The Ashes Tour 2013

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^ Thanks for that.

I would have given you a like ... but I didn't 'like' the forecast ... 28_2_8v.gif

And after going to all that trouble.sad.png ...............................laugh.png

The weather forecast is my like.......Ashes retained.

I'm not happy with the forecast at all.

I'd rather the Ashes were retained due to cricket; not the weather.

Even if the cricket meant England battening down the hatches today. Such a day can be enthralling to watch; for example Atherton and Russell in Johannesburg 1995.

(Although those who prefer their test cricket be played in the same way as T20 wont agree.)

Australia have been on top for virtually every session of this match; it will be such a shame if it is the weather which robs them of the win they richly deserve.

*theblether scurries away to do a Google search on Lara Bingle.

Here is a nice shot she sent me a while back

attachicon.gifbingle1.jpg

I see you photoshopped a top on to her, your a real gent protecting her modesty like that. smile.png

Well rain stops play and The Ashes are retained. The weather is part of cricket, always has been and always will be as long as it's played outdoors. Anyone that doesn't realize that has got no grasp of the game whatsoever. coffee1.gif

^^ Thanks for that.

I would have given you a like ... but I didn't 'like' the forecast ... 28_2_8v.gif

And after going to all that trouble.sad.png ...............................laugh.png

I would have thought you would be thinking of 5-0 uptheos

I was up to this game.

Re-adjusted to 4-0 biggrin.png

Well rain stops play and The Ashes are retained. The weather is part of cricket, always has been and always will be as long as it's played outdoors. Anyone that doesn't realize that has got no grasp of the game whatsoever. coffee1.gif

Yes, the weather is, always has been and always will be a part of the game. Though perhaps less so now than in the days of uncovered pitches.

But would you have been happy if England had retained the Ashes because all 5 tests were washed out draws?

I wouldn't, and nor would any real cricket lover.

I repeat: Australia have been on top for virtually every session of this match; it will be such a shame if it is the weather which robs them of the win they richly deserve

*theblether scurries away to do a Google search on Lara Bingle.

Here is a nice shot she sent me a while back

attachicon.gifbingle1.jpg

I see you photoshopped a top on to her, your a real gent protecting her modesty like that. smile.png

she does have a cricketing pedigree ...

lara-bingle-cricket.jpg

I know her!!.........that's Sheila.

^^ Even Sheila knows that the weather is part of cricket. coffee1.gif

Yup, gotta win your games when the weather's good.

I've spent summer holidays from school looking at the covers, day in day out. w00t.gif

That's a fact, even in my short school career we had to endure the vagaries of the weather. Being Scotland, if it was light rain we'd play, and if it turned into a monsoon, the Umpire would have a think about it. #

The idea of being given the light was out of the question though, the Umpires reckoned we all had the vision of Moles anyway so they'd have us playing at midnight.

Then they wonder why Scottish cricket is mai dee. coffee1.gif

Everyone is talking like play is already abandoned ... is it pissing down over there?

Slight rain at the moment, and the forecast is not good.

Covers still on, but still 55 minutes until the scheduled start.

Good news is that they will play an extra 8 overs today to make up for the time lost yesterday; if the weather, and Australia's over rate, allows.

Edit:

Rain stopped; covers coming off; fingers crossed.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

^^ Thanks for that.

I'm not happy with the forecast at all.

I'd rather the Ashes were retained due to cricket; not the weather.

Even if the cricket meant England battening down the hatches today. Such a day can be enthralling to watch; for example Atherton and Russell in Johannesburg 1995.

(Although those who prefer their test cricket be played in the same way as T20 wont agree.)

Australia have been on top for virtually every session of this match; it will be such a shame if it is the weather which robs them of the win they richly deserve.

Agree with that.

Some of the best matches of all time end up as a draw.

I still remember Mike Whitney batting out the last over against

Richard Hadlee in the 1987 boxing Day Test to secure a draw.

He was probably out twice LBW but we'll take itbiggrin.png

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Maybe Clarke will surprise us all and keep on batting w00t.gif

Can't understand why he didn't declare last night; say when 300 ahead.

If he had, then the umpires would have asked him if he was going to bowl his spinners, he could have said he would and maybe England would be 2 or 3 down this morning.

BTW, IIRC the highest 4th innings score to win a test match at Old Trafford is 294; but that was before the pitch was re-laid and rotated.

Agree with that.

Some of the best matches of all time end up as a draw.

I still remember Mike Whitney batting out the last over against

Richard Hadlee in the 1987 boxing Day Test to secure a draw.

He was probably out twice LBW but we'll take itbiggrin.png

• Like 1

If he had, then the umpires would have asked him if he was going to bowl his spinners, he could have said he would and maybe England would be 2 or 3 down this morning.

BTW, IIRC the highest 4th innings score to win a test match at Old Trafford is 294; but that was before the pitch was re-laid and rotated.

That is a good point you make, but he couldn't have known at the time.

Hindsight wise, he would have been better going on in the first innings. The extra runs might have been enough to enforce a follow on. Could have had England 3 or 4 down yesterday

Probably lack of confidence in his spinners? If England had got after them he would have brought on the seam attack and then the umpires would simply have halted the play.

Why did Cooke review? Obviously out, unless he thought he may have hit it.

He will mightily regret that review if the 10th wicket falls to a shocking decision and England have no reviews left.