How are roof tiles held down?

davoz45

Hi,

we are just having the roof tiles put on, the concrete double hump type.

Father in-law said they have not been tied properly sometimes only one in five, he says he used to tie everyone, probably overkill. Builder says that every second one should be tied.

Wife said something about glue.

Any one have a idea? I haven't a clue.

If you have a entry to attic from inside the house, listen to fil.

If you tell the every other one, they forget or tie every other row of tile, so tie every one solves all questions. Never heard of glue the tile have holes for the wire tie to go thru and attach to roofing grid.

I think it's more to do with security. If each tile is tied it makes it a bit harder for someone to gain access to the house via the roof from outside. If every second one is tied then easy to slide 1 untied tile and cut wire to adjacent ones.

You might go back to the builders merchants where you bought the "double hump" roof tiles. They should have a brochure showing proper installation. They might have a poster on the wall. Certainly the web site of the major roof tile companies have details on proper installation. EVERY builders merchant will have small displays of several brands including what is shown in this picture. These are NOT expensive at all. Profast is a popular brand of roof tile fastener in Buriram, certainly available all over Thailand. CPAC rebrands one of these firms roof tile fasteners. Proper roof tile fasteners for all sorts of roof tile formats are available at independent hardware stores and all the chain stores.

post-20604-0-46999700-1371459605_thumb.j

post-20604-0-82905900-1371459633_thumb.j

post-20604-0-73469100-1371459649_thumb.j

post-20604-0-39393700-1371459678_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help, I am just seeing construction via email pics. Apparently they went back and tied every second one, which is probably not as good for security but good for access ourselves which I hope is more likely to be necessary .

To the OP ... one thing is confusing me.

Do you have the solid, heavy concrete tile with a glazed finish which is usually tied with steel wire from underneath as per the photo below ...

black-roof-tiles-rainy-day-image.jpg

... or do you have the

Roofing_in_Thailand_2.JPG

Lightweight fibro concrete tile, which require screwing though the tile into the batton underneath?

Or something else?