American Businessman Wanted In The U S For Fraud Arrested In Hua Hin District

webfact

Looks like again that not only the cream of farlangs comes to Thailand

And once again the Thai police have to deal with criminals who slip through the incompetent fingers of the law & immigrations in Europe and America.

>Looks like the Thai media info on this guy, for once, actually bears some resemblance to the alleged truth.

Interesting concept, the "alleged truth."

You've got to love it. An American who confessed to a crime, was indicted, jumped bail, made a mockery of the US legal system and supposed cutting-edge immigrations technology , had to be arrested by the Thai Police etc. etc. ... BUT let's turn that around and do a little Thai media bashing. I wonder if there is any screw-up that takes place in the world that doesn't provide an opportunity for at least a little left-handed Thai bashing.

A mockery of the US legal system?! A non-violent criminal who committed fraud worth US $1.5 million? This was a moment of great cooperation. Excellent work on all sides to capture another criminal who thought Thailand's lax attitude to law enforcement would work in his favor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/21/world/asia/21iht-thailand21.html?_r=0

britinthai, on 09 Jun 2013 - 01:41, said:

Why is there so many people so fast in branding Thailand as wrong for letting in Criminals, when their home country are so fast to let them out of their national country; it seems the host country needs the bashing for letting criminals freely wonder around the world. Obviously Thailand is an attraction to both honest and the not so; not because Thailand opens the door; it because it is a lovely country. Considering most Thailand bashers believe their country is perfect, then considering the host country allows a person to exit their country; thus why would Thailand being the inferior country (according to the basher) bother to do a background check; they will find nothing untoward, unless they have direct access to host countries criminal records; this will never happen. It is understood the western world has a system that alarms other countries of people who they believe are a threat to national security, that is as far as it goes. A lovely country, cheap to live, good food, slim pretty woman that give you a lot of attention (At a cost, but upfront; not like the hidden cost back home), unlike the gut busting boob-tube westerners, who seem to think their puss y is worth as much as the government will take care of them - therefore Thailand is not a home for criminals; it is a home for the better life seekers, and I would say there are more good than bad that have taken Thailand as their home. Yes there will always the few that are on the run, but as this guy; they will get caught and do the time.

Let me get this straight (and, for the record, I'm assuming it was you who attracted the "grammar police"-post the mods nailed): you don't think there are criminals in Thailand? At all? I wonder what the color blue looks like on your planet. If you don't mind my asking, are you Thai? Your worldview and grammar reek of Thai thinking (i.e. make as much sense as using an umbrella while riding a motorcycle):

unlike the gut busting boob-tube westerners, who seem to think their puss y is worth as much as the government will take care of them

Edited by Unkomoncents

they can find a man who is wanted from the U.S.A , low profile and get him extradited back .But can they find the ex PM ? no , they dont know where he is .

Yes, but the American is a real criminal whereas the ex PM was convicted on a trumped up charge instigated by the coup led government, and all but the 'brainwashed' know it. coffee1.gif

so his charge was trumped up ....really ....

they can find a man who is wanted from the U.S.A , low profile and get him extradited back .But can they find the ex PM ? no , they dont know where he is .

He could be hiding in Thailand and they will amazingly not be able to find him.

• Like 1

And once again the Thai police have to deal with criminals who slip through the incompetent fingers of the law & immigrations in Europe and America.

Looks like the Thai media info on this guy, for once, actually bears some resemblance to the alleged truth.

You've got to love it. An American who confessed to a crime, was indicted, jumped bail, made a mockery of the US legal system and supposed cutting-edge immigrations technology , had to be arrested by the Thai Police etc. etc. ... BUT let's turn that around and do a little Thai media bashing. I wonder if there is any screw-up that takes place in the world that doesn't provide an opportunity for at least a little left-handed Thai bashing.

On the other hand, if Thailand were not a haven for criminals and malcontents worldwide, these criminals would not be here, now would they?

Do you really believe that the RTP proactively sought out this fugitive and made the arrest without prompting from international authorities? If so, I have a nice bridge for sale.

Why is there so many people so fast in branding Thailand as wrong for letting in Criminals, when their home country are so fast to let them out of their national country; it seems the host country needs the bashing for letting criminals freely wonder around the world. Obviously Thailand is an attraction to both honest and the not so; not because Thailand opens the door; it because it is a lovely country. Considering most Thailand bashers believe their country is perfect, then considering the host country allows a person to exit their country; thus why would Thailand being the inferior country (according to the basher) bother to do a background check; they will find nothing untoward, unless they have direct access to host countries criminal records; this will never happen. It is understood the western world has a system that alarms other countries of people who they believe are a threat to national security, that is as far as it goes. A lovely country, cheap to live, good food, slim pretty woman that give you a lot of attention (At a cost, but upfront; not like the hidden cost back home), unlike the gut busting boob-tube westerners, who seem to think their puss y is worth as much as the government will take care of them - therefore Thailand is not a home for criminals; it is a home for the better life seekers, and I would say there are more good than bad that have taken Thailand as their home. Yes there will always the few that are on the run, but as this guy; they will get caught and do the time.

Que rico! You do realize that there are more cases than can be counted where Thais have been charged with crimes against their own people and foreigners, including murder, and the perpetrator is released on bail, then immediately disappear. Especially if the bad guy is a policeman. I don't need to cite cases because you know it's true. Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

My guess is that the Thai police had a heck of a lot of help from the FBI finding this guy. Probably from facial recognition software at the immigration booth when coming in country.. Then they just had to wait for the 90 day check in when the doofus actually gave his current residence. He was smart enough to bilk about a mil and a half out of some hospital but not smart enough to hide for long. Getting his photo taken at immigration should have been a ping on his radar screen, jumped to Cambodia, then to Vietnam and then maybe to the Philippines. Living in a country where you stand out like a sore thumb isn't too bright. Now the dear fellow is going to spend about 4 - 5 years at club fed. Maybe he'll get a good education while there and get a PhD in fleeology.. coffee1.gif

Looks like the Thai media info on this guy, for once, actually bears some resemblance to the alleged truth.

You've been here too long mate. Your self-loathing Western mentality won't endear you to Thais no matter what you may think.

• Like 2

There you are. Sooner or later they will get you. The best policy in life is to be straight. There are laws so dont break them. Doing time in prison is not much fun.

Ya but then again the hospital and US government will never collect the 49 million he stole and he will only spend max 5 years in jail. Then out a free man with 49 million waiting in an offshore bank.

There you are. Sooner or later they will get you. The best policy in life is to be straight. There are laws so dont break them. Doing time in prison is not much fun.

Surely the only thinkg this teaches is to not get caught?

You did not know that "any screw-up that takes place in the world" is actually related to corrupt Thai police trying to get more tea money? rolleyes.gif

Was wondering why I can't seem to make many farang friends here. Happens as soon as the wife tells the new friends I am a retired law enforcement officer.

laugh.png Sounds like my brother, he's a retired Deputy Sheriff.. He can count all his close friends on one hand..

Here's the U.S. FBI's Bulletin on this guy: http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/wcc/paul-david-cardwell/view

It seems he only skipped to Thailand sometime around the fall of last year.

"the fall of last year"...does that mean Christmas/new year ????

If you are going to use a season as a time guide, try using the correct name ie Summer, Winter Spring or Autumn....remember that if you are quoting a season, quote the season as well as the country. This is Thailand not America..!!!

Sorry, but with that kind of money I could easily disappear. A little facial work, and staying away from going to the gym and the general public, one could easily be a ghost.

Course, being a falang makes it more difficult, but it's hard to understand how he got caught when he had that kind of cash at his disposal, unless he flanted it around attracting attention and just became to relaxed.

Here's the U.S. FBI's Bulletin on this guy: http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/wcc/paul-david-cardwell/view

It seems he only skipped to Thailand sometime around the fall of last year.

"the fall of last year"...does that mean Christmas/new year ????

If you are going to use a season as a time guide, try using the correct name ie Summer, Winter Spring or Autumn....remember that if you are quoting a season, quote the season as well as the country. This is Thailand not America..!!!

wow.. you need to chill out a little.. you didn't have enough 3 in 1 coffee stuff this morning.. There are a lot of people on here who are actually not in Thailand when they are posting. I know that' probably a shock to your system, but true.. coffee1.gif

fitness gym? thumbsup.gif

yes, he used to go to the @Letic fitness gym in Hua Hin

Do you think I could get the remaining time on his membership for a discount ;~) ? Wow, I have been here (in Hua Hin) 5 years and don't recall meeting him but I guess I can't meet everyone in town. Makes you wonder if his now "ex-girlfriend" has some money to spend.

One of the many things that gym does not do is discounts wink.png If you were a gym go-er, to that particular gym, then you might have met him, but as you apparently are not, you didn't.