Oil Spill "virgin Coast" Koh Samui

This is how it looked in Ban Taling Ngam this morning ... a black sea and a black beach! The oil smell is horrible and the first two meters into the sea is pitch black!

I am no expert, but does not look like oil from a tanker or rig. It seems too thin.

Those were my thoughts too. Looks more like 'old' engineering/sump oil?

Still pretty horrible though. sick.gif

Edited by Tropicalevo

I'm on Taling Ngam beach right now and there is no oil anywhere to be seen.

Where exactly on Taling Ngam beach was this filmed?

I'm on the beach outside of Intercontinental and the water is clear and the beach is clean.

It's getting worse ...

@Muitmatt: It's on the beach a few hundred meters south from Intercontinental. Starts at the Five Island Restaurant and goes south to the village.

I'm sure it's not the local fishing boats, the amount is way too much.

They had a similar spill on Ban Tha Hin beach, between Sichon & Tha Sala. That was crude oil , big blobs. That looks more like ship discharge by the amount.

Just spoke to some men in uniform on the beach. They said they were from the district office and will solve the problem? They couldn't tell who was to blame.

Thai local t.v. was filming this morning.

Edited by mitmig

They had a similar spill on Ban Tha Hin beach, between Sichon & Tha Sala. That was crude oil , big blobs. That looks more like ship discharge by the amount.

Isolated so a boat rather than ship. Oil has been emulsified which would carry a signature from the boat it came from because it cannot discharge ALL of it. Fingerprint all large boats in the area at that time and you have the culprit... Will this happen? No, CP foods.

They are really taking this situation seriously especially considering the exploration for oil and gas off the islands. Since Tuesday there are officials

on the beach every day and this morning another group of 10 people showed up. They’ve seen the videomaterial.

Since the high tide and rain on Tuesday evening the oil in the sea and on the beach has gone and it looks as if nothing ever happened ....

Ships are required to have bilge and waste oil tanks amongst others. When the engine room bilge gets full of water any oil / fuel etc that has been leaking from poor maintenance gets mixed up with the water. If you have a large water leak and the bilge is too full you must pump it into a bilge water holding tank for discharge ashore. IMO classed ships must have an oily water separator so the bilge tank can be emptied through that. The separated oil goes to the sludge tank and water with less than 50 ppm oil can go over the side once offshore.

In these cases in this part of the world it is a lot easier to just sling the engine room bilge over the side as pictured......

Looks like slop oil from a ships bilge tank and it appears to be emulsified. I douby that a fishing boat or ferry would have the capacity that is indicated in the video. Just another day in eco friendly Thailand

• Like 1