Former Australian Of The Year Mandawuy Yunupingu Dies Aged 56

David48

Former Yothu Yindi frontman and Australian of the Year

Mandawuy Yunupingu dies aged 56

4728654-3x2-700x467.jpg

Former Yothu Yindi lead singer Mandawuy Yunupingu has died overnight at his home in the Northern Territory. The former 1992 Australian of the Year was 56. He died at his home in Yirrkala in Eastern Arnhem Land.

Yunupingu had been fighting kidney disease for several years.

He co-founded Yothu Yindi in 1986 and was the band's lead singer and most prominent personality.

Universally he was regarded a leading light and mutually respected by many in Australia ... including myself.

HERE

I checked the World News Forum and wasn't an item there, and nor do I expect in the near future.

For those Aussies who may vaguely remember his name, they maybe more familiar with his music ...

For those who question the post, it's as relevant as the Door's Drummer who died recently.

This man was a musical talent, an Australian of the Year and a strong positive focus to the often strained relationship between the Indigenous and Western Cultures.

Thanks for sharing that sad news Dave.....he was a great inspiration for our "Real" Australians.

Not only did he produce great music....he was just a good bloke.

We cannot say his name anymore......may his spirit continue to make beautiful music.

Cheers.

• Like 1