Elephants.

Big new elephant camp setting up. It's the last turn off to the left before Bophut lights heading west ( Maenam). I always have reservations about this, as they are being looked at very closely at different other locations around the Kingdom.

Some of them look like juveniles, I suppose they need them that age to perform tricks.

This is a massive concern & not just a little backwater setup. As I see it , it's purely a commercial undertaking, perhaps some of the folks on here might want to keep an eye open.thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

It's a difficult one isn't it? They did manage to get them off the streets in Bangkok but I guess have to house them somewhere. I don't go to any of these places - monkeys, elephants, etc. out of principal, but hoping they will be looked after.

As Battybird says, this is a difficult one.

Options are running out for these lovely creatures.

Logging bans are threatening their "reason to be".

Though I am as a rule against animals "performing", I sometimes wonder whether a rural existence with the occasional "relatively" light couple of tourists on their lovely backs from time to time, might be in fact be an easier life for them than working in their previous, logging camp environment.

I fear that if they had nothing left to do, they would be neglected and eventually left to rot.

Sadly, as a rule, they would not be welcome in the natural wild environment, where they should be, and God forbid a life on the streets of Bangkok!

On the strict proviso that of course they are "well cared for", could it just be possible that these riding camps might IRONICALLY be a bit of a lifeline for these lovely animals?

Not as good as back in the wild, where they should be of course.

Greater experts than I will no doubt be nearer to the answer of this issue. For me however it remains "food for thought".

Nice to see them "out of camp" grazing in the long grass with their mahouts, on the way up to the house. Wonderful animals!

I thought the buffalo poo was getting bigger!