Connecting A New Samsung Notebook To A Projector?

sirchai

Hello,

A friend of mine had bought a new Samsung notebook with a HDMI connector, which seems to be the solution for the future. We've tried several shops in Ubon R. to find a cable connected to the HDMI port at the notebook and the other end should have a simple VGA connection.

We couldn't find such a cable, but one for HDMI going to an ordinary TV. with three wires. There must be a solution ,experts please do not hesitate to post!

Your help is deeply appreciated.

I can smell the weekend already,\

Cheers-wai2.gif

well, try better shops (computer shops, not TV shops) or order a cable online, because they definitely exist!

beware though, VGA does not support sound.

Edited by manarak

Sorry OP, what input does your projector have? Only VGA?

Then you need this, plus another connection from your laptop to a sound system.

HDMI%20to%20VGA%20gambar1.jpg

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

HDMI is digital VGA is anaglog

What other input does the projector takes ?

graphic cards send both analog and digital signals over the VGA interface and monitors are able to read both (well, many were able before the standard moved to all-digital). Edited by manarak

graphic cards send both analog and digital signals over the VGA interface and monitors are able to read both (well, many were able before the standard moved to all-digital).

Graphics cards difinately sends both anaglog and digital interface if they are have DVI and VGA outputs but not on HDMI it's pure digital.

VGA sends out anaglog while DVI takes in both analog and digital.

DVi sends out both digital and analog and VGA takes in anaglog.

HDMI works with DVI and via versus as both are digital.

HDMI to VGA u need a down scaler or up scaler as one is analog and the other is digital.

Edited by ShopBoy

graphic cards send both analog and digital signals over the VGA interface and monitors are able to read both (well, many were able before the standard moved to all-digital).
Graphics cards difinately sends both anaglog and digital interface if they are have DVI and VGA outputs but not on HDMI it's pure digital.

VGA sends out anaglog while DVI takes in both analog and digital.

DVi sends out both digital and analog and VGA takes in anaglog.

HDMI works with DVI and via versus as both are digital.

HDMI to VGA u need a down scaler or up scaler as one is analog and the other is digital.

well... try it out! then post back your findings smile.png

well... try it out! then post back your findings smile.png

Tried tesed with all the availabe cables we could buy from shops and online. None works.

Bought a few converters/scalers which works but gives out not good quality imgage.

Found a workable coverter and bought it from Kramer but it is not cheap.

vp-422.jpg

You indeed cannot connect a HDMI output from a laptop to an older projector (or monitor) using simply some sort of patch cable.

There needs to be an active device which transforms the fully digital HDMI signal into an analogue VGA signal.

The cables you see in the above pictures can be used with a very few video cards which support the "digital output through vga port" function. And this is only in the VGA --> HDMI direction, not the other way around!

It is actually an often asked question, and the proper answer, as quoted from another website should be:

No, it shouldn't work. HDMI ports on video cards emit digital signals, VGA ports on monitors expect analogue signals.

Cables with HDMI connector at one end and VGA at the other may be designed for video cards that have a VGA connector but which can be made to output HDMI digital signals through that connector. In other words, the other way around from what you want.

You might be better to look for a USB to VGA adapter.

HDMI%20to%20VGA%20gambar1.jpg

Thanks a lot! Sorry, was very busy and just saw your post. That's what my friend's looking for. To connect her notebook to a projector. I know that sound isn't supported.

Again, thanks a lot!-wai.gif

• Like 1

Posted Image

Thanks a lot! Sorry, was very busy and just saw your post. That's what my friend's looking for. To connect her notebook to a projector. I know that sound isn't supported.

Again, thanks a lot!-Posted Image

This will NOT work!!!!

This cable only works in the VGA -> hdmi.direction, and only with a few videocards which support this...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have a Samsung Ultrabook which has a multiport (not sure what the correct name is) for attaching dongles such as LAN and VGA out. If your Samsung has the same, it seems to me a better solution than a 3rd party digital/analog converter that may or may not support various resolutions.

That way the VGA out is native and will definitely work.

Just go VGA from notebook to VGA in on the projector and audio out to audio in - a simpler solution surely?

So simple he would have thought of it already! Obviously it must be a notebook without a VGA port. As stated, he needs an adaptor - not just a cable! You can get them in places like Panthip or online.

• Like 1

Just go VGA from notebook to VGA in on the projector and audio out to audio in - a simpler solution surely?

So simple he would have thought of it already! Obviously it must be a notebook without a VGA port. As stated, he needs an adaptor - not just a cable! You can get them in places like Panthip or online.

The OP stated his projector had no HDMI plug therefore needs an adapter for the projector end. Never saw any mention of the notebook end other than it too has HDMI.

So sometimes the simplest of thoughts are the right answers.

Edited by joncl

The OP stated his projector had no HDMI plug therefore needs an adapter for the projector end. Never saw any mention of the notebook end other than it too has HDMI.

So sometimes the simplest of thoughts are the right answers.

I agree. Many notebooks today do still support VGA out but there is no actual VGA plug because they are too big for the small form factor case.

In that case there is an adaptor specifically for this purpose. Here is an example from Samsung:

http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/pc-peripherals-printer/notebook-pc/npc-accessories/AA-AV2N12B/EX?subsubtype=others