LPG/NGV in cars... removable?

manarak

I'm looking for a used car, and many come with LPG or NGV installed, and in many cases this takes a lot of space in the trunk.

I was wondering if it is possible to just remove the LPG from the car?

And I also noticed that cars with LPG installed usually are much cheaper - is there a reason for that?

As far as I know NGV is not a dual fuel conversion therefore not removable without an entire process and investment involved to convert the engine to petrol or "benzine" as it's incorrectly referred to there. LP is more easily removed as there are no special components required to make it operate properly in terms of the engine where as NGV usually requires different intakes and the like. It's quite possible to just disconnect most of a given LP system and not use it and still operate the engine normally as long as it's a dual fuel system.

Some cars don't hold up as well to LP so the mistaken presumption is that none of them do that has a tendency to drop the price based on ignorance and assumption.

• Like 1

As far as I know NGV is not a dual fuel conversion therefore not removable without an entire process and investment involved to convert the engine to petrol or "benzine" as it's incorrectly referred to there. LP is more easily removed as there are no special components required to make it operate properly in terms of the engine where as NGV usually requires different intakes and the like. It's quite possible to just disconnect most of a given LP system and not use it and still operate the engine normally as long as it's a dual fuel system.

Some cars don't hold up as well to LP so the mistaken presumption is that none of them do that has a tendency to drop the price based on ignorance and assumption.

thanks, very useful explanation

I don't have LPG but noticed that they drill holes in the intake manifold for the injectors. Not sure if the manifold can be repaired or you might need to source a second hand one.

Depends on the system, if it is a multi-port injection system then there are drilled holes, but still no need to remove the injectors just leave them in place, disconnect everything related and run the engine as is. If it is a single vortex injection unit installed in the intake hose have the vortex injector removed and holes filled(easy enough to do) or a new intake connection hose from a breakers yard or even new and job done.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Some LPG cars have the catastrophic converter removed, so a 7 years old car may not pass an emissions test. Plus as it hasn't been used for ions the O2 sensor maybe useless or removed.

errr... the catastrophic converter converts ions into WHAT ?

Some LPG cars have the catastrophic converter removed, so a 7 years old car may not pass an emissions test. Plus as it hasn't been used for ions the O2 sensor maybe useless or removed.

Do they even do emissions tests? when I went for my last roadworthy certificate or whatever it's called, they just tested the brakes of some kind of roller. Passed:)

Do they even do emissions tests? when I went for my last roadworthy certificate or whatever it's called, they just tested the brakes of some kind of roller. Passed:)

On rare occasions, in over ten years there and never a new car, they only checked mine once at one particular shop. I have to say though I assumed the converters were altered on my LPG cars but found that not to be the case in the only 2 I had modified exhausts on.