A Few Questions About Buying A Iphone 4S

Neeeko

Ok, so I want to buy an iphone 4s.

I live in Hua Hin but i've read about someone having a problem when buying on from there. So I'm thinking either A) Go to Bangkok to buy one or B) Order online.

On the apple store http://store.apple.com/th/buy/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone4s?product=IPHONE4S I can get one for 19,500 'unlocked' by the term 'unlocked' what does this mean exactly? Will I be able to put my old sim card into this phone?

Also If I ever have to go back to my home country, would I be able to use a UK sim card in the iphone ok? I've read somewhere that some phones are locked into the true network, but I am guessing that if the phone is 'unlocked' it means I can use any sim? Am I right?

if you think it's better to buy from Bangkok, does anyone know where's a good place to buy one and why it would be better to buy from the shop rather than online?

Any help would be great

Thanks!

Factory unlocked simply means it is not locked to a specific carrier so you can use any SIM/service provider you want, anywhere, including the UK.

If there is an iStudio (by CopperWired) nearby in Hua Hin just purchase it there, or at the Apple Shop in PowerBuy, or from the Apple Thailand on-line store. Many people have purchased from the on-line store, orders fulfilled in Singapore and shipped from China, and I do not ever recall hearing a bad things said about this method of fulfillment.

Power Buy @ Huahin
Apple Shop
Huahin Soi 88, Petchkasem Rd., Huahin, Prachuab Khirikhan 77110
Tel. +668 8185 0497
You could probably buy from a service provider, with or without a promotional price and/or package. I think TrueMove H sell an iPhone 4S for 19,912 all in, no requirement for a package. AIS and DTAC seem to have it for 19,900 all in, not sure if you have to get a post-paid package?
  • Like 1

Great, thanks for your help!

I live right near Powerbuy so will go check there. I am looking for a package which I can use there internet always so should I go speak to them about the sim card that would be best for me or go to a True/dtac etc shop?

If buying the iPhone 4S at PowerBuy I might avoid discussing SIMs there, just to avoid confusion.

If you want to buy a TrueMove H pre-paid (micro-)SIM at a phone shop or a 7/11, that's fine. You can bring it with you and activate it when you buy the phone.

Do you have a feel for your calling requirements? How much data do you think you'd be using?

You could get an iPlay SIM: http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/packages/iplay/entry/604

Then maybe layer on a data plan: iNET 599 http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/packages/inet/entry/583

I'd always recommend an "unlimited" plan which offers unlimited internet usage, even though your speed will be reduced once you reach your threshold. This way you don;t have to worry about per minute or per KB overages.

You may also wish to consider a post-paid plan but that might require more a of long term commitment, along with a residency requirement.

My wifes cousin just bought a iPhone 4S for THB 15,000 in Korat, not sure if locked or unlocked but could easily find out if you wish. I think 4S are dropping in price as the 5 is out and soon the 5S or 6 will be available, possible this September.

My wifes cousin just bought a iPhone 4S for THB 15,000 in Korat, not sure if locked or unlocked but could easily find out if you wish. I think 4S are dropping in price as the 5 is out and soon the 5S or 6 will be available, possible this September.

New iPhone prices have no variability here. No locked phones are sold here. iPhone prices do not drop before new products are announced/launched.

Your wife's cousin probably bought a second-hand iPhone 4S, as this price is in line with current retail used iPhone 4S prices, or maybe a new iPhone 4 at a slight (500 baht) premium?

Apple. initially more by accident than by strategy, is keeping previous models available and addressing more markets with lower-priced products.

New iPhone prices have no variability here. No locked phones are sold here. iPhone prices do not drop before new products are announced/launched.

iOS7 is announced

I assume that you understand that iOS7 is the new version of the operating system which iPhones run, rather than a new iPhone model?

But maybe your point is that only the iPhone 5 will get all of the iOS7 feature set?

From Apple's WWDC 2013:

post-9615-0-46359300-1370916806_thumb.jp

If buying the iPhone 4S at PowerBuy I might avoid discussing SIMs there, just to avoid confusion.

If you want to buy a TrueMove H pre-paid (micro-)SIM at a phone shop or a 7/11, that's fine. You can bring it with you and activate it when you buy the phone.

Do you have a feel for your calling requirements? How much data do you think you'd be using?

You could get an iPlay SIM: http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/packages/iplay/entry/604

Then maybe layer on a data plan: iNET 599 http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/packages/inet/entry/583

I'd always recommend an "unlimited" plan which offers unlimited internet usage, even though your speed will be reduced once you reach your threshold. This way you don;t have to worry about per minute or per KB overages.

You may also wish to consider a post-paid plan but that might require more a of long term commitment, along with a residency requirement.

I wouldn't be making to many calls, most of the time I use texts more than calls, I think the 'unlimited' plan sounds the best for me as I would be using the internet the most. At the moment I am spending about 200 baht a month on topping up my phone, if I get the internet on my phone I would be using less also as insted of texting I can just send messages via facebook.

So do you think I can get a unlimted plan where I can use internet as much as a like and in that package would it come with a certain ammount of minutes for calls?

Thanks for your help, you've been great!

So do you think I can get a unlimted plan where I can use internet as much as a like and in that package would it come with a certain ammount of minutes for calls?

No. Pre-paid plans here are pay-as-you-go by default so there are no bundles. Tyoically you will pay ~ 1 baht/min for calls and then subscribe (layer) on a data plan.

A smartphones’ natural (default) state is to be connected to the internet all the time, via WiFi or mobile (2/3/4G) data, unless the user manually turns one or both access methods off.
Pre-paid mobile data plans here come in time-based ( a fixed number of hours per month) or volume-based (a fixed number of Mega-Bytes of data uploaded/downloaded per month). Tmie-based plans are usually speed-capped from the get-go, maybe at 384 Kpbs, and you pay 1 baht/min when you exceed your cap.
Volume-based plans can be hard-capped or offer unlimited internet usage, but can be speed-restricted (64 kbps – 384 kbps) once you reach your cap. Hard capped plans may incur per min/MB charges once you exceed the cap.
TrueMove H is generally recognized as having the most coverage so that is why they get recommended. DTAC/Happy should also have decent 3G coverage in Hua Hin. I use both TrueMove H and DTAC, and have had great service from both in Hua Hin, although DTACs service is usually a bit faster.
DTAC/Happy have a 1 GB/unlimited (64 kbps speed restriction ocne you reach 1 GB) for 399 (430 baht with VAT) baht/month.
With TrueMove H you have to move up to a 2 GB / 599 baht to get an unlimited internet usage plan. They do offer 1 GB hard-cap for 350 baht.
There are apps. Which allow you to monitor your data usage, and even take action (notifications, disabling data) upon reaching defined thresholds. If you can ‘manage’ your data usage then a hard-capped plan might be the way to go. Or if speed is less vital then consider a time-based plan.
  • Like 1

Your wife's cousin probably bought a second-hand iPhone 4S, as this price is in line with current retail used iPhone 4S prices, or maybe a new iPhone 4 at a slight (500 baht) premium?

Apple. initially more by accident than by strategy, is keeping previous models available and addressing more markets with lower-priced products.

You are correct, sorry for wrong information. My wifes cousin is just a young girl and perhaps was trying to impress her friends. My wife spoke to her in private and got the following information. It is a brand new iPhone 4, not the 4S, the actual price was THB 13,000 but there was a sale/promotion and she got it for THB 10,500 from the old Shopping Mall in Old Town Korat. Apologies to those I got excited about the low price of of a iPhone 4S.