Setup iTunes account with Thai bank card

ubonrthai

I'm helping a friend setup her new iPhone. We setup an Apple ID online and when she tries to download her first app, it requires that she put in her payment info. She has tried 2 different debit cards from Krung Thai and Aeon. These should work as long as they have the Visa and Mastercard label shouldn't they? Both are declined. She's registering for the Thai store with a valid Thai address. Any idea what's going on?

probably something the banks doe not allow.

most thai-debit cards not working "out of the box" in the internet.

kasokorn ofers a "web shopping card" which is a virtual credicard .. can be applied in 2 minutes via online banking plattform.

my aeon credit card works fine on the store ... (i use my aeon card on my wife account, works even the names do not match)

Figured it out. iTunes won't take a Thai debit card. Must be a credit card. If you setup an Apple ID from a browser window, you have the option to check "none" as a payment option. When we first tried setting up an Apple username on her phone I don't recall this option being there and once Apple thought her account was going to put in a credit card number, there was no longer a "none" option looking at it from a browser window.

Moral of the story, when setting up an Apple account for someone who isn't planning to buy anything with a credit card, do it from a browser window on the computer.

Another alternative explanation is that the cards she has are not for online use - my kasikorn card is the same. If you go to the bank they will issue a virtual card tied to the same account that can be used online. Not sure the exact procedure but I've heard it's pretty straightforward.

I use my BKK bank debit card on my iTunes account, no problem. However, you may need to inform the bank first. I think I activated it by dialling '1333' to let them know.

Me too. I did have to do something at one point when I was buying airline tickets online to activate the online debit feature though.