Songkhla Woman Burned, Seriously Injured By Her Husband

webfact

Songkhla Woman Burned, Seriously Injured By Her Husband

SONGKHLA: -- A man dowsed his wife with gasoline and set her on fire in Songkhla province, reportedly because he feared she was cheating on him.

Police received report about the incident around 08.00. Ms. Chutima Tongkrai, 37, was admitted to Buengkarn Hospital with severe burns throughout her body, from her face down to her waist, while her arms and legs were also burned. Doctors at the hospital said she suffered 60% burn of her body and is now monitored closely in the ICU.

Later, her husband, Mr. Jirawat Kaewsuk, 53, arrived at the hospital to treat his burned wounds, and the police apprehended him. Mr. Jirawat told police at the police station that he had been married to Ms. Chutima for 12 years. They had 2 children together, one aged 6 and the other aged 1.

Mr. Jirawat said in the past year they had argued with each other a lot. 10 days ago, he said, they had big fights and Ms. Chutima left him. Mr. Jirawat said he eventually caught up with her at her relative′s house but she refused to go back to him. Ms. Chutima also reportedly asked Mr. Jirawat for a divorce.

Full story: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM01ESTJNRFkyTXc9PQ

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-06-04

with 60% burn, she will never look the same again...

now, how are the kids going to grow up knowing that the father put their mother in fire alive? what society is this? must be animal...

• Like 1

From Songkhla, curious as to what religion given a certain religion prominent down that way has quite particular views on the rights of women and how they should be treated for "disobedience and disrespect" of their husband. Divorce and indiscretion are simply not tolerated.

http://www.answering-islam.org/Authors/Wood/women.htm

Edited by RigPig

From Songkhla, curious as to what religion given a certain religion prominent down that way has quite particular views on the rights of women and how they should be treated for "disobedience and disrespect" of their husband. Divorce and indiscretion are simply not tolerated.

http://www.answering-islam.org/Authors/Wood/women.htm

Your URL points to practices in Arab Muslim countries. Here in Thailand my Thai Muslim wife and her niece have both divorced Muslim husbands & remarried without any issues. I also know Muslim women outside of the immediate family who have divorced their Muslim husbands.

It is usual cultural practice to ask their Imam for permission for divorce based upon unhappiness with their husband e.g. violence, not supporting them, another women and so on. I do not know of one instance in 17 years of knowing the local community where permission had not been granted.

• Like 1

So just to clarify things a bit......

You converted to Islam to marry your wife?

She had to consult the Imam and get permission to divorce when a man only has to say "I divorce you" 3 times and it is done?

Your wife had reasons such as "violence, not supporting them, another women and so on."?

The majority of violence carried on "down South" is by Buddhists not Muslims?

The Qua-ran doesn't apply to Muslims in Thailand?

Do you REALLY think this mentality does not exist here?

One of the girls I had working for me when I had my coffee shop fell in love with a Thai Muslim guy, he got her pregnant, blacked her eye and she left him. Ruined the life of a beautiful intelligent young girl with a future.

Another link a bit closer to home:

http://www.thailand-lawyer.com/thailand-divorce-attorney/divorce-by-text-message-fuels-protest-in-indonesia/

and another example of the mentality involved:

http://www.answering-islam.org/authors/roark/honor_killings.html

and (NOTE THE THIRD PARAGRAPH)

http://atheistfoundation.org.au/article/islam-and-womens-rights/

Anyway getting a bit off track, was this guy a Muslim? Does anyone know, I am curious

Interesting how 2 things spring immediately to the forefront here from some of our members; violence against women is a Thai thing (err think again) and violence against women is a Muslim thing (err better think again on that one too).

Violence against women occurs in every single country in the world. Suggest for those who fail to grasp how pervasive and damaging this is, a little reading is in order.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs239/en/

I agree it not specifically confined to religion, however what is the balance?

I asked the question because of the line "Mr. Jirawat said he eventually caught up with her at her relative′s house but she refused to go back to him. Ms. Chutima also reportedly asked Mr. Jirawat for a divorce."

I know of no other culture where this is acceptable or condones this view. The area involved is predominantly Muslim.

So I come back to my original question, was the man involved Muslim or Buddhist?

I know of no other culture where this is acceptable or condones this view. The area involved is predominantly Muslim.

So I come back to my original question, was the man involved Muslim or Buddhist?

Songkhla is not predominantly Muslim at all (it is mostly Buddhist); you are getting mixed up with the three 'southern' provinces which most on here tend to do. Muslim or Buddhist, however, pathetic weak men of both 'followings' do this type of thing all the time.

• Like 1

So just to clarify things a bit......

You converted to Islam to marry your wife?
She had to consult the Imam and get permission to divorce when a man only has to say "I divorce you" 3 times and it is done?
Your wife had reasons such as "violence, not supporting them, another women and so on."?
The majority of violence carried on "down South" is by Buddhists not Muslims?
The Qua-ran doesn't apply to Muslims in Thailand?
Do you REALLY think this mentality does not exist here?

One of the girls I had working for me when I had my coffee shop fell in love with a Thai Muslim guy, he got her pregnant, blacked her eye and she left him. Ruined the life of a beautiful intelligent young girl with a future.

Another link a bit closer to home:

http://www.thailand-lawyer.com/thailand-divorce-attorney/divorce-by-text-message-fuels-protest-in-indonesia/

and another example of the mentality involved:

http://www.answering-islam.org/authors/roark/honor_killings.html

and (NOTE THE THIRD PARAGRAPH)

http://atheistfoundation.org.au/article/islam-and-womens-rights/

Anyway getting a bit off track, was this guy a Muslim? Does anyone know, I am curious

quote name="RigPig" post="6472598" timestamp="1370333377"]

Interesting how 2 things spring immediately to the forefront here from some of our members; violence against women is a Thai thing (err think again) and violence against women is a Muslim thing (err better think again on that one too).

Violence against women occurs in every single country in the world. Suggest for those who fail to grasp how pervasive and damaging this is, a little reading is in order.

I agree it not specifically confined to religion, however what is the balance?

I asked the question because of the line "Mr. Jirawat said he eventually caught up with her at her relative′s house but she refused to go back to him. Ms. Chutima also reportedly asked Mr. Jirawat for a divorce."

Unless their is a report in the Thai media that it was a Thai Malay Muslim cannot answer as the reported names could be Thai Buddhist or Muslim. Many Muslims in Thailand have Buddhist names for ID, but the Thai ID card documents the religion of the holder. In the Thai Muslim community that I know, if the man refuses to divorce at the request of the female, she can go to the Imam who would then instruct the man to divorce as she no longer wishes to be his wife; cannot stay married against her specific request.

Plenty of Thai Buddhist men who abuse their GF/wife through violence, do a runner when partner is pregent, dont know why you only point out an abusive Muslim male

Edited by simple1

Where as of course violence against women is not a Thai thing, Thais do seem to have a knack for crazy ars*d overreactions. Don't recall ever seeing an article in A British newspaper about a man setting fire to the mother of his kids for MAYBE cheating...... Someone can google it and prove me wrong, I can't be bothered.

Very few people realize how terrible this is up close.

I flew to China a few years back to help a young girl who had been attacked with acid

it was one of the most heart breaking experiences of my life. You can see how much I had been crying mid way into the video.

Songkhla is not predominantly Muslim at all (it is mostly Buddhist); you are getting mixed up with the three 'southern' provinces which most on here tend to do. Muslim or Buddhist, however, pathetic weak men of both 'followings' do this type of thing all the time.

Try this.....

Quote:

"Songkhla is not predominantly Muslim at all (it is mostly Buddhist); you are getting mixed up with the three 'southern' provinces which most on here tend to do. Muslim or Buddhist, however, pathetic weak men of both 'followings' do this type of thing all the time."

"In Yala, Narathiwat, Pattani and Songkhla provinces, Islamic law is allowed for settling family and inheritance issues under a 1946 law.[102]"

From : … http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_of_sharia_by_country#Asia-Pacific

Also for those who are interested in statistics :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Thailand

Gee all I did was ask a simple question, and now find myself justifying the reasons why, personally I think the reasons are obvious and valid.

Also Jeremy try this..... is there a pattern here?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1356503/Muslim-convert-wife-murdered-2-children-monster-killed-himself.html

lock him up for a long, long, loooong time, doesn't matter what country, religion, culture or whatever else, there is no excuse for his behaviour, and the wife's relative who wispered to him that his wife had already found another man also needs to be held to account for inciting the incident.

EXACTLY Jim

I find this kind of thing absolutely abhorrent, the *** tried to maim her by disfiguring her face, but because she fought back the rest of her got scarred and the idiot burned himself (small justice) by accident and got arrested. These kinds of "honour killings" just get my goat up and unfortunately it seems to be predominant with this belief (I don't see it as a religion). I believe I am fairly open minded and don't really care what anyone believes, but it should be equal to everyone (freedom of religious belief). I have lived / worked in places like Algeria, Libya UAE and more. How many Catholic churches are there in down town Tripoli? (No I am not Catholic). When you see things like the attached photo you can't help but feel for the plight of women in this world.

Seems I unintentionally hijacked the post, I was genuinely just curious as to weather it was just a Thai gone crazy or because of religious belief. My apologies to everyone, including Simple1.

Edited by sbk

P.S. my eldest son was burned badly from stupidity when he was young, and I have nothing but respect for him as he has gone above and beyond and handled every crisis in his life, including the burns. He is happily married and is on the way to starting a family of his own. But is wasn't easy.

It will be even more difficult for this poor women !!!!

now, how are the kids going to grow up knowing that the father put their mother in fire alive? what society is this? must be animal...

Stop saying such ridiculous things. These kinds of things happen all over the world. They do not happen in your own country? The things that happen in the US are worse than this. What about India. Of course, this is a heinous act, and hopefully this pig will end up in prison, and will become the "girlfriend" or some smelly, fat prisoner. But, to say this is a thai thing is small minded, and just plain silly, and very rude to your hosts.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by sbk

Ok posts attacking another member have been deleted.

This is not about another member's life or who he chooses to marry and if I find abusive PMs are being sent then suspensions will be issued.

And just as an FYI for those of you who obviously know very little of Thai culture, Kaewsuk is NOT a Muslim name. And Google IS your friend, if you so desired you could actually research before making broad based claims based only on assumption instead of actual FACT.

So drop the anti Muslim BS, drop the anti Thai BS and stop attacking other members solely because you don't like what they have to say.

• Like 1

Stop saying such ridiculous things. These kinds of things happen all over the world. They do not happen in your own country? The things that happen in the US are worse than this. What about India. Of course, this is a heinous act, and hopefully this pig will end up in prison, and will become the "girlfriend" or some smelly, fat prisoner. But, to say this is a thai thing is small minded, and just plain silly, and very rude to your hosts.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Maybe I am not as enlightened as you are...but where is the previous poster actually claiming all the things that you accuse him off?

And by the way: it is a thing that happened in Thailand, concerning 2 Thai- people and discussed on Thai Visa.

Why is there always this urge to say :"Oh yeah...but it happens in Burkina Faso, too!"

Who gives a sh1t, where on this world things are also happening!?

Go onto the World News -section and comment on anything there "Oh yeah...but it also happens in Thailand..."???

• Like 1

P.S. my eldest son was burned badly from stupidity when he was young, and I have nothing but respect for him as he has gone above and beyond and handled every crisis in his life, including the burns. He is happily married and is on the way to starting a family of his own. But is wasn't easy.

It will be even more difficult for this poor women !!!!

If stupidity burned, we'd have a much better government