Can't Receive Texts On My New (2Nd Hand) Phone With Ais 3G 12Call Sim?

iza72

Hi everyone,

I've been googling away but can't seem to find the answer to my current phone problem so I thought I'd make a post here.

I bought a second hand Samsung Galaxy Mini (GTS 5570) from MBK yesterday. I then bought an AIS 3G 12call sim card directly from the AIS shop in MBK. Everything is working fine, I can send texts (one got through to my english phone), receive and make calls, use the 3g including whatsapp all fine. Except no text messages can be received to the phone?

I've tried taking out the battery and sim, turning off and on flight mode etc but still nothing has come through.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Iza

To first thing I would do, is check it in another phone (if you have that option available to you)

Sadly not, my english phone is an iphone and take the tiny sim and is also locked!

Can you tell which AIS network you are utilizing? Settings, About phone, Status, Network.

Is it TH-GSM? Something else? If you are roaming then in-coming SMSes can't 'find' you. Go to Messaging (your SMS app), Settings...is Auto-retrieve ticked? If you roam, say onto TOT or AWN/2100, then you have to tick Roaming auto-retrieve.

Can you share your APN settings?

This could also be an issue where the phone is not getting the correct SMSC information. Using your Dialer app enter 1. Go to Phone Dialer, and press: *#*#4636#*#*, Select Phone information, Scroll down to bottom of the screen, you'll see the field for SMSC setting. [Optional] Click Refresh to see current SMSC number. Change the SMSC number as you want. Then, click Update.

I think the AIS SMSC number is +66 81 811 0888
You can always ring AIS in 1175 for help.
Edited by lomatopo

Can you tell which AIS network you are utilizing? Settings, About phone, Status, Network.

Is it TH-GSM? Something else? If you are roaming then in-coming SMSes can't 'find' you. Go to Messaging (your SMS app), Settings...is Auto-retrieve ticked? If you roam, say onto TOT or AWN/2100, then you have to tick Roaming auto-retrieve.

Can you share your APN settings?

This could also be an issue where the phone is not getting the correct SMSC information. Using your Dialer app enter 1. Go to Phone Dialer, and press: *#*#4636#*#*, Select Phone information, Scroll down to bottom of the screen, you'll see the field for SMSC setting. [Optional] Click Refresh to see current SMSC number. Change the SMSC number as you want. Then, click Update.

I think the AIS SMSC number is +66 81 811 0888
You can always ring AIS in 1175 for help.

Thanks so much for this reply, it's greatly apprecited.

Sadly no joy yet.

Network = AIS

Auto-retreive and roaming auto-retreive are both on.

Mobile network type = UMTS

Android version = 2.2.1

---

I'm unsure of what APN settings are, just had a google on how to find them for my phone model and no joy..

Also, I tried the last thing you mentions which was changing the SMSC number. The SMSC number is currently set to an 07916629139983f1. When I add in the new number you gave and update, nothing happens, then i refresh and it's the old number again... Tried numerous times now.

Preferred network type is 'GSM.CDMA auto (PRL)'.

I called AIS but there was nobody available to speak with me so left them as message as instructed, hopefully they will call back.

Thanks again for your help thus far, sounds like it could be another trip to MBK for me tomorrow!

To me it looks like there is an issue with the SMSC number. Not sure why you can't enter a new SMSC number and then press Update?

Maybe your phone is branded by a service provider with unique firmware, and this is their default SMSC number? I thought that the phone gets the SMSC details from the SIM or network.

Not sure what to say? Maybe a factory re-set, or re-flashing a generic ROM would remedy the situation?

Attached is a screenshot of my SMSC config., note that I am on DTAC so the number is different, but maybe the format - quotes, suffix - can help you to get a number to 'stick'?

post-9615-0-59438400-1370354305_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

Thanks for all the help! Sorry late reply, been moving house and flathunting.

In actual fact, it cannot receive international texts so I've decided to live with it.

Thanks again.. great forum!