Where Can I Get A Good Bagel In Bkk?

kkf123

Is there a decent NY Deli in BKK? Unlikely?

Where is the best place to get a bagel. I havent had one in ages!

Best I've done is Au Bon Pain, but no doubt there is better. Sure hope so anyway.

Burrito

AFAIK there used to be someone importing the flour needed to make good bagels, and they don't do it anymore, so tough to find.

Maybe the food markets in Central Chitlom or Paragon have some; otherwise Intercontinental has a few...

Tough to find the ones like (I am told) H&H bagels though.

If a New York pickle isn't just a name, but an actual pickle that comes from New York, perhaps you should ask Narachon or Kat.

Where has Narachon been lately anyway??????? :o

Hey. I think my parents just always refered to it as New York bagels/pickles.

They grew up in Brooklyn, we lived in Miami. The way I took it, te NY label meant that it didnt suck, the same as "real thai food". You probably get the point.

We used to get most of this real NY food in jewish or italian deli's.

If a New York pickle isn't just a name, but an actual pickle that comes from New York, perhaps you should ask Narachon or Kat.

Where has Narachon been lately anyway??????? :D

Hey. I think my parents just always refered to it as New York bagels/pickles.

They grew up in Brooklyn, we lived in Miami. The way I took it, te NY label meant that it didnt suck, the same as "real thai food". You probably get the point.

We used to get most of this real NY food in jewish or italian deli's.

:D a real NY pickle which are made by Jewish or Itailian deli's :o Now thats authentic :D

• 4 years later...

HI THERE,

I am the Chef at a new bagel/deli called BKK Bagel Bakery. We are located:

518/3 Maneeya Center North

Ploenchit Road

Bottom floor of Maneeya Center, right by BTS Chit Lom, next door to Kipling and Haagan Dazs.

We sell authentic, New York-style bagels that are handmade, hand rolled, and unlike any other bagels in Bangkok. They are the real deal!!! We also offer a variety of homemade cream cheeses.

We are open 7:30am-4:30pm, and will be selling sandwiches, salads, and sweets starting March 1.

Come by to try our bagels, you wont be disappointed!!! :)

Hope to see you!

Is there a decent NY Deli in BKK? Unlikely?

Where is the best place to get a bagel. I havent had one in ages!

Best I've done is Au Bon Pain, but no doubt there is better. Sure hope so anyway.

Burrito

Carol, what variety of bagel flavors is your new shop going to be sporting?

That's a good location, easy to access... Hope you do well...

BTW, ABP bagels can get a bit pricey.... 45 to 50 baht a piece, though they're generously sized....

Most of the ABP shops, however, either have pre-packaged or will package for you a bag of 4 for 160 baht...

Edited by jfchandler

OK, boiled bagels are traditional bagels. In that sense they are more, drum roll ... authentic. But authentic is such a loaded word in food talk, food is always evolving. For example, the popular Noah's bagels California chain has very delicious bagels. They are not boiled. Would I choose a traditional boiled Montreal bagel over a Noah's bagel most times? Yes, but I wouldn't kick Noah off the plate either.

Edited by Jingthing

OK, boiled bagels are traditional bagels. In that sense they are more, drum roll ... authentic. But authentic is such a loaded word in food talk, food is always evolving. For example, the popular Noah's bagels California chain has very delicious bagels. They are not boiled. Would I choose a traditional boiled Montreal bagel over a Noah's bagel most times? Yes, but I wouldn't kick Noah off the plate either.

I'm flabbergasted. You actually know your bagels. :o Anyone that has had a Montreal bagel will avoid everything else. My preferred source is the St. Viateur bakery owned by a Portugese fellow that had started out as a baker for the owner.

New York pickles like the Carnegies are not full sours. They are those annoying half and halfs which are almost as bad as "salad pickles" but aren't as pukeworthy since they aren't so sweet.

Be warned, people have died over the integrity of the holy pickle and saintly bagel.

• 1 month later...

a bagel is boiled. period. end of story. it is so objectively essential and basic and not open to debate, and i'm not giving any sort of chauvanistic opinion about how great my bagel-eating childhood was by saying it. if anyone knows how to spell chauvanistic, please let me know.