Annual Blood Tests for Burmese Staff? - Question

Daer all please can somebody help?

I have a burmese staff member who is legal with Passport, Visa, Work Permit etc and he needs to go once a year to Nathon for a blood test to re-new his work permit.

Yesterday he went and returned home around midday and did not come to work in the afternnon. I caught him at his house and confronted him as he was being paid for that day and I had asked him to return to work once he finished at the hospital.

He quickly made up some rubbish about the pills he was given at the hospital made him dizzy and he needed to lie down???????

Is this the case? Do the hospital give people pills for a blood test and x ray and would these pills make you dizzy?

Sounds a load of tosh to me but please somebody help as I am pretty annoyed at him for being dishonest and he may end up losing his job.mad.gif

Edited by maxheadroom007

First time I hear that a blood test is needed to renew work permit....

Needed to confirm that you don't have syphilis.

Exactly, and some places even actually do it before issuing a certification letter for the labour department. That started about 2 years ago -- all WP holders every year.

As for being given pills for a blood test or X-ray --- LMAO. No! Have had many X-rays and several blood tests but never been given pills for either.

• Like 1

Exactly, and some places even actually do it before issuing a certification letter for the labour department. That started about 2 years ago -- all WP holders every year.

As for being given pills for a blood test or X-ray --- LMAO. No! Have had many X-rays and several blood tests but never been given pills for either.

Thanks Wavefloater. You are right it is something to do with the labour department but it also ties in with the date he needs to get a new work permit.

As for the pills I completely agree the man is talking rubbish to try and save his job. Thanks for your constructive reply it is greatly appreciated.

You know there is a lot of people with cold / flu like symptoms around right now....that can make people dizzy and just not feeling right,. Perhaps this is what he has and cannot communicate it well .....

Sounds to me you are a bit of a miserable employer ..... No one allowed to be sick .... yish! sad.png

Yeah, go ahead sack him from his job. Then you can dine out, on that experience with your pals. Plus you'll have shown, those, pesk Mynamar staff.
Not to mess, with you.

Edited by Rooo
  • Like 1

All WP holders, every year ?.......not think so.......

All WP holders, every year ?.......not think so.......

the whole point of a blood test is to see if something is wrong with u

if u have nothing wrong with u then u would not need pills

if u do have something wrong with u then u would

i am not sure about the labor laws for burmease but they are allot more strict with burmease than they are euros and americans and every where else so it would not surpise me.

not even sure if they are allowed mobile phones from building labour camps they used to not be alowed outside after a certain time. laws change al the time

put it this way if he went for a blood test and they gave him pills then u just need to ask to look at the pills. if he doesnt have them or has no docuements for them then that is suspicious if he ha then google the medicine and see what it is for and what are the effects.

if you are still not sure tell him to go back to the department and ask for a medical note for his boss. but that is up to u. even if it is in thai you can get someone to translate it and make sure the letter heading is legit

• Like 1

You know there is a lot of people with cold / flu like symptoms around right now....that can make people dizzy and just not feeling right,. Perhaps this is what he has and cannot communicate it well .....

Sounds to me you are a bit of a miserable employer ..... No one allowed to be sick .... yish! sad.png

yes staff are hard to find now with these new stupid laws and minimum wage so to sack someone because they are sick u would have to make sure that they are sick as labour is a pain in the arse to find at the moment with this stupid minimum wage that protect staff but oes not pretect employers which means either everyone goes outof business or empoliy burmease.

problem is that one can get the same wage fro working in a gas station now as working in a restaurant or private business. Which has made allot of Thais go home to work with has left a labour shortage

as they can paid the same in samui as in a small village

Well this particular Burmese man is a highly educated person with two university degrees in English Langauage and History so for him to not understand English is wrong I am a very good employer giving him a good life which he is throwing back in my face.......

??????? Do not get it.........

Well this particular Burmese man is a highly educated person with two university degrees in English Langauage and History so for him to not understand English is wrong I am a very good employer giving him a good life which he is throwing back in my face.......

??????? Do not get it.........

another possiblity if he is a good asset iss that he might have been head hunted as good staff are getting harder and harder to find and shit staff are also hard to find but one thing they all have in common they all want to work and get paid more even if the income to the company does not the high wages valid. in other words the business might aswell close.

if people dont want to work then i just tell them i have allot of work but they aint having it out of spite. when people start getting greedy , paying games and doing poorer work for more money just because they ued to dfo better jobs. then kiss bye bye

who cares about a day of work? if it's the first, let it be.we're all from abroad and if our employer in our home country would treat us that way, we wouldn't be very happy. remove from his salary the day he didn't work and let him rest.

• Like 2

In my opinion, there are two things here.

Did the guy lie and try and get a 'free day off'?

Is he a regular 'dodger' and always trying it on, or is a good employee who had a bad day?

Yes - he probably lied and had a day off..

However, if he is normally a good worker and this is a one off, why make a major issue? Did you never pull a sickie in your working life? As NHJ suggested, just dock his pay, let him know that you are on to him and give him a warning.

• Like 1

Sack him!

But good luck finding someone to replace him as staff are harder to find than gold at the moment but don't let hat put you off u have to be boss not show that u need them or they shall all take the piss

If he lied o take a day off and u really needed him that day then he let u down

If he gets away with it then he shall do it again and again

I would give him a warning letter

3 letters and get your coat

Good staff are hard to find. I would give him a verbal warning and tell him that if it happens again he can bend over and kiss his ass goodbye!

now with these stupid minimum wage laws all staff are hard to find with laws to protect the staff but no laws to protect the employers. now Thais get the same in a 7/11 in samui as they do in a village in the middle of now where where the cost of living is allot lower which is hitting toursime businesses hard including the hotel, restaurant the lot.

so people are getting greedier and demanding to work less for more money. to only way to win is to starve the people out of the castle. If employer take the buscuit then just tell them that u have allotof work with commission but they aint getting it until they sort themselves out.

some business are going on strike. proper bull <deleted>

Thai or burmese mentality to work on the islands is pretty causal from my experience especially with time off, often given just a day or twos notice that they are off to visit, monk, family etc

Simply put the demand especially for good English speakers out strips the supply significantly.They have the upper hand,and know it. Salary demands in this sector also seem to reflect this, need 12k up to 25k to get anyone of any decent level.

As for blood test, yes you need one for WP.