Charin Resort

Tywais

At least for me, the best pies I've ever had here or back home come from Charin Resort on the way to Chiang Rai. A friend of mine's mother is the owner and a few years ago we had a 3 day seminar at the resort and had a chance to taste the pies. Outstanding comes to mind. ;)

He brought me my favorite today, a whole Lemon meringue pie. :licklips: So, if on the way to Chiang Rai highly recommend a stop to try them out.

post-566-0-41175200-1293735124_thumb.jpg post-566-0-33331500-1293735417_thumb.jpg

Article

Charin Resort

I understand there is a branch in Chiang Mai at the Airport Plaza?

I agree, great pies. We always stop there on the way to/from Chiang Rai.

Their location in airport plaza is adjacent to Thai Airway's 'puff and pie' which in my opinion offers some of the best-value and best-tasting sausage rolls and curry puffs in our universe.

The branch at the airport is nothing to go out of your way for. It is run by a relative, not the original owner in Chiang Rai, and many people say it is not as good - although it is OK.

I have been hearing great things about the original place for decades now, but have never been as I always take the bus and it is not convenient to stop.

The branch at the airport is nothing to go out of your way for. It is run by a relative, not the original owner in Chiang Rai, and many people say it is not as good - although it is OK.

I have been hearing great things about the original place for decades now, but have never been as I always take the bus and it is not convenient to stop.

George, you should REALLY try to stop. You will have a pie orgasim :)

Charin has been my home away from home for 25 years.

I like the chocolate pie and the blueberry cheesecake :licklips:

It's located at kilometer 140, if I remember right. That's on Highway 118, 140 kms from the Superhighway in Chiang Mai. Tel: 0 1783 1637

Definitely a must-stop kind of place.

Actually, it is at Km Post 142 :)

George, you should REALLY try to stop. You will have a pie orgasim :)

Charin has been my home away from home for 25 years.

I like the chocolate pie and the blueberry cheesecake :licklips:

If I ever go that way by car, I will for sure, but luckily, for now, there is Butter is Better's rhubarb pie right in town. It is truly AMAZING!

They also have rhubarb with strawberry, but the plain rhubarb is the better of the two IMHO.

If I ever go that way by car, I will for sure, but luckily, for now, there is Butter is Better's rhubarb pie right in town. It is truly AMAZING!

They also have rhubarb with strawberry, but the plain rhubarb is the better of the two IMHO.

Hmmm I love rhubarb pie - where is "Butter is Better" located?

There are maps on their website and they are also opening a new location at the Airport Rimping in a few days.

http://www.butterisbetterbakery.com/

Edited by Ulysses G.

When I'm driving past the Chiang Rai location I stop too, however the time when pies like that were among the best the North had to offer are well behind us. They're 'Ok', and quite nice when you need a pit stop anyway on your way to Chiang Rai town. But currently the place doesn't come close to the top bakeries in Chiang Mai.

Across from Pantip Plaza just south of the night bazaar. Try the rhubarb pie with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream. It's fantastic. Butter is Better also has absolutely the BEST cheese danish that I have ever experienced. The chocolate chip cookies are the best that I have had in Thailand. Quite excellent.

When I'm driving past the Chiang Rai location I stop too, however the time when pies like that were among the best the North had to offer are well behind us. They're 'Ok', and quite nice when you need a pit stop anyway on your way to Chiang Rai town. But currently the place doesn't come close to the top bakeries in Chiang Mai.

Why do you always talk crap?

Either you have NEVER been there, or when you leave CM, you leave your taste buds too.

Edited by LJW

Sawasdee Khrup, TV CM Friends,

Droolingly agree with Khun Tywais that the pies at the Charin Resort, Amphur Mae Suwai, about 30 km. south of Chiang Rai; the resort right on the small Mae Lau river, are the ultimate.

First stopped there maybe 12 years ago, during our first stay (of four years or so) in Thailand; the place had not been opened long then, and the owner, a Thai woman who, if memory serves, had lived in the US, in San Diego, a long time spent some time talking with us.

The coconut pie we had that day must have been the ultimate pie of our lives ! And part of it, we think, was the ambience, sitting out on an understatedly designed wooden porch looking out over the Mae Lau which was in full spate that time of year. And since that long-ago time the rose-gardens have been put in, small aviaries of birds, the gardens fully fleshed out: even more beautiful !

In later visits we really enjoyed re-living our southern US roots with the Pecan Pie !

Of course, in those days, we were only a human onesome in this body, and had a full set of taste-buds.

For a while Charin had an outlet in the Tesco Lotus on the Superhighway, a place we'd buy gift pies for presents for friend's birthdays and such.

Thanks for the memories !

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Across from Pantip Plaza just south of the night bazaar. Try the rhubarb pie with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream. It's fantastic. Butter is Better also has absolutely the BEST cheese danish that I have ever experienced. The chocolate chip cookies are the best that I have had in Thailand. Quite excellent.

Helloooooooo!!!!! Can you people stop being so unbelievable cruel on the last day of this year? !!! a108.gifg150.gif

Water dripping from my mouth now, a136.gif but I'm totally stuck to the house with NONE of that in my fridge. c021.gif

Why do you always talk crap?

Either you have NEVER been there, or when you leave CM, you leave your taste buds too.

Please re-read my opening line. I've visited a couple times and even stayed at their resort while it was open. You may not have been to places like the Oriental Hotel bakery.

Either way it's my opinion; surely you can muster a little more respect than dismissing it as 'crap' ?

We may be approaching a new all time low: are we actually arguing about pies? :rolleyes:.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Had my first slice last night and it did not disappoint. It was perfect, incredibly light meringue and crust that just melts in your mouth. I usually don't get involved in food topics nor make recommendations, but I feel this case is justified.

post-566-0-84353900-1293776527_thumb.jpg

I agree with all of these. Also the croissants are excellent and the sticky buns and the Boston cream pie and... a lot of other stuff! :D

Ah, well....In the best spirit of the New Year and all that....

Why can't we all just agree- to disagree?:jap:

I have been reading the Sausage King's postings about some of his products. This is not a plug, I am a non-denominational pie appreciator.

He said something about a mince pie he was doing. Ingredients steeped in cognac for weeks, etc.

TBH, I have had dreams about this fantasy pie for a while now.

Deep dish, pie crust light and flaky, perfect filling.......

Forget the vanilla ice cream. Gimme a glass of vintage port with a generous slice of said pie, and I'll be a happy camper.

Best Wishes to all for the New Year, and may you find the Pie of Your Dreams!

:lol:

Ah, well....In the best spirit of the New Year and all that....

Why can't we all just agree- to disagree?:jap:

I have been reading the Sausage King's postings about some of his products. This is not a plug, I am a non-denominational pie appreciator.

He said something about a mince pie he was doing. Ingredients steeped in cognac for weeks, etc.

TBH, I have had dreams about this fantasy pie for a while now.

Deep dish, pie crust light and flaky, perfect filling.......

Forget the vanilla ice cream. Gimme a glass of vintage port with a generous slice of said pie, and I'll be a happy camper.

Best Wishes to all for the New Year, and may you find the Pie of Your Dreams!

:lol:

Just make sure you ask for Christmas Mince Pies or you may go home with Steak mince and onions pie like I did.

Edited by harrry

• 3 weeks later...

On the streangth of the recomendation of the pies I decided that it was time to try them. On sunday we bought 4 pieces 2 apple and two chocolate at 45baht a piece and they were every bit as delicious as I had been told..his time when we went to Chiangrai.

Today on our return we went and bought 8 pieces. The girl came with more pies than my wife ordered and said 450 baht. My wife told them there was a mistake and the girl rather snappily said it is what she ordered. My wife said no and checked and indicated the ones she did not order. The girl said she did order them but was told by the cashier to take them away. My wife left the resturaunt feeling she never wanted to return...maybe they were more interested in dealing with the hiso thais there. I am left knowing there are great pies there but with the disgusting service unwilling to return and buy more for fear of another similar episode.

On the streangth of the recomendation of the pies I decided that it was time to try them. On sunday we bought 4 pieces 2 apple and two chocolate at 45baht a piece and they were every bit as delicious as I had been told..his time when we went to Chiangrai.

Today on our return we went and bought 8 pieces. The girl came with more pies than my wife ordered and said 450 baht. My wife told them there was a mistake and the girl rather snappily said it is what she ordered. My wife said no and checked and indicated the ones she did not order. The girl said she did order them but was told by the cashier to take them away. My wife left the resturaunt feeling she never wanted to return...maybe they were more interested in dealing with the hiso thais there. I am left knowing there are great pies there but with the disgusting service unwilling to return and buy more for fear of another similar episode.

....stick to The Pun Pun , Harry, I can be just as miserable as they can and you save all that money spent for gas..... :D

ps you can also get gas at The Pun Pun

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I have eaten there and bought pie there many times and never found the service to be disgusting.

I have eaten there and bought pie there many times and never found the service to be disgusting.

Maybe you are calling me a liar.

I will not stand my wife being treated in that manner.