Australia - The North Bit

sadman

Back to picking brains again, if you'd be so kind.

Mrs Sadman and I are going to Oz in late July. She's never been, and I've only been once. We want to go to going to Sydney for a week or so but would like to get to the barrier reef and snorkel a bit. Time is on our side - we have 5 weeks between the end of July and the end of August, of which we plan to spend 2-3 weeks in Oz.

Any suggestions (apart from the obvious?) I'm particularly mindful of the recent breezes that may have had a effect on the north and access to the reef.

Thanks.

Mrs Sadman and I are going to Oz in late July. She's never been, and I've only been once. We want to go to going to Sydney for a week or so but would like to get to the barrier reef and snorkel a bit. Time is on our side - we have 5 weeks between the end of July and the end of August, of which we plan to spend 2-3 weeks in Oz.

Any suggestions (apart from the obvious?) I'm particularly mindful of the recent breezes that may have had a effect on the north and access to the reef.

Thanks.

Hi mate we have just got back from the cyclone area in North QLD, suggest you try townsville for access to Magnetic Island and lower Reef and a chance to see the Cowboys up close or if you want to do the real tourist thingy, try Cairns great for access to the reef and the tablelands, Kuranda and the cablecar run is a must all a bit on the expensive side,or if you fancy easing yourself into Queensland Comfort, Brisbane and Moreton Bay to be recommended , Swim with wild dolphins at Tangalooma, we live near Bribie Island 45 minutes north of Brisbane , pop in for a cuppa or a coldie, we have a saying here, Queensland Beautiful one day ,Perfect the next :o Nignoy

Thanks.

I dont know how you're planning to travel in Oz, how old you are, or your budget, but there's a few backpacking travel agents on George St in Sydney. 'wanderers' is one of them that springs to mind. You can plan your whole trip north to the reef with these agents.

They can sell you hop-on/hop-off bus passes up the east coast Sydney-Cairns. Buy the ticket and take as many or as little stops to fit your timetable. I think the passes are about $2-300aud iirc or you can buy a bus pass + hostels, cant remember exact prices but reasonable enough.

:o

Edited by game4shame

I don't think he'll be needing much sunscreen in Sydney in July. It's winter for us Sydneyites! Make sure you bring a coat or two. It will be warmer up north, but Queenslanders will be able to tell you more about their state.