tourist sites where it stings the most.

The baht needs to be drastically devalued, to make it an attractive destination, at current rates it is far too expensive compared to other locations.

Absolutely agreed. With the absolute mess this country is in, the current value of the baht makes zero sense.

My (fixed) income when changed into baht is now so low compared to only 5 years ago, that I am very seriously considering leaving. In fact, it is now cheaper for me to live in the USA than it is here.

Attraction no. 2 is the only one that makes sense. Living flesh always stays fresh, but all the other things in attraction no. 1 have already been ruined. The new TAT slogan could be the resoundingly honest "Thailand: Get Your End In."

This is only the tip of the iceberg , Thailand has big problems to address in the coming twelve months, there are three major problems that if allowed to develop will bring Thailand to it's knees , another coup, the return of Thaksin and the health of H. R. H., these three issues , may well have lasting effects on the country.coffee1.gif

The baht needs to be drastically devalued, to make it an attractive destination, at current rates it is far too expensive compared to other locations.

Absolutely agreed. With the absolute mess this country is in, the current value of the baht makes zero sense.

My (fixed) income when changed into baht is now so low compared to only 5 years ago, that I am very seriously considering leaving. In fact, it is now cheaper for me to live in the USA than it is here.

there are about 60 million people in Thailand and a growing economy - I don't think you will be missed.

• Like 2

i personally think you are a bunch of doom sayers.

thailand will adapt, with or without your support

OK - perhaps you'd like to say HOW and in which way it will adapt - after all that is what the OP is about.

...and after that you might try to say what you think a "doomsayer" is?

for a definition of doomsayer, look at the link. though i would have thought the term self explanatory.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&ie=UTF-8#safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&q=doomsayer%20definition&oq=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47244034,d.bmk&fp=b78087e8c7a5fce6&ion=1&biw=1777&bih=861&pf=p&pdl=300

as for the adaptation, i could not speculate as to what will happen, but thus far thailand has seemed to muddle through, and i suspect that trend will continue.

the people here are waking up to many stark realities, albeit slowly.

Thailand will not adapt, option number 2 will always be around but I believe this is a very small portion of tourism. The issue that will kill the rest of the tourism is the corruption. I was sitting at a starbucks on Sukhumvit RD yesterday and watched the police scam the tourist at about 2000 Bahht each. First it was a couple of middle eastern gentlemen walking down the street smoking then 2 young ladies from Hong Kong, not sure what they scammed them for. Not sure if these guys are even police as they do not carry weapons, but inbetween there scams they walk around the corner have a smoke then toss the butt on the ground when finished and ignore the locals as they only target farangs.

This is just one of many scams by the police or the locals against the farang tourist, we see articles about this weekly on this forum. Word of mouth when these tourist have these types of experiances will start having a ripple effect, thus the trend that less sweds are comign like another post this week. I am sure it is just not the sweds as I travel in and out of Thailand several times per month, the majority of the tourist coming here now are the Chinese and the Russians which will also be short term.

Call me a a doomsayer also but I have been taveling here for 15 years and they are only adapting for the worst, more scams, more murders, etc. etc.!

for a definition of doomsayer, look at the link. though i would have thought the term self explanatory.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&ie=UTF-8#safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&q=doomsayer%20definition&oq=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47244034,d.bmk&fp=b78087e8c7a5fce6&ion=1&biw=1777&bih=861&pf=p&pdl=300

as for the adaptation, i could not speculate as to what will happen, but thus far thailand has seemed to muddle through, and i suspect that trend will continue.

the people here are waking up to many stark realities, albeit slowly.

Then I have to say you haven't followed the thread or at least dob'y understand it.

Thailand will not adapt, option number 2 will always be around but I believe this is a very small portion of tourism. The issue that will kill the rest of the tourism is the corruption. I was sitting at a starbucks on Sukhumvit RD yesterday and watched the police scam the tourist at about 2000 Bahht each. First it was a couple of middle eastern gentlemen walking down the street smoking then 2 young ladies from Hong Kong, not sure what they scammed them for. Not sure if these guys are even police as they do not carry weapons, but inbetween there scams they walk around the corner have a smoke then toss the butt on the ground when finished and ignore the locals as they only target farangs.

This is just one of many scams by the police or the locals against the farang tourist, we see articles about this weekly on this forum. Word of mouth when these tourist have these types of experiances will start having a ripple effect, thus the trend that less sweds are comign like another post this week. I am sure it is just not the sweds as I travel in and out of Thailand several times per month, the majority of the tourist coming here now are the Chinese and the Russians which will also be short term.

Call me a a doomsayer also but I have been taveling here for 15 years and they are only adapting for the worst, more scams, more murders, etc. etc.!

I have lived here 33 years and I disagree. What we are getting now, which we didn't a short while ago is, and thanks to multi media, a 24 hour coverage of news that has happened or presumed to have happened. As their isn't enough real news to cover the 24 hours let's just exaggerate the pipettes that we can get. Pipettes that are jumped upon by TV posters (as well as others) and further exaggerated! Follow the world news and despite claims of more scams, more murders, etc. etc, Thailand is still a safer and more enjoyable place than many western countries. That point can be borne out by the number of moaners who still choose to live here, even if because of their chosen way of life, they only see the worst in the place!
  • Like 1

I have lived here 33 years and I disagree. What we are getting now, which we didn't a short while ago is, and thanks to multi media, a 24 hour coverage of news that has happened or presumed to have happened. As their isn't enough real news to cover the 24 hours let's just exaggerate the pipettes that we can get. Pipettes that are jumped upon by TV posters (as well as others) and further exaggerated! Follow the world news and despite claims of more scams, more murders, etc. etc, Thailand is still a safer and more enjoyable place than many western countries. That point can be borne out by the number of moaners who still choose to live here, even if because of their chosen way of life, they only see the worst in the place!

Well I agree with that, way to many people living here and complaining about the system, etc. I am not one of those, I love living here! I also agree it is a very safe country compared to other destinations, but the coruption will take its toll. I suppose it is just wishfull thinkining on my part to have less tourist or a better class of tourist!