Cannot complain on the Japanese bike service prices here too much :)

mania

Saw this on facebook tonight

It was the 12k service on a monster 795...6870 baht

Although 12k is the 1st Desmo valve adjust service of the schedule

I cannot see the letters but am betting the 4000+ is labor

Still seems high when one consider what the mechanics probably get paid here

But still I guess $225 is way cheaper than say a 796 monster 12k service in the USA

1013915_604901956210637_1542637835_n.jpg

1014277_341683879294533_721150305_n.jpg

Edited by mania

I thought Ducati was Italian, but I agree you can't complain about that price.wink.png

laugh.png Heheh yes Ducati = Italian but I meant us folks who ride Japanese brands have no complaints

My Kawasaki service ran 900 baht & I imagine the one that needs valves checked may run 3x that or less

Which is still less than half of this smallest of Ducatis

Even My Isuzu 4 dr Dmax with the largest diesel engine they make runs 4500 baht for the full service which included

valve adjusts & much more wink.png

Edited by mania

some folks who financed a ducati will spend a good chunk of their monthly salary on a service like this

The Thai guy that posted that said he wanted to cry.

He said he went to the ATM before the service & got 4000 baht thinking that would be more than plenty enough.

with all these new Ducati's on the roads now a well trained mechanic could make a good business. Soon these bikes will all be out of warranty and owners are not forced to use Ducati anymore for their services.

• Like 1

One reason why the mid sized kawas and hondas are such good value here now.

If the 4,950b is for service and not a part it's certainly a bit cheeky.

it certainly is. For that price i also would expect the mechanics to wear ducati shirts. getting ripped off in style....

It's unfair, if you buy a motorcycle without understanding, researching or thinking of the service cost …. and then complain it's a bit pricy. I hear people often they bought a Nissan pickup because an issue would be expensive after 5 years... if they bought a similar Isuzu pickup

Same go's for a Ducati, if you buy a top-of-the-line Italian sportsbike you should expect that the service cost is a bit heavier on the wallet... If people think the top Ducati is heavy on service the MV Agusta F4 is serious more costly.... But guys you know that when you buy it... otherwise which planet you from???

Edited by Richard-BKK
  • Like 1

it certainly is. For that price i also would expect the mechanics to wear ducati shirts. getting ripped off in style....

dont they even have a computer sysytem there that actually gives a proper print out receipt as opposed to some crap invoice book that probably cost 100 bht not very professional at all really.

• Like 1

dont they even have a computer sysytem there that actually gives a proper print out receipt as opposed to some crap invoice book that probably cost 100 bht not very professional at all really.

I didn't even get one of those at a Honda dealership off Sukhumvit.

When I asked for it the girl froze, then 10 minutes later she came back with it along with a 100 baht note, apparently the 'mechanic make mistake with bill'. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I didn't even get one of those at a Honda dealership off Sukhumvit.

When I asked for it the girl froze, then 10 minutes later she came back with it along with a 100 baht note, apparently the 'mechanic make mistake with bill'. rolleyes.gif

Funny you should mention that, as I've been down that road myself in Chiang Mai. Quite amusing and a 100 baht either way didn't bother me, as I know how tough their monthly paypacket can be.

100 baht either way didn't bother me, as I know how tough their monthly paypacket can be.

That is the thing...

We know the pay is not up there yet the service charge on this was 4590 baht

Of course in the States we expect it as the pay is probably $20+ an hour.

But here?

I agree with Richard it would be foolish not to know roughly maintenance costs when buying but still

it is hard to allow it to be both ways.

On the one hand we live here & know things are cheaper locally. Labor etc...

We know bikes that are imported cost twice as much...Ok there is a balance

This bike is made & serviced "Here"

But seems like they want it both ways?

Stick the high tax on imports & then still charge like they pay wages?

In this case the dealer is pocketing a lot I think as I doubt any gets kicked back to the mechanic.

Edited by mania

100 baht either way didn't bother me, as I know how tough their monthly paypacket can be.

That is the thing...

But here?

I agree with Richard it would be foolish not to know roughly maintenance costs when buying but still

In this case the dealer is pocketing a lot I think as I doubt any gets kicked back to the mechanic.

whoa, I was just talking about 100 baht issue, not the import duty and major bill concerns.....I'm agreeable on the matter mind you.

Edited by Garry
  • Like 1

whoa, I was just talking about 100 baht issue, not the import duty and major bill concerns.....I'm agreeable on the matter mind you.

hahah yes I was just picking up on the fact that their pay is not too good wink.png

• Like 1

i just checked and the price of this service is 1200 usd in USA!!! and yearly service costs for ducati monsters are around 2400 usd a year!!! wow.

so 6870 thb which is 230 USD is nothing!

and those 100 bahts we pay extra does not bother me as well. By the way, Honda Bigwing Bangkok staff does not accept any tip like japanese style - I tried.

Edited by loserlazer
  • Like 1

i just checked and the price of this service is 1200 usd in USA!!! and yearly service costs for ducati monsters are around 2400 usd a year!!! wow.

and those 100 bahts we pay extra does not bother me as well. By the way, Honda Bigwing Bangkok staff does not accept any tip like japanese style - I tried.

another reason I service my Ducati, that and I can't stand anyone I don't know screwing with my bike. I'm too much of a perfectionist for the mass market servicing scenario.

Edited by Garry

4590 thb for what? how much per hour? or just standard fare for valve check. nothing stated on the bill i guess.

But as you know Thai people are shy to protest on these kind of situations and they just accept.

There would be a standard list of services performed on the bike... oil and filter change - top quality synthetic oil is insanely expensive. On my FZ-1 it costs about Bt2500 just for the oil.

That is the thing...

But here?

I don't know about the Japanese places, but Ducati pays their staff very well here - including the mechanics, who have undergone a lot of training.

That is the thing...

But here?

It is the govt charging the tax, and the dealership charging for the service. The dealerships are also separate entities from the Ducati company.

Ducati 795 = top of the line italian sportsbike. cheesy.gif

Thanks richard. biggrin.png

Could you please explain to the rest of the class why that is so funny? Are you also a motorbike expert?

the thai made ducati 795 is the most basic one available here and its even lower spec then the one made in italy.

So its certainly not top of the line.

top of the line would be the 848, 1199 or streetfighter which cost way more then the 795

An indication of a top of the line bike might be the price so for your information:

http://www.ducatithailand.com/pricelist.php.

Edited by pokerkid

I think you may have a mix up there

In the USA the 7500 Mile check up which is roughly 12000km

they charge $294.80 for valve adjustment portion on a 796 since they do not run the 795

The rest such as oil etc you are allowed to do yourself.

Also yearly costs I have never seen quoted as such just mileage not by time.

I have also seen Panigale costs as high as $1000

But in any case my original post was never meant to be a Ducati Thai service cost

bashing more of a Japanese types celebration at how cheap service here is for Kawasaki, Honda etc.

Edited by mania

I don't know about the Japanese places, but Ducati pays their staff very well here - including the mechanics, who have undergone a lot of training.

Just curious but what is "very well" here in baht?

Do they go hourly pay, daily or monthly?

If you know for sure as hearsay is funny here wink.png

Edited by mania

But in any case my original post was never meant to be a Ducati Thai service cost

bashing more of a Japanese types celebration at how cheap service here is for Kawasaki, Honda etc.

but isn't bashing so much more fun. Afterall we are on thaivisa.....

It is the govt charging the tax, and the dealership charging for the service. The dealerships are also separate entities from the Ducati company.

Let me try to clarify what I meant when I said they cant have it both ways.

Someone buys a Panigale here & pays twice what they pay in the States.

No small amount.

One might think that the trade off is we live in a cheaper country.

But no the maintenance is still high here (relatively )

So the actual cost of ownership is probably cheaper in the West

as the double initial price is still probably more than the West with lifelong maintenance

costs included.

Bottom line is wages here cannot compare with there so labor prices should not either.

Kawasaki & Honda here send their mechanics to training also & have levels of attainment for them.

Edited by mania