Chiang Mai To Chiang Rai Drive: Your Favourite Stops

ChiangMai101

Been years since I went up there. Remember on the left side of the road was a Big Wat all in white. It is a tourist stop. Must be other things if you have your own transportation. I believe there is some caves off the road some where along the way. I guess it would depend on how munch time you have and how far off the road you are willing to go.

We drove back to Chiang Rai from Chiang Mai yesterday and it was a lovely drive.

It is not a long drive but it would take you a very long time if you tried to stop and take in all the nice little side trips that are on offer. If you see something along the way that appeals to you then puller over. That is the way I normally do it and it adds to a feeling of adventure and discovery. It is all more fun if you don’t plan too much and you aren't racing from point A to point B.

If you want a longer drive there are a few options but the 118 is pretty these days if you have not been on it for a while. We had a little rain in the mountains which helped to set the mood and made for great drive.smile.png
  • Like 1

I've done that drive countless times over the last 10 years. The scenery is nice though there isn't much of interest along the way. About half way there is a tourist stop with what looks like a big Khmer temple, and there are some hot springs there. There are several coffee shops along the way and it seems like 1 or 2 new ones every time I make the trip. On the south side of Chiang Rai the white temple is well worth seeing.

If you are not in any hurry you can take the more scenic route up through Chiang Dao and Thaton. Even better mountain scenery that way.,, however much of that route is 2 lane roads and when you get stuck behind a big slow truck or bus it can be a long time to get around it.

Agree that the route through Mae RIm, Chiang Dao, Fang, Thaton is more interesting. Thaton has some very nice places to stay. Then, if you follow the very scenic mountain roads north and east of Thaton you are really in for a treat including Doi Tung, a very popular stop. (Be advised that Doi Tung is a little unusual. Never mind why!) Travel down the mountains a bit from there to the main road just north of Chiang Rai. Not so well known are the Kumintang towns and memorial en route all definitely worth a long stop. The much-followed path to Chiang Rai is very boring in comparison. Actually, all this is worth two - three days.

• Like 2

Ulysses G., on 05 Jun 2013 - 19:26, said:

There is resort with a bakery that has been selling delicious pies for something like 20 years. I have never tried it, but have always wanted to.

Well, it was indeed special 20 years ago, but these days of course the quality of cakes and pastries in town has increased well beyond that(*). Stil, it is a nice enough spot to stop, before hitting the final set of mountains.

Where I would stop:

1. Mae Khachan Hot Springs (Not very remarkable, but a good enough place to stop for a coffee and stretch your legs). And to laugh uncontrollably at the fake Khmer style pagodas they built there out of steel and some brown cladding. This is after the first set of mountains (those in between Doi Saket and Mae Khachan), that form the borderbetween CM and CR. http://www.thailand-to-do.com/mae-kachan-hot-spring-rest-stop/

2. The above mentioned resort that has cakes (and food, of course) called Charin Garden Resort which is just past Mae Suay as you hit the final set of mountains. It's on the right hand side, look for the sign. http://www.chiangrai2.com/E/rooms_charin_garden_resort_chiang_rai.php You could stop here for food, too.

3. The White Temple (Wat Rong Kun), not too far after you exit those mountains. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wat_Rong_Khun

That's it.

(*) This is one of those topics where Ajarn is missed.. He really disagreed on that. smile.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Ulysses G., on 05 Jun 2013 - 19:26, said:

There is resort with a bakery that has been selling delicious pies for something like 20 years. I have never tried it, but have always wanted to.

Well, it was indeed special 20 years ago, but these days of course the quality of cakes and pastries in town has increased well beyond that(*). Stil, it is a nice enough spot to stop, before hitting the final set of mountains.

Still has the best pies/cakes of anyplace I've had in Thailand IMHO. My boss brings me back my favorite pies occasionally from there and I still am in heaven eating them. Here is my topic on the subject of Charin Resort. You'll see Ajarn also agreed. smile.png

Charin Bakery is THE place to stop on the way to Chiang Rai.

Best pies in Thailand.

Now we can enjoy them here at the CM Charin on Nimman Soi 13.

Mango Cream Pie, Lemon Meringue, Banana Cream pie and other great ones. Be prepared for "mai mee, maybe tomorrow." They sell out fast.

• Like 2

Best pies in Thailand.

Mango Cream Pie, Lemon Meringue, Banana Cream pie and other great ones. Be prepared for "mai mee, maybe tomorrow." They sell out fast.

Is it as good as the original location? I was disappointed by the one that used to be at Airport Plaza, but everyone said that it was run by different people. It was not bad, but not nearly as good as Butter is Better for example.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Best pies in Thailand.

Is it as good as the original location? I was disappointed by the one that used to be at Airport Plaza, but everyone said that it was run by different people. It was not bad, but not nearly as good as Butter is Better for example.

I didn't ask if they were same owners but the pies are just as good. Especially the banana cream and the lemon meringue.

C&C (Cabbages and Condoms) located in the Village of Ban Mo in Amphur

Wiang Pa Pao (almost exactly 1/2 the way between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai),

was at one time a premier location for either a quick lunch/coffee stop or even

an overnight. Unfortunately, it has really gone downhill in the past

several years. So much so that tour/van operators now get paid to make a

stop there.

The food is over-priced and of poor quality.

The Mae Khachan Hot Springs is s much better stop with great coffee available

and good although basic restaurants.

Called Pie Jarin or something. Nice place to stop for toilets and nice view

118, Mae Suai, Chiang Rai, Thailand

http://goo.gl/maps/8MjYz

GPS 19.695708,99.580743

I've tried some of the pies where the original place in Chiang rai. Not too bad at all, similar to Love at first bites.

They have branch at Kad suen Kaew near Subway but I've never tried it. May be the original place taste better.

Something out of the ordinary and interesting to some may be the Pun Pun Thailand Farm. Organic farm specializing in Thai Heirloom seeds, and also have seminars, etc. on Cob house building with natural clay, sand and straw. It is around Mae Tang. Google Pun Pun Thailand. Better to contact them before a visit to see if they are open for visitors....