Is General Smoking Allowed By Monks?

watcharacters

Yep. Its a nasty addiction. But it does not affect my meditation

I know pranayama from ashtangar yoga training and Patangali, have used it for years.

Anapanasati I know from Mahasatipatthana sutta and Mahasi Sayadaw system, though Mahasi concentrates on the abdomen he talks a lot about mindfulness and breathing.

I have read Buddhadassa and I agree with some of what he says. However his drive to attract followers from the west meant he sacrificed some of the teaching for scientific reasoning. What he preached sounds reasonable, but not insightful.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi S

Steinhan says:

As Several says: Anapanasati has nothing to do with pranayama in the normal meaning of that word. They are more like direct opposites. Anapanasati - and particularly steps 1 and 2 are about being mindful about the breath at it is - and just that.

pranayama is strict regimen of breath control: breathe in exactly this many seconds, hold your breath this many seconds, breathe out this many seconds, keep breath out this many seconds a.s.o

Why does your own source disagree with you?

quote:

We must learn how to observe in more detail, that is, to observe the reaction or influence of the different kinds of breathing.

What reactions do they cause, how do they influence our awareness?

How uncomfortable breaths differ .

We must know the variations in the reactions to and influences of these various properties of the breath, of these qualities that influence our awareness, our sensitivity, our mind.

It even teaches how to facilitate control of the breathe:

quote:

There is a way for us to regulate the breath in these beginning steps in order to make it longer or shorter.

We can lengthen or shorten them using this special training technique.

We do not have to use it all the time. It is just a little experiment we can use from time to time in order to regulate the breath or to get to know it better.

A cursory view of your source doesn't deviate in any from what I was saying other than it is far more detailed and explicit. You must understand that I wasn't attempting to teach anapanasiti in its entirety.

The Sanskrit meaning of Pranayama = extension of the breath. no more no less, which fits in completely with investigation of breath in anapanasiti.

Perhaps too much intellectualising? I prefer the following translation of Pranayama.

Expansion of individual energy into cosmic energy is called prāṇāyāma (prāṇa, energy + ayām, expansion" and

The higher teachings of yog take one beyond techniques and show the yogi or yog practitioner how to direct his concentration in such a way as not only to harmonize human with divine consciousness, but to merge his consciousness in the Infinite. – Paramahansa Yogananda

Yep. Its a nasty addiction. But it does not affect my meditation

I know pranayama from ashtangar yoga training and Patangali, have used it for years.

Anapanasati I know from Mahasatipatthana sutta and Mahasi Sayadaw system, though Mahasi concentrates on the abdomen he talks a lot about mindfulness and breathing.

I have read Buddhadassa and I agree with some of what he says. However his drive to attract followers from the west meant he sacrificed some of the teaching for scientific reasoning. What he preached sounds reasonable, but not insightful.

So it can be safe to say, there is a teaching called "Pranayama" as there is the teaching "Yoga", and there is the word "Pranayama" as I used, meaning to extend ones breath.

Yes, Ajahn Buddhadasa was controversial.

A major area involved teaching that "Re Birth" is a moment to moment occurrence and nothing to do with many lives.

What teaching did he sacrifice?

Prana translates as breath or energy. Many ancient cultures had only one word for respiration and life-force. In Sumerian mythology Marduk slays Tiamat with an arrow, but the same word may translate as arrow, breath, spirit or word. Pranayama could be understood as 'extension of breath' or as 'expansion of life-force'. Where today we make a distinction historically people did not and saw breath and energy as the same thing.

One example where Buddhadassa is wrong is that thousands of people are born with distinct and verifiable memory of a previous life. Rebirth is obviously moment to moment and life to life. Buddha himself talks frequently about it specifically in relation to multiple lives. Now I'm in favour of Occams Razor provided we don't throw the baby out with the bath water, which is what happens when one begins with a hypothesis then sets about substantiating it with selected evidence. It is wiser to investigate an idea and hypothesise after, based on balanced evidence, provided you are willing to admit you could be wrong. Again, as Buddha said, don't just believe things because they sound convincing or because many people are saying it. Investigate the truth of it for yourself.

I'll word things in order to ensure we remain on topic.

The eightfold path is about diminishing the l, me, self, ego.

Addiction increases or maintains the l, me, self, ego.

In terms of diminishing the l, me, self, ego, attachment to the concept of a constant (soul) populating/migrating to many lives challenges Anatta, and Anicca.

Which will you throw out, the core teaching (Noble Truths & Anatta, and Anicca) or Cosmology aligning with Brahmanism and other religions of the time?

If you review conflicting writings attributed to the Buddha you should study and refer to the very earliest core literature (The Four Noble Truths and Eightfold Path).

Much work which came later was not the direct word of the Buddha but conveyed by Monks who carried his teaching. This is where a main ingredient of your source of belief becomes tenuous.

A monk, delayed during his long trek to attend a gathering of the Council in order to clarify Dharma arrived shortly after it had been concluded. After being told of the outcome he protested: "l was at the Tagathas side when he spoke on this matter and it is not what the Council has declared".

Further, one cannot invoke the Buddhas invitation to test it, short of Awakening and/or death. On the other hand it is possible to experience Anatta, and Anicca through practice in this life.

I travel with an open mind neither being fixed one way or the other.

To attach either way is to become rigid and controlling of ones behavior.

Edited by rockyysdt

I have seen plenty of Monks smoking,and I don't have a strong opinion as to the rights or wrongs. It could be worse. If? that's their worst vice then not much to complain about.

This is a good reference attributed to the Buddha.

Kusala Sutta (Anguttara Nikaya 2.19):

“Abandon what is unskillful, monks. It is possible to abandon what is unskillful. If it were not possible to abandon what is unskillful, I would not say to you, ‘Abandon what is unskillful.’ But because it is possible to abandon what is unskillful, I say to you, ‘Abandon what is unskillful.’ If this abandoning of what is unskillful were conducive to harm and pain, I would not say to you, ‘Abandon what is unskillful.’ But because this abandoning of what is unskillful is conducive to benefit and pleasure, I say to you, ‘Abandon what is unskillful.’

“Develop what is skillful, monks. It is possible to develop what is skillful. If it were not possible to develop what is skillful, I would not say to you, ‘Develop what is skillful.’ But because it is possible to develop what is skillful, I say to you, ‘Develop what is skillful.’ If this development of what is skillful were conducive to harm and pain, I would not say to you, ‘Develop what is skillful.’ But because this development of what is skillful is conducive to benefit and pleasure, I say to you, ‘Develop what is skillful.’”

In terms of diminishing the l, me, self, ego, attachment to the concept of a constant (soul) populating/migrating to many lives challenges Anatta, and Anicca.

Which will you throw out, the core teaching (Noble Truths & Anatta, and Anicca) or Cosmology aligning with Brahmanism and other religions of the time?

If you review conflicting writings attributed to the Buddha you should study and refer to the very earliest core literature (The Four Noble Truths and Eightfold Path).

Much work which came later was not the direct word of the Buddha but conveyed by Monks who carried his teaching. This is where a main ingredient of your source of belief becomes tenuous.

A monk, delayed during his long trek to attend a gathering of the Council in order to clarify Dharma arrived shortly after it had been concluded. After being told of the outcome he protested:  "l was at the Tagathas side when he spoke on this matter and it is not what the Council has declared".

Further, one cannot invoke the Buddhas invitation to test it, short of Awakening and/or death. On the other hand it is possible to experience Anatta, and Anicca through practice in this life.

Ahem. When ego is gone who is maintaining right thought, speech, action etc?

It is attachment, not addiction, maintainging the elusive 'I'.

There is nothing that can be found of an eternal element, who is the one seeking it and finding nothing?

Nothing need be thrown out. If from one perspective things seem contradictory, change perspective.

Knowing that things may not be as declared does not mean they contain no truth. Belief in rigorous investigation is not misplaced. Assumption of what another believes is.

A monk, who never existed, never arrived at a council, said nothing and is often quoted.

Evidence ignored undermines any theory. Stating a thing cannot be investigated is admitting to not trying hard enough.

Nothing you said related to the original topic.

I travel with foucsed mind being fixed or fluid as required. With luck 'I' will vanish in a puff of smoke one day.

A monk, delayed during his long trek to attend a gathering of the Council in order to clarify Dharma arrived shortly after it had been concluded. After being told of the outcome he protested: "l was at the Tagathas side when he spoke on this matter and it is not what the Council has declared".

Ahem. When ego is gone who is maintaining right thought, speech, action etc?

It is attachment, not addiction, maintainging the elusive 'I'.

There is nothing that can be found of an eternal element, who is the one seeking it and finding nothing?

Nothing need be thrown out. If from one perspective things seem contradictory, change perspective.

Knowing that things may not be as declared does not mean they contain no truth. Belief in rigorous investigation is not misplaced. Assumption of what another believes is.

A monk, who never existed, never arrived at a council, said nothing and is often quoted.

Evidence ignored undermines any theory. Stating a thing cannot be investigated is admitting to not trying hard enough.

Nothing you said related to the original topic.

I travel with foucsed mind being fixed or fluid as required. With luck 'I' will vanish in a puff of smoke one day.

I did say earlier that if we look at the same thing, each of us will see something different.

Apart from another's testimony (memory of former lives) how does one access the metaphysical (if it exists) short of Awakening, if this is a way, in order to gain personal experience of what is?

Equally things may be exactly as indicated (Anatta, and Anicca) with no riddles or hidden meanings.

Both Anatta, and Anicca are bedrock teachings of the Buddha.

Any arguments/discussion around Re Birth has been an attempt at appeasement but I haven't seen anything which can overcome this issue, other than belief.

One thing for sure.

If the Buddhas practice results in Awakening in this life only, and Re Birth is strictly moment to moment, those whose ego is soothed by immortality would quickly abandon their path.

Survival is the most powerful human instinct.

This revolves around Ego which is the most difficult thing for one to diminish.

Isnt attachment to either way rigid whilst keeping an open mind the middle way?

Edited by rockyysdt

Why not anatta, anicca and rebirth? Why are you so certain the only possible alternative is immortality? Why is it you are apparently even more against belief that smoking? And what makes you think that if you are not aware of something, it does not exist?

It has been established that there have been presumed arahants who smoked.

Presumably they were smoking en route to arahantship.

Therefore we can conclude that smoking does not necessarily impede one's progress on the path.

Smoking, like any other physical or mental activity, is a potential opportunity for the arising of sati.

Coincidentally I came across this news item yesterday.

Now, an app called Craving to Quit on iOS to help you quit smoking
Saturday, Jun 15, 2013, 14:35 IST | Place: NEW YORK | Agency: ANI
Mindfulness, a technique rooted in Buddhism and other traditions, proved effective in a smoking-cessation study Brewer conducted in 2009.
A new app has been created that could help smokers kick the bud.
Craving to Quit, an app for iPad or iPhone, was developed by goBlue Labs, based at 5 Science Park, which was founded by Dr. Judson Brewer, medical director of the Yale Therapeutic Neuroscience Clinic, the New York Daily News reported.
Mindfulness, a technique rooted in Buddhism and other traditions, proved effective in a smoking-cessation study Brewer conducted in 2009.
In Brewer’s four-week study, 88 smokers with an average age of 46, smoking a pack a day, used either mindfulness training or the American Lung Association’s Freedom From Smoking program.
At the end of treatment, 36% of the group that learned mindfulness training had quit versus 15 percent using <deleted>.
After 17 weeks, the success rate was 31% vs. 6 %.
The results are published online in the journal Drug and Alcohol Dependence.

Why not anatta, anicca and rebirth? Why are you so certain the only possible alternative is immortality? Why is it you are apparently even more against belief that smoking? And what makes you think that if you are not aware of something, it does not exist?

Because Anatta & Anicca are part of the foundation of the Four Noble Truths and universally documented.

Also Anatta & Anicca do not require future lives nor full Enlightenment to experience for oneself.

I'm not against belief other than to say belief need not be fact.

It is not important whether l am for or against smoking.

More importantly, "Smoking is an unskillful act & the Buddha taught Bikkhu's to abandon unskillful acts".

In terms of things which I am not aware of, I indicated earlier that the middle path was the way.

In this case the middle path means to stick to what is known (physical), practice the eightfold path, and keep an open mind allowing what unfolds to be, rather than believing (fixed) what my Ego may wish.

Edited by rockyysdt

It has been established that there have been presumed arahants who smoked.

Presumably they were smoking en route to arahantship.

Therefore we can conclude that smoking does not necessarily impede one's progress on the path.

Smoking, like any other physical or mental activity, is a potential opportunity for the arising of sati.

Coincidentally I came across this news item yesterday.

Now, an app called Craving to Quit on iOS to help you quit smoking
Saturday, Jun 15, 2013, 14:35 IST | Place: NEW YORK | Agency: ANI
A new app has been created that could help smokers kick the bud.
Craving to Quit, an app for iPad or iPhone, was developed by goBlue Labs, based at 5 Science Park, which was founded by Dr. Judson Brewer, medical director of the Yale Therapeutic Neuroscience Clinic, the New York Daily News reported.
In Brewer’s four-week study, 88 smokers with an average age of 46, smoking a pack a day, used either mindfulness training or the American Lung Association’s Freedom From Smoking program.
At the end of treatment, 36% of the group that learned mindfulness training had quit versus 15 percent using <deleted>.
After 17 weeks, the success rate was 31% vs. 6 %.
The results are published online in the journal Drug and Alcohol Dependence.

Excellent information SJ.

A study encompassing Monk smokers in the forest tradition using Brewers initiative could result in even higher quit success rates, given that their core role is to practice.

Edited by rockyysdt

i saw a wife go to the temple and take food to her husband who a monk for 4 years..

he came out and is leading a married life with her..just like nothing happened

this post looks like a question so I'll answer it...

In Theravada Buddhism a monk or nun are not ordained for life, unlike several Christian priests and monks. So they can ordain and disrobe several times in their lives.

I myself was ordained for two years....I didn't have to divorce my wife to do so....and now continue to live at home with my family.

The Buddha himself had a wife and child...he never returned to the home life...but later ordained both of them.

Because Anatta & Anicca are part of the foundation of the Four Noble Truths and universally documented.

Also Anatta & Anicca do not require future lives nor full Enlightenment to experience for oneself.

I'm not against belief other than to say belief need not be fact.

It is not important whether l am for or against smoking.

More importantly, "Smoking is an unskillful act & the Buddha taught Bikkhu's to abandon unskillful acts".

In terms of things which I am not aware of, I indicated earlier that the middle path was the way.

In this case the middle path means to stick to what is known (physical), practice the eightfold path, and keep an open mind allowing what unfolds to be, rather than believing (fixed) what my Ego may wish.

Yep. They do not require it and may not preclude it either. I agree that reincarnation is dubious, but that rebirth is possible. Does not matter if it requires full enlightenment to understand.

Belief is never fact. Even when it turns out to be true it was still only a belief up to that point.

Many acts are unskillful, including perception. Abandoning things can take time and immediately abadoning habits can increase ego. Many ex smokers and drinkers become the most vocal opponents of their previous addictions. Arrogance abounds.

The physical is mostly still unknown. Belief and ego lurk in unexpected places.

I agree that reincarnation is dubious, but that rebirth is possible. Does not matter if it requires full enlightenment to understand.

Abandoning things can take time and immediately abadoning habits can increase ego. Many ex smokers and drinkers become the most vocal opponents of their previous addictions. Arrogance abounds.

It does matter if full enlightenment is required to understand Re Birth as most of us (99.999% +) will never attain this state in our lifetime and so virtually have zero opportunity to investigate and learn through self experience.

It also is of no consequence to us if Re Birth involves a lineage of lives or not.

This is because, apart from being fashioned by the current life, nothing permanent or unconditioned carries on. What is Re Born is not you unless you believe in reincarnation.

It appears the distinction between Reincarnation & Re Birth was fashioned in order to appease Anatta & Anicca, but fails as You do not pass through. What is Re Born is not you.

Abandoning habits/addictions can initially increase Ego.

If ones practice revolves around being in the present then when is a good time to give up?

We can only give up in the present, not in the future or past.

What one may experience now (giving up) must be faced sometime.

Postponing that (unskillful act) which must be faced maintains attachment.

Two levels, physical and the more powerful psychological.

One who practices samadhi is in the perfect position to investigate, view head on and refrain from attaching to thoughts and feelings until they pass.

Thoughts of: I need to attend to major concerns and am not equipped to add to my list at this time.

There will always be something.

This reasoning must be viewed head on, investigated and allowed to drift away.

Edited by rockyysdt

It's about time to remind people of the following:

It should therefore be our aim, meditating on these Truths, to be able to see in ourselves, in the everyday affairs of our lives, in every event and circumstance connected with ourselves, an exemplification of these Four Noble Truths until they become a definite living experience—a spiritual experience which is quite different from a theoretical understanding of these Truths.

It's about time to remind people of the following:

It should therefore be our aim, meditating on these Truths, to be able to see in ourselves, in the everyday affairs of our lives, in every event and circumstance connected with ourselves, an exemplification of these Four Noble Truths until they become a definite living experience—a spiritual experience which is quite different from a theoretical understanding of these Truths.

Most definitely S.

This thread is about ensuring we have the right tools and conditions to facilitate such practice.

I agree that reincarnation is dubious, but that rebirth is possible. Does not matter if it requires full enlightenment to understand.

Abandoning things can take time and immediately abadoning habits can increase ego. Many ex smokers and drinkers become the most vocal opponents of their previous addictions. Arrogance abounds.

It does matter if full enlightenment is required to understand Re Birth as most of us (99.999% +) will never attain this state in our lifetime and so virtually have zero opportunity to investigate and learn through self experience.

It also is of no consequence to us if Re Birth involves a lineage of lives or not.

This is because, apart from being fashioned by the current life, nothing permanent or unconditioned carries on. What is Re Born is not you unless you believe in reincarnation.

It appears the distinction between Reincarnation & Re Birth was fashioned in order to appease Anatta & Anicca, but fails as You do not pass through. What is Re Born is not you.

If ones practice revolves around being in the present then when is a good time to give up?

What one may experience now (giving up) must be  faced sometime.

One who practices samadhi is in the perfect position to investigate, view head on and refrain from attaching to thoughts and feelings until they pass.

Thoughts of:  I need to attend to major concerns and am not equipped to add to my list at this time.

This reasoning must be viewed head on, investigated and allowed to drift away.

A slim chance is still a possibility. I'm not abandoning any possibilities simply because of rationalisations and statistical probabilities. If you lived your life this way you'd never leave the house.

If you do not know the nature of a thing then you have no idea of its possible consequence. Also, having said that only an enlightened one can know the truth of rebirth you go on to make absolute statements about it.

You then assume that quitting is immediate and ignore the gradual reduction of intake. Many addictions are dealt with in this way, or with a replacement such as methodone for herion users.

The world is not so black and white, right and wrong are simply perspectives, logical conclusions are surrogates for direct experience, there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamed of in any philosophy.

• Like 1

What one may experience now (giving up) must be faced sometime.

Thoughts of: I need to attend to major concerns and am not equipped to add to my list at this time.

This reasoning must be viewed head on, investigated and allowed to drift away.A slim chance is still a possibility. I'm not abandoning any possibilities simply because of rationalisations and statistical probabilities. If you lived your life this way you'd never leave the house.

If you do not know the nature of a thing then you have no idea of its possible consequence. Also, having said that only an enlightened one can know the truth of rebirth you go on to make absolute statements about it.

You then assume that quitting is immediate and ignore the gradual reduction of intake. Many addictions are dealt with in this way, or with a replacement such as methodone for herion users.

The world is not so black and white, right and wrong are simply perspectives, logical conclusions are surrogates for direct experience, there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamed of in any philosophy.

Yes there is a chance but placing your bet on it will not yield results.

Better not to bet.

This is true.

We don't even know if Buddhism itself is valid.

Could turn out to be a life waster.

Is there someone here who disputes Anicca & Anatta?

No quitting is not immediate and there are many ways to tackle it.

Sitting on it is not one.

You are in the box seat to explore the Mindfulness/Self Awareness technique as this is one of your core practices.

The teaching is to observe thoughts without attachment.

Observe feelings without attachment.

These thoughts and feelings will not kill you.

With your practice, now over many months, you have the technique covered.

View your thoughts and feelings as clouds.

Soon they will drift away.

Up to you.

I would view this addiction as a gift.

If you can face it head on with bare attention without reaction and brake the shackles, this will deepen your Mindfulness/Awareness.

It is all about how you perceive things.

Beware of the mind which tricks you.

Do not minimize nor refrain from not acknowledging your situation.

Cherish this gift.

It has the power to transform you.

Edited by rockyysdt

I think the problem here is that you underestimate me. Just as one example replace 'over many months' with 'over two-thirds of a life so far.'

I admire your tenacity though. Big love, brother.

I've been pitching for you Sev.

I have full confidence in you.

• Like 1