Phuket's Most Famous Beachfront Road To Get 200-Million-Baht Face Lift

webfact

Phuket's most famous beachfront road to get 200-million-baht face lift
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- A plan to beautify over 3.5 kilometers of the Patong beachfront road by hiding unsightly power lines underground was presented at a public hearing yesterday in Patong.

If the 203-million-baht project passes the public hearing process, as it is expected to, construction could start this year, covering the stretch of Taweewong Road from the three-junction in Kalim to Klong Pak Bang bridge, a total of 3.65km.

“88 million baht will come from the Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA) and 115 million baht will come from Patong Municipality,” said Patong Municipality Chief Technician Surapon Buakaew.

“But first we need to present the idea to the public and allow them to comment,” he said.

At the hearing yesterday, led by Patong Mayor Pian Keesin, Patong Superintendent Jiraphat Pochanapnat and PEA staff, local residents voiced concerns about pollution and traffic congestion.

“The traffic problem is the only thing that I’m really concerned about. Other than that, I just think the construction should be fast and have a clear time line,” Weerawit Kurasombat, President of the Patong Entertainment Association said.

“Overall, I support this project because it will make the beachfront road more beautiful,” he added.

Once the plan passes the public hearing process, budget documents will be presented to the governor and construction bids will be solicited.

The planners hope to use money from the 2014 budget, which takes effect in October, to start construction this year.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-s-most-famous-beachfront-road-to-get-200-million-baht-face-lift-21243.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-05

The road does not look that bad, in fact, I, me myself, like the somewhat rough look to be seen in Thailand and in the developing world. It adds a distinctive character to the environs, rather than the polished smoothness of uniform blandness to be seen in the west.

Maybe some tips for the planmakers ...

* provide empty spaces where you can park only 2 min to disembarking people or goods, many time trafficjams occure cause they stop on the road.

* make some tuktuk gathering parking spaces at the beachside, and allow only 1 tuk tuk parkingplace at every corner of a soi. when 1 goes , the next one from the gather place come to fill it up, this wil make the shopside free to park instead of full of waiting tuktuks, pedastrians will not be annoyed

* provide a walk bridge at bangla to go to the beach

* motorbike parking, maybe better at shop site, cause mostly from staff working, so no crossing the road, and only 1 line, beachside now mostly double line, wahts result that many motorbikes get blocked. if parking there double line should be vertical instead of horizontal

maybe some good ideas ?

What a fantastic idea....!
Yes..dig up the road all the way along the beach from one end to the other with a big ditch just like they've done..(well, started anyway..) along the road from Phrabarami Road (Esso Gas Station), down to the Police Station and the Patong Hospital toward the rear of Jungceylon so they can install a new drainage system....
I watched that fiasco for 6 months which began in May last year and today it is still a mire of mud when it rains and impossible to navigate on two wheels, rutted on four and a is like a 'shamal' or sandstorm when it's dry.... half the time they worked on it, the remaining half nothing happened...(well apart from some businesses that closed down, i.e. the clean and modern 'Super Cheap'..(yes, 'clean and modern Supercheap' !), a couple of decent restaurants....it was, and still is a joke.....considering the lack of roads in and out of Patong, I'm amazed how the contractors get away with taking so long....Yeah, we really need another road dug up before they finish existing projects...the roads in Patong are shy_te....Good Luck with this one when it starts.....coffee1.gif

Maybe some tips for the planmakers ...

* provide empty spaces where you can park only 2 min to disembarking people or goods, many time trafficjams occure cause they stop on the road.

* make some tuktuk gathering parking spaces at the beachside, and allow only 1 tuk tuk parkingplace at every corner of a soi. when 1 goes , the next one from the gather place come to fill it up, this wil make the shopside free to park instead of full of waiting tuktuks, pedastrians will not be annoyed

* provide a walk bridge at bangla to go to the beach

* motorbike parking, maybe better at shop site, cause mostly from staff working, so no crossing the road, and only 1 line, beachside now mostly double line, wahts result that many motorbikes get blocked. if parking there double line should be vertical instead of horizontal

maybe some good ideas ?

Exactly what drugs are you on ?cheesy.gif

• Like 1

As quoted in the article;

The planners hope to use money from the 2014 budget, which takes effect in October, to start construction this year

So, i read it that the money will be available in October, and the construction will start ''this year''..meaning, i presume , after October..

Brilliant...what happens at that time of year?

Oh yes , thats about the start of ''high season''...great time to start work on probably the most used stretch of real estate in Patong....the mind boggles at the actions of these clowns...really does..w00t.gif crazy does not describe it enough.

• Like 1