Anti-Smoking Campaigners Vow To Turn Up Heat On Big Tobacco

webfact

Anti-smoking campaigners vow to turn up heat on big tobacco
Duangkamon Sajirawattanakul
The Nation

30207384-01_big.jpg?1370042393467

BANGKOK: -- Thirty anti-smoking agencies will soon submit a letter asking the government and Finance Ministry about measures to prohibit cigarette companies from taking part in Corporate social responsibility (CSR) activities, said Medical Council of Thailand head Dr Wanchat Supajaturas yesterday.

His comments were made on World No Tobacco Day (WNTD), during the launch of the World Health Organisation (WHO)'s campaigned "Ban Tobacco Advertising, Promotion and Sponsorship". The campaign is aimed at giving its 194-member countries a glimpse into the world of big tobacco and the various schemes it employs to indirectly market and promote cigarette and tobacco products.

Despite anti-smoking laws, the CSR activities of cigarette companies are viewed as the prime channel for cigarette companies to promote smoking in Thailand - among mainly younger generations.

Leading anti-tobacco activist Dr Prakit Vatheesatokit said that allowing cigarette companies to continue their CSR activities could lead to a misunderstanding among members of the public that cigarettes were not harmful and cigarette companies were genuinely concerned with people's health and well-being.

He went on to say that each year cigarette companies set aside large budgets for "indirect advertising". From 2009-2012 the Thai Tobacco Monopoly increased its budget for such activities from Bt155 million to Bt426 million, while Philip Morris Thailand lifted its budget from Bt5.5 million to Br12.6 million.

"We want the government and related agencies to proceed with measures prohibiting cigarette companies from carrying out CSR activities in accordance with the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control's article 13. We also want the government to prohibit state officials or agencies from attending such CRS activities as this could lead to conflicts of interest when implementing tobacco control policy. This matter was already approved by the Cabinet on April 17 last year for the Finance Ministry to proceed, but cigarette companies are still carrying out CSR activities," he said, adding that each year 50,000 Thais died from smoking-related causes.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-01

• Like 1

The irony is that the Thailand Tobacco Monopoly is government owned and a good earner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand_Tobacco_Monopoly

...and probably a 'good earner' for government officials. The Wikipedia article refers to US Court documents which in 2010 showed that three tobacco companies had paid US$1,238,750 in bribes to officials of the Thailand Tobacco Monopoly to secure sale prices:

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2010/August/10-crm-903.html

The irony is that the Thailand Tobacco Monopoly is government owned and a good earner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thailand_Tobacco_Monopoly

Ya...., I always chuckle when I hear the name "Thailand Tobacco Monopoly". Prudent anti-trust laws exist throughout the western world as well they should and for the right reasons. The Thai government has anti-trust laws in place, modeled largely on US anti-trust suits including ALCOA, DuPont and others. I have no knowledge on whether or how well they are enforced.

But to even allow any company, public or private, to carry a corporate name that includes the word "monopoly"....., w00t.gif

Why dont they start a petition to ban the Govt from sponsoring Corporate social responsibility (CSR) activities

It might allow a proper team of advertisers to do an efficient job of getting the message across to people. Blurring smoking scenes just aren't good enough.

I am a smoker, but I pity the feeble attempts and idiotic methods the Thai Govt. uses....

• Like 1

Was anything done about the kickbacks paid to TTM by American tobacco merchants. I do no remember anything being done. The below information if from a Google look up.

n August 2010, three major US tobacco merchants pleaded guilty to charges relating to the payment of bribes to officials of TTM. According to US court documents, from 2000 to 2004, subsidiaries of Dimon Inc., Standard Commercial Corp., and Universal Corp., sold Brazilian-grown tobacco to TTM. Each of the three companies retained sales agents in Thailand, and collaborated through those agents to apportion tobacco sales to TTM among themselves, coordinate their sales prices, and pay kickbacks to TTM officials in order to ensure that each company would share in the Thai tobacco market. To obtain these sales contracts, Dimon paid bribes to TTM officials totalling $542,590 and Standard paid bribes totalling $696,160, during the course of the four years. Universal admitted that its subsidiary in Brazil paid approximately $697,000 in kickbacks to TTM officials during the period.[9]

In May 2005 Dimon Inc. and Standard Commercial Corp. merged to form Alliance One International, a leading independent leaf tobacco merchant serving the world's largest cigarette manufacturers

In my opinion every government in the world should place a $10 per pack tax on cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, etc. I don't care if smokers kill themselves but I do care that they throw their butts and the empty packs on the ground. At least the government could make some substantial revenue.

In my opinion every government in the world should place a $10 per pack tax on cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, etc. I don't care if smokers kill themselves but I do care that they throw their butts and the empty packs on the ground. At least the government could make some substantial revenue.

Using your logic, after I've paid your proposed $10 tax per packet in Thailand, I guess I then become entitled to discard my cigarette butts on the road or footpath and I can freely dispose of my empty cigy pack in the Chao Phraya, because I've paid for the privilege?

• Like 1

Was anything done about the kickbacks paid to TTM by American tobacco merchants. I do no remember anything being done. The below information if from a Google look up.

n August 2010, three major US tobacco merchants pleaded guilty to charges relating to the payment of bribes to officials of TTM. According to US court documents, from 2000 to 2004, subsidiaries of Dimon Inc., Standard Commercial Corp., and Universal Corp., sold Brazilian-grown tobacco to TTM. Each of the three companies retained sales agents in Thailand, and collaborated through those agents to apportion tobacco sales to TTM among themselves, coordinate their sales prices, and pay kickbacks to TTM officials in order to ensure that each company would share in the Thai tobacco market. To obtain these sales contracts, Dimon paid bribes to TTM officials totalling $542,590 and Standard paid bribes totalling $696,160, during the course of the four years. Universal admitted that its subsidiary in Brazil paid approximately $697,000 in kickbacks to TTM officials during the period.[9]

In May 2005 Dimon Inc. and Standard Commercial Corp. merged to form Alliance One International, a leading independent leaf tobacco merchant serving the world's largest cigarette manufacturers

They changed the management board, and don't import much tobacco recently.

Using your logic, after I've paid your proposed $10 tax per packet in Thailand, I guess I then become entitled to discard my cigarette butts on the road or footpath and I can freely dispose of my empty cigy pack in the Chao Phraya, because I've paid for the privilege?

Ask the BIB"s. They know.

Only if you are trying to make a leap and connect the two thoughts. But as cigarette smokers already dump their butts and empty packs you could also make a leap in logic and say they already think they have the right.

The cigarette companies shouldn't be allowed to hide behind SCR activities.

Smoke 'em out I say.

Yeah. Well, I'm extremely heartened to see since my last visit that all the more important problems in Thailand - poverty, flooding, corruption, people-trafficking, hypocrisy, crime, methamphetamine, opium etc have been solved so there's time to pay attention to stuff like this.

How about if the thai govt. starts enforcing the no smoking laws on Koh Samui, where anyone can smoke freely? Any restaurant or bar. Zero protection to guests and non smoking patrons. Lets get real, and focus on stuff that matters, rather than engaging in constant hyperbole.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

How about if the thai govt. starts enforcing the no smoking laws on Koh Samui, where anyone can smoke freely? Any restaurant or bar. Zero protection to guests and non smoking patrons. Lets get real, and focus on stuff that matters, rather than engaging in constant hyperbole.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's some deep and subtle irony there.