If you had to send your kids to a good school nearby, what neighboring country

Will2011

The only good reason I can see for sending the family to school overseas is so that he can go out on the town every night. Otherwise, the additional cost would be better spent on a better school in Thailand, and as mentioned earlier by others, the best schools in Bangkok are the equal of the best schools anywhere

-

Wouldn't go that far, at all.

Maybe this: the top handful of the IS in Thailand are definitely as good as "above average" among private schools back home.

The top private prep schools in the US - and I'm sure just as true in the UK and Oz - are as hard to get into as the top universities, only accepting 10-15% of applicants, most in the top couple percentiles in the nation, average-level students don't even bother applying.

Which means the learning process can move along at a much faster pace than normal schools where the teacher has to pace to the middle-level if not lower-level students.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have the money, NIST, Pattana and ISB in Bangkok are equal to or better than other schools in the region.

Wrong.

Not only are the schools not as good.

The OP must remember that only a certain percentage of learning takes place in class. The rest occurs somewhere other than class. Thailand is a terrible place to raise kids because you can't control all the things they'll learn outside of school and your home. If they intend to stay here, and if they are half White, then fair enough -- it mostly doesn't matter. They will be successful -- mostly by virtue of their skin colour.

Edited by PaullyW

besides, whats the difference in the distance? australia, britian, singapore blah blah either way your kids arent coming home till vacation and you arent staying with your kids. the biggest distance is your commitment to your kids

-

Singapore would mean popping home for weekends is practical, lots of school holidays have short breaks mid-term, public holidays create 3-4 day weekends etc.

And Dad can go visit the kids anytime as well.

And, when you go to visit them, you can enjoy the higher quality PRC hookers there. It's legal there. Very nice to have a good steak, some good, strong beer and an eager PRC bird willing to do nearly anything for a reasonable price...

I'm much more nervous about what my kids will "learn" from their peers as teenagers back home than I would here in Thailand.

If you're raising them right they'll make their own sensible decisions, after a certain point you no longer have "control" wherever you are in the world. Or rather if you do, you're doing them more harm than good, much better to teach them early on to learn from mistakes rather than trying to protect them too much too long and they go nuts without any practical experience later on.

The "Canadian" school outside of Shanghai is a farce.

-

May be so, but there are a lot of schools obviously doing it right there

http://www.ncee.org/publications/surpassing-shanghai/

http://www.unescobkk.org/education/news/article/pisa-perfect-comparing-education-in-finland-and-singapore/

That's the Shanghai school system not the "Canadian" school which is outside the Shanghai school system.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thank you all for your comments.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, it was just a simple question to get to know different opinions.

I also mentioned Singapore as it is 2h30 from BKK by plane, which would allow weekly visits the day I'll have a child.

I was thinking about nearby countries because Thailand's education system is supervised by some governmental agencies that are controlled by.... showing local "specificities" that I don't agree with as I come from a world of "freedom"...

I was thinking about nearby countries because Thailand's education system is supervised by some governmental agencies that are controlled by.... showing local "specificities" that I don't agree with as I come from a world of "freedom"...

-

I'm sure you can speak a bit more plainly than that, certainly got me curious.

The quality international schools have zero interference from the Ministry here, since they comply with the very minimal rules regarding teaching Thai language and culture, maintaining accreditation standards, a physical plant inspection every few years really very little oversight since they're aware their administrators know more than they do (although they wouldn't admit so publicly).

What sort of "freedoms" would you think is lacking at the top international schools in Thailand that would be present in other countries?

I honestly can't think of anything along those lines myself.

Edited by boosta

Very strange OP. Prepared to live in Thailand himself, but willing to outsource the day to day to strangers (weekends excepted of course 555) over some perceived neferious influence over his children. Bizarre.

• Like 2

and as mentioned earlier by others, the best schools in Bangkok are the equal of the best schools anywhere

SC

Oh really?

And where do you get that invaluable piece of information?

From ISB monthly ?

I have a few friends who relocated to UK and Canada, had their kids in Patana /ISB

The difference is very notable and it's a steep learning curve to catch back for the kids

Edited by Kitsune

agreed that the op didnt give much thought about his question

besides, whats the difference in the distance? australia, britian, singapore blah blah either way your kids arent coming home till vacation and you arent staying with your kids. the biggest distance is your commitment to your kids

easier to come home from malaysia

its british curriculum right?

-

Better not to waste people's time asking questions you can find out yourself by googling, or in this case you were given the direct link.

IB in primary, UK and Australian mixed in the senior school.

its british curriculum right?

-

Better not to waste people's time asking questions you can find out yourself by googling, or in this case you were given the direct link.

IB in primary, UK and Australian mixed in the senior school.

what would I do without you boosta ?

Singapore IMO will provide a higher level of educator than any school in Los

It might be worth asking the opinions of people with children at the relevant schools.

Or rely on people who can offer up their second-hand gossip through the prism of their own prejudice.

if you value time with your children, then if you live in or near Bangkok, there is no point in sending them to school overseas, unless it is the specifically overseas-away-from-home or boarding experience you are after.

If you're out in the bush then KL, Phuket, Hong Kong, Singapore may be almost as convenient as Bangkokl the substantial difference in cost of living will be small, compared ot the school fees, and I think you'll be surprised how little the school fees differ for comparable schools.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

The only good reason I can see for sending the family to school overseas is so that he can go out on the town every night. Otherwise, the additional cost would be better spent on a better school in Thailand, and as mentioned earlier by others, the best schools in Bangkok are the equal of the best schools anywhere

-

Maybe this: the top handful of the IS in Thailand are definitely as good as "above average" among private schools back home.

The top private prep schools in the US - and I'm sure just as true in the UK and Oz - are as hard to get into as the top universities, only accepting 10-15% of applicants, most in the top couple percentiles in the nation, average-level students don't even bother applying.

Which means the learning process can move along at a much faster pace than normal schools where the teacher has to pace to the middle-level if not lower-level students.

They are not above average, it's only on paper

Sure they have higher grades averages, but it's easy when you select kids through money and academic and just kick them out when the grades are going down

The day I'll have a child.

Have you invested a similar measure of inquisition into meeting the would-be mother?

Real people make good or bad choices and live with the consequences, but I forgot, this is the age of the internet....back to my cave and sorry for annoying thee smile.png

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 1

-

They are not above average, it's only on paper

Sure they have higher grades averages, but it's easy when you select kids through money and academic and just kick them out when the grades are going down

I normally try to hide my ignorance under a veil of silence. I trust it is ignorance, and not deliberate misinformation.

As I say, the OP would be as well to consider the opinions of the posters who have children, and who may have gone through this exercise themselves. I know of several families who have remained at school in Thailand rather than relocating to China or Hong Kong largely due to difficulty of access to schools of comparable quality. The school that my own children are at in Thailand is better than or comparable to what they could hope for in Hong Kong or the UK.

SC

• Like 2

The day I'll have a child.

Have you invested a similar measure of inquisition into meeting the would-be mother?

Real people make good or bad choices and live with the consequences, but I forgot, this is the age of the internet....back to my cave and sorry for annoying thee smile.png

When we made our decisions regarding schooling, we visited the schools in question, and had a look round. We didn't ask random anonymous strangers each with their own hidden agenda and cruelly mischievious sense of humour for advice over the internet.

Perhaps my children will feel bitterly let down in the future

SC

• Like 1

There are some very good schools here. You can take your pick of American, British or consider the IB program.

I personally consider the IB program and the kids graduating from it are accepted at all the top universities around the world.

• Like 1

China is kind of a neighbor.

-

I was talking about the excellent results Shanghai has gotten as an overall education system on internationally respected competitive quality assessments, right up there with Finland, Singapore etc

He said this one private school isn't any good, and I clarified (here) that wasn't relevant to the results regarding their school system as a whole, and then he wanted to say something about the Foreign Office or something. . .

Found this, relevant for Thai kids' attitude about school:

68642e84250b102d94d7001438c0f03b.gif

Edited by boosta

My friends graduated from shrewsbury international school and many of them were accepted to study in many good universities in US and UK, just for your information :)

but if you really want to choose the nearby ones, i'd go for Singapore.