Prisoners To Be Job Trained To Help Solve Labor Shortages

Jai Dee

Labor Ministry will sign MOU on job training for prisoners to solve labor shortages.

The Labor Ministry prepares to make a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the Justice Ministry and the Industry Ministry on training 160,000 prisoners across Thailand, to handle labor shortage problem and reduce the number of foreign labors.

Labor Minister Somsak Thepsutin (สมศักดิ์ เทพสุทิน) revealed that his mMinistry prepares to make a MOU with the Justice and Industry Ministries within the next two weeks on the matter, to provide job trainings for prisoners across the country. He said that the plan is aimed at solving labor shortage and reduce the number of foreign workers, especially in industrial sector. He said the Department of Industrial Works will survey job demands and qualifications in the market, while the Department of Employment and Department of Skill Development will be responsible for job training. He said that the project is expected to begin after the MOU is signed, adding that the prisoners will receive an income exceeding a minimum wage rate.

The Labor Minister added that only 26,000 foreign laborers have registered with the ministry. He said that when added to the old figure of 700,000, the number of workers still do not meet market demand. Therefore, he expected that the job training will bring in hundreds of thousands of new laborers into the country’s workforce.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 March 2006

There are plenty of young Thai's who want a job, but are not willing to

do the basic jobs for a pittance.

I wonder why the government thinks released prisoners will be any different?

Does anyone know the jobs they are talking about that the foreign workers are doing?

I wonder what an employer would rather have, an ex-con or a foreign worker?

Maybe they will teach them English and put them in the schools as English teachers.

Of course, that makes as much sence as training them in the first place.

Guest endure
Does anyone know the jobs they are talking about that the foreign workers are doing?

Maybe they will teach them English and put them in the schools as English teachers.

What, exactly, is wrong with training prisoners into some sort of trade? Would you rather have them employable when they leave prison or would you rather see them in the same situation as when they were imprisoned? Are you one of these people who believes that people are unable to improve their lot?

What, exactly, is wrong with training prisoners into some sort of trade? Would you rather have them employable when they leave prison or would you rather see them in the same situation as when they were imprisoned? Are you one of these people who believes that people are unable to improve their lot?

There is nothing wrong with training prisioners to do some sort of trade. The only thing I question is their reasoning.

The labor ministry says there is a labor problem. Not enough workers. If this is true, why not offer training to Thai citizens who have not broken the law? There are pleanty of farm workers just barley making enough to survive. The labor ministry is not offering these hard working people a chance to learn a trade......for free.

Why offer it to people who have a tendency to get in trouble. What message are you sending to the population.....if you break the law and go to jail we will train you to do a job better than before you went to jail. There is more incentive to break the law than there is to stay out of trouble.

What job do foreign workers do in the industry sector that Thai prisoners can do better upstanding law abiding citizens? Why not offer training to law abiding citizens first for free before you make the tax payers pay for prisioners to learn the trade.

Why not make the prisioners work on the farms and train the farmers families in skills that will help them to make more money than 130 baht a day.

Guest endure
Are you one of these people who believes that people are unable to improve their lot?

the rate of recidivism is remarkably high , everywhere in the world.

why is that ?

Recent figures published by the UK government show that prisoners who have received some form of trade training have a lower rate of recidivism than prisoners who have had no training. They also show that recidivism is much lower in those who have served 'community' sentences than those who have been imprisoned. It might not serve the general public's desire for a bit of revenge but it seems to lower the number of repeating offenders.

Guest endure

There is nothing wrong with training prisioners to do some sort of trade. The only thing I question is their reasoning.

The labor ministry says there is a labor problem. Not enough workers. If this is true, why not offer training to Thai citizens who have not broken the law? There are pleanty of farm workers just barley making enough to survive. The labor ministry is not offering these hard working people a chance to learn a trade......for free.

Why offer it to people who have a tendency to get in trouble. What message are you sending to the population.....if you break the law and go to jail we will train you to do a job better than before you went to jail. There is more incentive to break the law than there is to stay out of trouble.

What job do foreign workers do in the industry sector that Thai prisoners can do better upstanding law abiding citizens? Why not offer training to law abiding citizens first for free before you make the tax payers pay for prisioners to learn the trade.

Why not make the prisioners work on the farms and train the farmers families in skills that will help them to make more money than 130 baht a day.

Presumably they're offering this training to people who have a tendency to get into trouble to try and curb that tendency. I agree that the training should be available to those law abiding citizens who wish to take advantage of it but that's no reason to deny to those who want to get out of the criminal life and start living a decent life.

Recent figures published by the UK government show that prisoners who have received some form of trade training have a lower rate of recidivism than prisoners who have had no training. They also show that recidivism is much lower in those who have served 'community' sentences than those who have been imprisoned. It might not serve the general public's desire for a bit of revenge but it seems to lower the number of repeating offenders.

i cant comment on that because i havent seen those statistics , if they are government statistics massaged to support their policies and the policies of the judiciary then i wouldnt believe them even if i saw them i'm afraid.

community sentencing , or " a slap in the face for the victims " as its better known as , just gives offenders the freedom to carry on offending.

revenge doesnt come into it , but the protection of those who choose to live peacefully within the law from those who choose to live outside the law does come into it.

and the best way to protect is to separate.

and after a suitable period of punishment in gaol , i agree , training should be an integral part of re habilitation. but the punishment part should be of such a nature that nobody would risk offending again and landing up inside.

people do have a choice in life , nobody forces people to offend , and when they do they should be punished hard for it.

thieving , violence , rape , and offences against children. get them off the streets and keep them off the streets.

i wonder what the rate of recidivism is in saudi arabia ?? :o