Airlines To Increase Myanmar Flights

Airlines bump up Myanmar flights

June 7, 2013 by Rapeepat Mantanarat

BANGKOK, 7 June 2013: Airlines continue to add services between Myanmar and its ASEAN neighbours to capitalise on the country’s economic and tourism boom.

Asia Wings Airways told TTR Weekly on the sidelines of the Thailand Travel Mart at IMPACT Muang Thong Thani, yesterday, it will start its first regional service, 25 June, on the Yangon-Chiang Mai route, a twice weekly flight complementing its sister carrier Air Bagan that also flies the route twice weekly.

Other regional destinations are planned for October.

“We are planning more regional services this October but it depends on the readiness of our reservations system to secure overseas bookings,” said Asian Wings Airways marketing and reservations manager, Cho Mar Nwe.

Eventually, it plans to fly from Yangon to Bangkok, Phuket, Seoul, Guangzhou, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore and from Mandalay to Chiang Mai, Gaya and Kunming.

inside-no-13.jpg

Read the full article here: http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2013/06/airlines-bump-up-myanmar-flights/

If that Mandalay-Chiang Mai flight heads back to Mandalay then I'll be elated as no great desire to visit Yangon again. Besides can't afford the Savoy hotel a second time.

Flew back to Chiang Mai yesterday on Air Bagan which was delayed over 2 hours and couldn't help but notice just how small that Yangon international airport is. Just 5 gates which if tourists arrive in projected numbers - 7million in 2 years time I believe I read - then they will have to build another or hopefully route international flights up country.

Flew back to Chiang Mai yesterday on Air Bagan which was delayed over 2 hours and couldn't help but notice just how small that Yangon international airport is. Just 5 gates which if tourists arrive in projected numbers - 7million in 2 years time I believe I read - then they will have to build another or hopefully route international flights up country.

Are you aware they announced the new international airport for Yangon last year? Tenders have already been called.

Site is at Hanthawaddy, about 70-odd kilometres north of Yangon

Are you aware they announced the new international airport for Yangon last year? Tenders have already been called.Site is at Hanthawaddy, about 70-odd kilometres north of Yangon

No obviously not aware but the present airport seems like pretty new but maybe not. 70kms outside town? Wow that will be a hit with the cabbies.

Thanks for the correction.

I'll see if I can dig up some links - pretty sure I posted something, else there is an old news feed article somewhere.

Yes - I am thinking that it certainly will be a hit with the cabbies too.

Seriously wonder if it will work without some kind of mass transit rail system. Would be quite off putting if it took an hour and a half to get downtown.

Guess we'll hear more in time.