Who Will Be The Next Superpower?

davidm

One persistent thread running through the anti-US/Bush posts is that the Americans should be more humble because the time will come when another country replaces them as the world's most powerful country.

History is on the side of that argument. I think technology and economics might actually suggest they are wrong, though. Who do you think might overtake the US and in what approximate timescale?

I've given my opinion of a few obvious candidates below.

The EU/United States of Europe.

Strengths: reasonably large, prosperous and well-educated population with its own technology and commerce base and a history its members dominating the world.

Weaknesses: Members are too divided and suspicious of each other to function effectively as a single unit. The group's main currency is dependent on stagnating economies which are not following common sense rules essential for long term survival of a currency.

Germania

Strengths: large homogenous group within Europe which could dominate the mainland of that continent and has the technology to compete effectively on the world stage.

Weaknesses: Too small to overtake America. Other Europeans are so scared of the consequences of a greater Germany evolving, they will do everything they have to to prevent that outcome.

Russia

Strengths: Huge country with plentiful natural resources. Very strong scientific base with innovative population.

Weaknesses: Even Russians don't want to live there. Shrinking population. Too far away from economic centre of the world. Doesn't have a warm water port.

India

Strengths: Excellent education system churning out millions of English speakers. Large population. Strong entrepreneurial spirit.

Weaknesses: Population is growing too rapidly. Still decades away from even catching up with China. Stagnant culture. Lacks room to expand.

China

Strengths: The world's most populous country and a rapidly growing economy.

Weaknesses: Lacks natural allies. What will happen once the one party state is ended? Population growth could cause myriad problems as with India. With one exception in history, Chinese traditionally have not shown much interest in the world beyond their own narrow interests.

The United Nations

Strengths: With everyone included, that should mean all of their strengths pulling together for the same purpose.

Weaknesses: Even worse than the EU when it comes to divisions and factions within the unit. Who would actually lead the UN? Would we have a democracy with one country one vote? How would we achieve consensus? In fact, the previous secretary general of the UN, Boutros Boutros Ghali, actually tried to establish the UN as the world's dominant force, asking each country to pay a special UN tax to help finance, among other things a UN army. The man was a little ahead of his time.

Don't know if you're right, tukyleith, but if the previous economic cycle is any guide, we're about six months away from seeing articles in the local press boasting that Thailand is about to overtake America as the world's next global superpower and so on ad nauseum.

BTW, in case you didn't know the term "french fries" originated in the 19th century. Europeans introduced the the concept of sauteed (sorry about the lack of accent) potatoes. True to form, Americans were completely stumped by the word, and as it was French, decided to name that form of cooked potato after the French. Most french fries we consume these days are not sauteed but deep fried. The name has stuck, though

Guest IT Manager

In a gesture of solidarity, I'm even willing to start calling French Fries, chips!

May I chip in ?

I would say that "Freedom chips" is more accurate. But even like that, they should be taken with a pinch of salt.

And some vinegar

Currently Belgium is the front runner for originating "French Fries" And the word french in this useage doesn't actually relate to France as a point of origin, it comes from a culinary technique of cutting something into long rectangles. Thus potatoes were "frenched" then "fried". It became "french fries" as the "ed" was dropped in regular usage.

Yes, vinegar is good, though I like on the fish portion of fish and chips best. One of the better things England gave us. Shakespeare was okay and all those Page Three girls are a pleasant diversion. Patricia Finney is an excellent author for those that like English historical mysteries. Jaguar E-types were a very pleasant addition to the road. Even if they did have Lucas "Prince of Darkness" wiring.

Oh, whoops, I've wandered off topic here. Doddering old fart, aren't I?

Jeepz

The quote below is from http://www.belgianfries.com

Pictures and texts proof that fries were all around our (Belgium) country in the second half of the 19th century. The oldest written proof is dated 1862 and mentions a certain Fritz and the widow Descamps as owners of a fry stand on the Liège 'kermis'. In 1891 a picture of both stands was taken.

Jo Gerard, a famous Belgian historian, claims to have proof that fries were invented in the region of the Meuse in 1680. Based on an unpublished document, he writes that the poor inhabitants of this region ate mostly fish. When the river frooze, they cut their potatous in a fish-shape and fried them.

The USA

The Americans have their own story. I quote 'The Official French Fry Page': "French Fries, at least in the US, seem to have been first named "Potatoes, fried in the French Manner," which is how Thomas Jefferson described a dish he brought over to the colonies in the late 1700s. Presumably, he brought over the method, and not an actual plate or two, as they would have become rather soggy and possibly rancid on the 5- to 8-week Atlantic crossing. He served this to guests at Monticello and it became popular, serious dinner fare." Sounds a bit BS to me.

Chips in Great Britain

Nothing much on the history of chips in Great Britain except this quote from the Dundee City Fact Sheet: "... whilst, in the 1870s, that glory of British gastronomy - the chip - was first sold by Belgian immigrant Edward De Gernier in the city's Greenmarket.

adjan jb~

It may be that your Belgium friends are simply unaware of their culinary history. Or maybe the Brits were first, or per the American's it was the French. I personally lean toward the Belgium theory.

Jeepz

Anyway, the best "French" fries are in Belgium.

Mussels and fries are a must. Have you ever tried ?

Funnily enough, that's exactly what a Dutch friend who lives only about ten miles from Holland's southern border with Belgium said. So we dutifully cycled (naturally) over the snaking border in that area to a Belgain town to try the fries. Tasted identical to what you could get in NL, so not convinced by that theory, although it confirms the one about the grass is always greener on the other side.

Stick with thick cut British-style chips, which even if dripping in grease, due to their surface area : volume ratio are still healthier and tastier than anyone elses. The yanks don't even get spuds in their extruded-Mac <deleted>. :o

Hey, while I am thinking 'who Will Be The Next Superpower?'

you are talking about, what I call pommes frittes'. :D

So the super power to the best maker of fries? :o

Just joking, I still cannot find the next superpower, although I would give a vote to China and even more so, if one day they manage to get the P.R. (People's Republic) out of their country's name.

The yanks don't even get spuds in their extruded-Mac <deleted>. :D

When it comes to food, they get exactly what they deserve. :D

Yeah, well, at least we don't eat something called "Spotted Dick"!

It tastes as awful as it sounds... :o

• 2 weeks later...